Trackers - alternative view

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Rarecolour wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:18 pm
MacanSman wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Paul1970 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:41 pm The other thing that now concerns me re trackers, having read up more today, is whether if one goes for a tracker other than the Porsche fitted one you would be at risk of invalidating the warranty. This hadn’t even occurred to me until now.
Also, reading up on Ghost I found someone saying he had it on his RR and it must have been hacked because his car was stolen off his driveway.
Surely that there is zero risk of invalidating your warranty because you fitted a 3rd party tracker to your car :shock: . How on earth would/could that invalidate your warranty? It's like saying you can't stream music to your car unless its via a sim card through Porsche? Just my thoughts. :roll:
A tracking device will normally need a power supply. If you take a power feed from the vehicle you have adapted the wiring, this is how your warranty could be compromised.
I know Porsche Centres can be incredibly picky, but the write-up I've just published uses fused leads that plug into unused fuse sockets. No wires cut and can be removed in a literally a minute. I've taken it out for PC visits and equally left it in. No issues so far.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Madelvic wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:10 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:18 pm
MacanSman wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Surely that there is zero risk of invalidating your warranty because you fitted a 3rd party tracker to your car :shock: . How on earth would/could that invalidate your warranty? It's like saying you can't stream music to your car unless its via a sim card through Porsche? Just my thoughts. :roll:
A tracking device will normally need a power supply. If you take a power feed from the vehicle you have adapted the wiring, this is how your warranty could be compromised.
I know Porsche Centres can be incredibly picky, but the write-up I've just published uses fused leads that plug into unused fuse sockets. No wires cut and can be removed in a literally a minute. I've taken it out for PC visits and equally left it in. No issues so far.

Well I've not read your write up, but that's not very secure is it. Just plugs into an unused fuse socket, pretty easy to disable!
There's a reason the loom is/should be spliced into where it can't be accessed easily when a tracker is fitted so it takes the scumbags longer to disable.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Well I've not read your write up, but that's not very secure is it. Just plugs into an unused fuse socket, pretty easy to disable!
There's a reason the loom is/should be spliced into where it can't be accessed easily when a tracker is fitted so it takes the scumbags longer to disable
I have one of these fitted to my VW T25 van and I'm very please with it. If power to the tracker is cut the device will send you a text alert and then runs of the internal battery for a number of days. Call the sim number and you will get location details including a link to the location on google maps.

There are lots of addition features if you enjoy fiddling with this kind of stuff. You can even set it up to cut the ignition remotely. I wouldn't fancy wiring this in on my Macan but easy on an older vehicle like my T25.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

bobajob wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:46 pm
There's a reason the loom is/should be spliced into where it can't be accessed easily when a tracker is fitted so it takes the scumbags longer to disable
I have one of these fitted to my VW T25 van and I'm very please with it. If power to the tracker is cut the device will send you a text alert and then runs of the internal battery for a number of days. Call the sim number and you will get location details including a link to the location on google maps.

There are lots of addition features if you enjoy fiddling with this kind of stuff. You can even set it up to cut the ignition remotely. I wouldn't fancy wiring this in on my Macan but easy on an older vehicle like my T25.

If you have an easily accessible power feed, doesn't take long to trace your tracking unit and remove it from your vehicle. Have a hidden feed, and they have to strip your vehicle to look for it.

A tracker is pretty much only as good as the installer. I used to fit Trackers many years ago and had to replace some that have been previously fitted by other installers, it was pretty embarrassing seeing some of the installed units.
I had to have one fitted to my previous car but wasn't allowed to install it myself (insurance company wanted their approved installer to do it) while I was at work and my car was at home with the wife, when I got back it took me 5 minutes to find it! Insurance company and tracker weren't interested cause their approved fitter had signed it off.
I would also add, please don't put how YOU install or where YOU install your units on the Internet. 👍🏻
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Porsche cars have load monitoring systems that keep certain circuits live when they are intended to power save by shutting down after a preset period of time after the ignition is turned off.

There should be no warranty issues if any additional device is added to the car in a non invasive manner.

Piggy back electrical connection with its own battery pack to power the device ie tracker or dashcam should do nothing to the warranty.

One can argue that after having spent over £60k on a car Porsche should ensure that the installed systems are reliable and fit for purpose, the Yodafone Tracker system is imo next to useless and we have paid for this rubbish system in buying the car and we should not have to fit third party devices to our cars.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

On an episode of a police documentary show last week, a guy had his camper van stolen. The tracker worked a treat and police stopped it on the M1 and arrested the driver. The steering wheel had been cut through with an angle grinder to remove external steering lock and then dashboard had been hacked to pieces in order to hot wire a start - estimated over £4K worth of repairs.
This is why I would not be keen on having the car back after a theft to order of this nature. Would it not make sense to have a top quality immobiliser instead as this way it can’t go anywhere under its own steam??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

TBH I've had the same thought. Would I really want a stolen recovered vehicle back?
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Jon A wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:38 pm Would it not make sense to have a top quality immobiliser instead as this way it can’t go anywhere under its own steam??
This is my kind of view. Only problem is, the scum nowadays will break into your property while you're still there just so you can tell them how to disarm it. The low life have no fear cause they go around in groups loaded with weapons.
A big ass angry dog will be better than a tracker or immobiliser.
If you're really unlucky, you could have Audi dealerships like in the Midlands where they were selling your address to scum so they could turn up and take your pride and joy!
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)