Base stereo

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

pmg wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 pm
BanZ wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 pm I recently picked up a gen3 with Bose. I haven’t tried a base stereo but I’m not impressed with the Bose for £800 at all. If I order another Macan I won’t be selecting Bose again. Just my 2 cents.
Speakers take time to produce their best, I would wait at least 6 months before final judgement. so even judging a showroom car or demonstrator can be misleading
That’s not a universally agreed upon notion and many people disagree with this.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... -in.11898/

Makes interesting reading.

Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I spec’d Bose in my 2019 Macan S, I’m not impressed. I’ve not spec’d it for my gen 3 GTS.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

When I bought my Canton soundbox for the TV, the bloke in the shop said to give it the full beans every now and again to break in the speakers. It may be the same with the Bose. My ears are not a good as they were, but I can here quiet passages when the car is stationary and engine off through the Bose. Not sure that Porsche just stick a Bose badge on the base system as it's not just the speakers but several amps in the boot. The Burmester in my son's Merc is better but he has an EV. The engine in mine is a disappointment noise wise. Plenty of grunt and power but it's rough and gruff. I would rather have a straight six any day.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
macanboi

Post by macanboi »

We have a gen 3 picked up just over a week ago and I was stressing out over the audio.
In the end I opted for the base as hadn't heard stellar things about the Bose and was told the base audio is Bose anyway.
On picking the car up the audio was my biggest concern. But I shouldn't have worried the base stereo sounds great.
The Bose upgrade seems like a way to fleece people, bit like the second cheapest wine on a good wine list will be.
All in all, more than happy I opted for the base stereo.
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

macanboi wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:38 pm We have a gen 3 picked up just over a week ago and I was stressing out over the audio.
In the end I opted for the base as hadn't heard stellar things about the Bose and was told the base audio is Bose anyway.
On picking the car up the audio was my biggest concern. But I shouldn't have worried the base stereo sounds great.
The Bose upgrade seems like a way to fleece people, bit like the second cheapest wine on a good wine list will be.
I think the base audio is from a company called Becker. Not sure if they are part of Bose though 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

I have the basic sound system in a Gen 2 S and think the sound quality is worse than in my 20 year old Peugeot and numerous Vauxhall company cars in the 90s. I only ever play the radio at low volume – no SD cards or anything like that. The tone controls have to be adjusted so the treble is turned right down and the bass slightly up and even then it sounds poor with the treble over-accentuated. It’s what I call the tinnitus sound. FM is a little better than DAB but the system mainly tries to play DAB. At home I’m a hi-fi buff so I like to think that my ears are in decent shape.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I parked a Gen3 Macan with base system next to my Fpace with Meridian surround sound and played same tracks from same iPhone on both at low and high volumes. Neither me, my wife or my adult son could discern any difference, other than a very slightly deeper base from Jag. Not sure if this was about cabin acoustics, but both were stationary with engines off. I am sure Burmister will be appreciably better, but imho the base system is very good.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm
macanboi wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:38 pm We have a gen 3 picked up just over a week ago and I was stressing out over the audio.
I think the base audio is from a company called Becker. Not sure if they are part of Bose though 🤔
The Gen 1 were Becker which is now owned by Samsung. The Gen 3 are the same heads as Bose so I would assume they are Bose but minus the boom box in the boot hence lower output, and fewer speakers. My guess is the Gen 2 are the same as the Gen 3.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I do wonder if there is an element of the “vinyl is the only true sound source” brigade about this. I have loads of vinyl and a fairly expensive record player but I prefer MP3’s. No hisses, pops, bangs of occasional skipping. To self proclaimed audiophiles that makes me a heathen. But I suspect what it really does is makes me the same is pretty much everyone who listens to a car stereo.