Trackers - alternative view

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Thanks for all the comments.
I think I am going to:

1. Look at a Disklok (I've looked before but been worried about the effect on the alcantara steering wheel and the practicality of actually using and storing it) and
2. Ghost (which I've heard a lot about). I had the Voda tracker on my Macan and the batteries went often and were a right pain to replace, and when there is a theft alert you immediately lose the ability to track the vehicle so you can't actually tell if it is moving or where it is. Plus it takes a while to call you (or you to get in touch with them) so you can't even react.

I think I'll shop for GAP insurance. Only had 1 puncture on the Macan so not sure about tyre insurance though.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Paul1970 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:26 pm Thanks for all the comments.
I think I am going to:

1. Look at a Disklok (I've looked before but been worried about the effect on the alcantara steering wheel and the practicality of actually using and storing it) and
2. Ghost (which I've heard a lot about). I had the Voda tracker on my Macan and the batteries went often and were a right pain to replace, and when there is a theft alert you immediately lose the ability to track the vehicle so you can't actually tell if it is moving or where it is. Plus it takes a while to call you (or you to get in touch with them) so you can't even react.

I think I'll shop for GAP insurance. Only had 1 puncture on the Macan so not sure about tyre insurance though.
For me, I am going to add a disklok for peace of mind but I have also ordered a tracking device (not from Porsche) which is significantly cheaper and will fit once my car arrives. @Madelvic is a good source of knowledge on the Tracker front.

I think I may also go down the ghost route as a friend of mine has a business that supplies and fits them.

Cheers
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.
If it's of any help we recommend these. Maybe they can offer you some advice.
https://www.gapsecurity.co.uk/
Regards,
Dan.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

One thing to ask of any company that you are buying a tracker from “How will you help recover my vehicle if it is stolen”
Because, if you think the police will investigate, locate and recover, you will be left very frustrated.

Trackers are not the be all and end all of finding and recovering your vehicle and, in my experience, many tracker sellers, don’t even know how to decipher the data from their own products.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

The other thing that now concerns me re trackers, having read up more today, is whether if one goes for a tracker other than the Porsche fitted one you would be at risk of invalidating the warranty. This hadn’t even occurred to me until now.
Also, reading up on Ghost I found someone saying he had it on his RR and it must have been hacked because his car was stolen off his driveway.
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Paul1970 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:41 pm The other thing that now concerns me re trackers, having read up more today, is whether if one goes for a tracker other than the Porsche fitted one you would be at risk of invalidating the warranty. This hadn’t even occurred to me until now.
Also, reading up on Ghost I found someone saying he had it on his RR and it must have been hacked because his car was stolen off his driveway.
Surely that there is zero risk of invalidating your warranty because you fitted a 3rd party tracker to your car :shock: . How on earth would/could that invalidate your warranty? It's like saying you can't stream music to your car unless its via a sim card through Porsche? Just my thoughts. :roll:
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I have third party trackers fitted to my cars. No issues so far with Porsche Centres. Plus if need be they can be removed by me in minutes. One off cost is £30 to £40 and a £10 SIM lasts several years

I'll do a post on these. Accept it won't be to everybody's liking but willing to share what I've learnt/experienced
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

MacanSman wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Paul1970 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:41 pm The other thing that now concerns me re trackers, having read up more today, is whether if one goes for a tracker other than the Porsche fitted one you would be at risk of invalidating the warranty. This hadn’t even occurred to me until now.
Surely that there is zero risk of invalidating your warranty because you fitted a 3rd party tracker to your car :shock: . How on earth would/could that invalidate your warranty? It's like saying you can't stream music to your car unless its via a sim card through Porsche? Just my thoughts. :roll:
Ordinarily I’d agree, but having read so much about a Dashcam supposedly risking the warranty I can’t see why a tracker wouldn’t have the same outcome (albeit one like Ghost which is connected via the electrics (as I understand it)
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Madelvic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:41 pm I have third party trackers fitted to my cars. No issues so far with Porsche Centres. Plus if need be they can be removed by me in minutes. One off cost is £30 to £40 and a £10 SIM lasts several years

I'll do a post on these. Accept it won't be to everybody's liking but willing to share what I've learnt/experienced
I've bought one Madelvic as suggested, and look forward to your post on installation etc :D
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

MacanSman wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm
A tracking device will normally need a power supply. If you take a power feed from the vehicle you have adapted the wiring, this is how your warranty could be compromised.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)