Service costs and warranty validity

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4388

Post by Deleted User 4388 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 pm

I have just today finally ordered new S. Been told to expect delivery around July 22 which is fine. I don't usually buy new and certainly don't like using the main stealers for repairs/servicing - they are such a rip off. However, i don't want to invalidate my warranty. Therefore, what is the minimum likely costs during the three year warranty period that I will have to accept having my trousers pulled down and getting shafted. I will keep car for long period and therefore full Porsche service history will not be worth anything by the time I sell it with 100K on the clock.

I understand it is a two year service cycle (I do about 10, 000 miles a year) first is minor service (2 years) and then major (4 years) - is this correct? I also expect an oil change only every intermittent year. Therefore, within the first three years i will need an oil change only (year one) £250?? and a minor service and oil change year 2 about £500-600?? By year three warranty will be out and I'll go indie. Are these costs I've been quoted realistic in members experience on here. I presume i can change a tyre outside of OPC and brake pads etc (OM parts of course) and not invalidate the warranty??

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:28 pm

An oil change at OPC's currently in the range £375 to £450 but it may not be needed until around 20k mileage if the car avoids short runs. 2year service in range £650 to £800 including oil and brake fluid change
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Stevieman
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Post by Stevieman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:41 pm

I just had a minor Service and oil change last week, and with the OPC fixed pricing schedule, it was £874.
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
2002 Boxster S (little project)

Jon A
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Post by Jon A » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 pm

Does it actually categorically say anywhere that if the car is serviced outside of the OPC then the warranty is compromised? Or is it confined to using Porsche approved parts?
Jon A
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTZYB88
Now Crayon S on order...
Last: Jag Fpace 300 sport
Past: Various Mercs, BM's and a TR7 once...

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:15 pm

Jon A wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 pm
Does it actually categorically say anywhere that if the car is serviced outside of the OPC then the warranty is compromised? Or is it confined to using Porsche approved parts?
There is a consumer law that says as long as approved parts and liquids are used the warranty has still to be valid. However, the impact on second-hand values may be greater than the saving. Also, Porsche could refuse to extend the warranty at three years
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Jon A
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Post by Jon A » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 pm

pmg wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:15 pm
Jon A wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 pm
Does it actually categorically say anywhere that if the car is serviced outside of the OPC then the warranty is compromised? Or is it confined to using Porsche approved parts?
There is a consumer law that says as long as approved parts and liquids are used the warranty has still to be valid. However, the impact on second-hand values may be greater than the saving. Also, Porsche could refuse to extend the warranty at three years
Understood, not a huge risk I think. I also don’t buy that Porsche will refuse to extend a warranty at the price (and profit) that it attracts…😂
Jon A
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTZYB88
Now Crayon S on order...
Last: Jag Fpace 300 sport
Past: Various Mercs, BM's and a TR7 once...

User avatar
Nuclear Nick
Posts: 2918
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm
Location: Bristol

Post by Nuclear Nick » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:36 am

Dickies16V wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 pm
I have just today finally ordered new S. Been told to expect delivery around July 22 which is fine. I don't usually buy new and certainly don't like using the main stealers for repairs/servicing - they are such a rip off. However, i don't want to invalidate my warranty. Therefore, what is the minimum likely costs during the three year warranty period that I will have to accept having my trousers pulled down and getting shafted. I will keep car for long period and therefore full Porsche service history will not be worth anything by the time I sell it with 100K on the clock.

I understand it is a two year service cycle (I do about 10, 000 miles a year) first is minor service (2 years) and then major (4 years) - is this correct? I also expect an oil change only every intermittent year. Therefore, within the first three years i will need an oil change only (year one) £250?? and a minor service and oil change year 2 about £500-600?? By year three warranty will be out and I'll go indie. Are these costs I've been quoted realistic in members experience on here. I presume i can change a tyre outside of OPC and brake pads etc (OM parts of course) and not invalidate the warranty??

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
If I were buying a ten year old Porsche with 100k miles on it full Porsche service history would be worth a lot to me and would certainly clinch the deal in any comparisons with other cars on sale. If selling or part exchanging back into retailers they would also attach value to such a history. Also, it is a condition for the Porsche extended warranty that the car has not been serviced or repaired other than by OPCs so, again, would be an important factor for some buyers of a 10yr/100k Porsche. Another factor here is that all recalls and service campaigns need to have been carried out. Indies may not be aware of those requirements.

