Standard Black-Why Not?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
hood69

Post by hood69 »

So my lock date for finalising my GTS spec is fast approaching and I'm none the wiser on colours except I don't want Miami Blue ,either Whites or Midnight blue despite liking it.
On seeing some of the pics of the black GTS cars I was pretty impressed with the black GTS models.
My question is why is standard black never chosen?
I previously had a non-metallic black on a couple of Audis as well as a pearlescent black and to be honest I didn't particularly like one over the other.
It seems every black macan is the Jet black metallic and just wondered does nobody consider standard black?
At this stage of the game I'm veering towards Carmine but do like the mean look of black and it also would blend in the front nose though I'm sure we will get used to that in time-even the new M4 front nose is starting to be less offensive.

So thoughts on why no standard black's out there?

andreas

Post by andreas »

Strangely, I've just been looking on the confuserator at Boxster specs, and I thought exactly the same. Why pay £600+ for metallic black? Having said that, I specified Jet Black metallic for my Macan, but I'm not sure I'd have noticed much difference if it'd been solid black. Maybe it's a resale consideration?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I originally went with solid black, but on consideration changed to the metallic simply because when it's clean and the sun is shining then there is a definite sheen. Problem is those two events occur only twice a year.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
pmg

Post by pmg »

Paint has two purposes. to protect the metal beneath and to help make the vehicle visible. Any black fails the latter test at which Carmine excels ( nearly as well as bright yellow ;) ;) )
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Carmine Red has always been the launch colour for the GTS. In my totally biased opinion, that's the one to go for.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

I was always told that metallic shows up swirls less than solid black and slightly easier to maintain

When clean solid black looks amazing, for about 10 mins after cleaning

I’d avoid black tbh
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Carmine sucks.

It is a very dirty looking colour, I used to regularly see one and when it was actually covered in dirt and grime it was even worst.

Black, always has and always will looks the best but only when freshly cleaned.

My Audi was Misano Red, now that was bright and the red a car should be.

Good luck making your choice.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I think Macans are quite colour sensitive and some of the very dark colours like black or volcano can make them look very ordinary, a bit “ho hum”.
Colour is entirely a personal choice of course and for the record I happen to think that carmine is one of, if not the best colour. I think miami, crayon and gentian are also attractive, but all are bold choices and will not blend into the “another black/grey SUV crowd.
No right or wrong here and no criticism to anybody regardless of colour choice - just opinion 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

pmg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:35 pm Paint has two purposes. to protect the metal beneath and to help make the vehicle visible. Any black fails the latter test at which Carmine excels ( nearly as well as bright yellow ;) ;) )
Sadly that is incorrect. After significant studies the safest aircraft colour is ........................ black. The eye picks it up quickly. It is also why you rapidly notice a fly whizzing around you or zapping about the cabin.......

red is the colour the human eye dismisses most readily. If traffic lights were being introduced today, the stop light would not be red..........
;)
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

The standard black and white don't have the extra layer of laquer found on the metallic finishes.