Service costs and warranty validity

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am

Mistyone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.
In the long term, I think the annual service costs at an OPC are more than that. By the time, brake disc and pads are added I think the total comes out at about £900 to £1000.

I estimate the long term costs of running via an OPC a Macan V6 petrol on about 10k mileage a year are

Depreciation £5K
Service and regular maintenance £1k
Tyres £1k
Warrant plus assist £0.8k
Insurance £0.5K
Fuel £2.5K

total £10.8k roughly a £1 a mile
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Jon A
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Post by Jon A » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 am

Mistyone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.
Are Porsche still using service books with stamps? Are the newer models not have service records kept on line?
Jon A
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTZYB88
Now Crayon S on order...
Last: Jag Fpace 300 sport
Past: Various Mercs, BM's and a TR7 once...

User avatar
andreas
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Essex

Post by andreas » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:24 am

Dickies16V wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am

Members on here are telling me of £850 for a minor service consisting of a couple of filters, oil change and brake fluid change. I find this quite horrifying. That's daylight robbery and I simply wont be party to it!
Welcome to the Porsche experience!

If you're planning to keep the car for 10 years, there's the potential for some eye-watering repair bills, so an extended warranty could make financial sense.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign wheels, Agate/Pebble leather, 18-way seats, comfort memory, seat heating, Light Comfort pack, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, Power Steering Plus, spare wheel, towbar.

User avatar
Wing Commander
Posts: 15655
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: Swindon

Post by Wing Commander » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 am

pmg wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am
Mistyone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.
In the long term, I think the annual service costs at an OPC are more than that. By the time, brake disc and pads are added I think the total comes out at about £900 to £1000.

I estimate the long term costs of running via an OPC a Macan V6 petrol on about 10k mileage a year are

Depreciation £5K
Service and regular maintenance £1k
Tyres £1k
Warrant plus assist £0.8k
Insurance £0.5K
Fuel £2.5K

total £10.8k roughly a £1 a mile

A new set of tyres every year, driving 10k miles a year!? :o
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCIIPK4

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:44 am

Wing Commander wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 am
pmg wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am
Mistyone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.
In the long term, I think the annual service costs at an OPC are more than that. By the time, brake disc and pads are added I think the total comes out at about £900 to £1000.

I estimate the long term costs of running via an OPC a Macan V6 petrol on about 10k mileage a year are

Depreciation £5K
Service and regular maintenance £1k
Tyres £1k
Warrant plus assist £0.8k
Insurance £0.5K
Fuel £2.5K

total £10.8k roughly a £1 a mile

A new set of tyres every year, driving 10k miles a year!? :o
20 inch Latitude sport 3 around £400 each fitted and I have assumed replaced after 20000. Having done 22k 5k on winters and 17k on Summers the summers are down to 4.5 / 5mm change at 3mm. my figures are anActuary's ones so on the conservative side , i.e over rather than under estimates!!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:46 am

Jon A wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 am
Mistyone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.
Are Porsche still using service books with stamps? Are the newer models not have service records kept on line?
My 2019 S came with a service book and has been marked. In practice, the records are online at Porsche as well if using OPC
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

User avatar
Wing Commander
Posts: 15655
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: Swindon

Post by Wing Commander » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am

I get the over estimate, rather than under estimate approach, but are the figures based on OPC prices? Reason I ask, is I got an OPC to hugely reduce their quote, when I told them what Black Circles were quoting. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCIIPK4

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 am

Wing Commander wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am
I get the over estimate, rather than under estimate approach, but are the figures based on OPC prices? Reason I ask, is I got an OPC to hugely reduce their quote, when I told them what Black Circles were quoting. ;)
No for tyres I look at Black Circles and My Tyres, I have not looked for about 6 months and I admit I think a total for 4 was just over £1k so I could probably bring the tyres bit down to just over £0.5K
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

User avatar
Nuclear Nick
Posts: 2918
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm
Location: Bristol

Post by Nuclear Nick » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:45 am

Dickies16V wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am
Nick

What makes you think a car that has been serviced at an OPC has been any better maintained and looked after than a car serviced at a good indie. You do not need to be Porsche trained to change an oil filter! You have been sucked in by the hype. Granted, you must use original parts but frankly I don't buy this OPC servicing is better, and much prefer to use a smaller garage where I'll get some decent personal service. I do not need to pay £200+ per hour for someone to change a filter. As for recalls, you are notified of urgent matters via DVLA and can also log onto a website to check if any smaller matters are outstanding. You do not need regular OPC servicing to find out what needs doing or get it done for free.

Members on here are telling me of £850 for a minor service consisting of a couple of filters, oil change and brake fluid change. I find this quite horrifying. That's daylight robbery and I simply wont be party to it! Servicing outside OPC does not invalidate the new car warranty although OPC's don't like you knowing that. I will self insure after three years as such a policy has saved me thousands over the years. How to you think warranty companies make their money?

Each to their own of course, but I do know that a fool and their money are easily parted!
You miss the point, which is not what I do or don't think, but what industry retail practice and behaviour has been for many years.

As for calling me and others fools I would suggest that displays breathtaking arrogance which is also displayed in many of your comments. You clearly have your own opinions, right or wrong, and won't take advice from anyone if it conflicts with your own built up prejudices even though you claim to be asking for advice.
Nick

Macan Turbo Sept ‘16 - sold Aug ‘21

991.2 C2 GTS March ‘18

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Percymon
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Percymon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Dickies16V wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am

What makes you think a car that has been serviced at an OPC has been any better maintained and looked after than a car serviced at a good indie. You do not need to be Porsche trained to change an oil filter! You have been sucked in by the hype. Granted, you must use original parts but frankly I don't buy this OPC servicing is better, and much prefer to use a smaller garage where I'll get some decent personal service. I do not need to pay £200+ per hour for someone to change a filter. As for recalls, you are notified of urgent matters via DVLA and can also log onto a website to check if any smaller matters are outstanding. You do not need regular OPC servicing to find out what needs doing or get it done for free.

Members on here are telling me of £850 for a minor service consisting of a couple of filters, oil change and brake fluid change. I find this quite horrifying. That's daylight robbery and I simply wont be party to it! Servicing outside OPC does not invalidate the new car warranty although OPC's don't like you knowing that. I will self insure after three years as such a policy has saved me thousands over the years. How to you think warranty companies make their money?

Each to their own of course, but I do know that a fool and their money are easily parted!

I absolutely agree that the pricing, for what they do, is robbery. But at least for the first 4 years, or even 6 if you can manage to stretch the service intervals to 2yrs each, so 6yrs is the cheaper minor again then its worthwhile for the ease of sale. After that i'd be using a good independent which is what i did with my Boxster.

The price was one factor, the other was me being able to see into the service bays and watching the techs at work ; saw far too many underbody trays being dropped from 4-5' when they released the last few fasteners, alloys being left to fall to the floor onto their rear faces rather than being placed sympathetically to avoid damage. Not how I treat a car, and I don;t expect someone i'm paying £150+/hr to do so either. Unfortunately all main dealers, irrespective of brand, are the same when it comes to pricing - buy oil in 200l barrels for peanuts, yet charge each litre at top up bottle rates or more. Nice money earners - helps pay for the swanky coffee machines, window cleaners and the plants in the showrooms though. Brake fluid changes are probably their best margin - £15 of fluid, 30 minutes work, £165 please sir

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post