Service intervals aren't fixed now that Audi engines are being used but is condition and/or use based but if multiple short journeys and frequent cold starts are avoided your estimates are probably still valid.

Yes, provided OEM parts are used for consumables or normal wear and tear items the warranty should not be affected.
Nick

Macan Turbo Sept ‘16 - sold Aug ‘21

991.2 C2 GTS March ‘18

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Deleted User 4388

Post by Deleted User 4388 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am

Nick

What makes you think a car that has been serviced at an OPC has been any better maintained and looked after than a car serviced at a good indie. You do not need to be Porsche trained to change an oil filter! You have been sucked in by the hype. Granted, you must use original parts but frankly I don't buy this OPC servicing is better, and much prefer to use a smaller garage where I'll get some decent personal service. I do not need to pay £200+ per hour for someone to change a filter. As for recalls, you are notified of urgent matters via DVLA and can also log onto a website to check if any smaller matters are outstanding. You do not need regular OPC servicing to find out what needs doing or get it done for free.

Members on here are telling me of £850 for a minor service consisting of a couple of filters, oil change and brake fluid change. I find this quite horrifying. That's daylight robbery and I simply wont be party to it! Servicing outside OPC does not invalidate the new car warranty although OPC's don't like you knowing that. I will self insure after three years as such a policy has saved me thousands over the years. How to you think warranty companies make their money?

Each to their own of course, but I do know that a fool and their money are easily parted!

User avatar
pmg
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:42 am

Dickies16V wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am
Nick

What makes you think a car that has been serviced at an OPC has been any better maintained and looked after than a car serviced at a good indie. You do not need to be Porsche trained to change an oil filter! You have been sucked in by the hype. Granted, you must use original parts but frankly I don't buy this OPC servicing is better, and much prefer to use a smaller garage where I'll get some decent personal service. I do not need to pay £200+ per hour for someone to change a filter. As for recalls, you are notified of urgent matters via DVLA and can also log onto a website to check if any smaller matters are outstanding. You do not need regular OPC servicing to find out what needs doing or get it done for free.

Members on here are telling me of £850 for a minor service consisting of a couple of filters, oil change and brake fluid change. I find this quite horrifying. That's daylight robbery and I simply wont be party to it! Servicing outside OPC does not invalidate the new car warranty although OPC's don't like you knowing that. I will self insure after three years as such a policy has saved me thousands over the years. How to you think warranty companies make their money?

Each to their own of course, but I do know that a fool and their money are easily parted!
Look at the minor service schedule, and you will see it is more than oil, filters and brake change, It involves a lot of checks. I am not saying £850 is cheap is expensive.

I was professionally trained in financial risk in a profession that sets insurance premiums. Normally I avoid insurance products that are not compulsory apart from buildings and contents insurance and vehicle insurance above the third party. I have spent hours in car dealers telling their financial consultants why I am not buying gap or tyre insurance etc. A Macan is a fairly complicated vehicle especially if it has air suspension. I thought hard about running my Macan long-term within the official network or using an independent. I do not have an independent that is convenient and the OPC is relatively so. On balance I have decided to go down the OPC plus extended warranty route rather than independent and self insure. On the route I have chosen, I know my costs are roughly capped and within my retirement income/budget. On the independent and self insure route that would not be true and removing the risk of a very large repair bill is worth to me than the extra cost.

I agree with Nick that the market sees extra value in a vehicle with complete OPC service and repair record strictly logical or not
Last edited by pmg on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Mistyone
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 am

Post by Mistyone » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am

I agree with most of what you say, OPC costs are a rip off. However, i have a DS on a 17,plate so you also need to factor in that its servicing requires to be carried out up to a max. of 2 years as long as you dont do big mileage. I do about 6K a year so in fact you should half those costs compared to most other makes of car which needs servicing yearly. I estimate my servicing costs to be about £500 to £600 a year if carried out at a OPC. Still a little high compared to other makes perhaps, but i consider it worthwhile just to get that OPC stamp in your service book. Hopefully money recouped at sale time.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post