Porsche Connect

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 am
pmg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 am
I find a USB stick a far better reliable form of music provision
Does it have a USB reader?
Yes, two in the front and two more in the back, but USB C, not the original that all the flash drives in this household have! Mine are only really used as phone chargers because I invested in a big SD card which has the music library copied to it and lives permanently in the car, what other possible use is there for that slot?

Incidentally, you can use the voice control to play the music, only tried by artist so far, that worked! I never stream music and despite several pleas have not signed up for the "data package" with no ill effects. I have, though, paid up the £159 to keep Connect going and it earns it's keep.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

pmg

Post by pmg »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:27 am
Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 am
pmg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 am
I find a USB stick a far better reliable form of music provision
Does it have a USB reader?
Yes, two in the front and two more in the back, but USB C, not the original that all the flash drives in this household have! Mine are only really used as phone chargers because I invested in a big SD card which has the music library copied to it and lives permanently in the car, what other possible use is there for that slot?

Incidentally, you can use the voice control to play the music, only tried by artist so far, that worked! I never stream music and despite several pleas have not signed up for the "data package" with no ill effects. I have, though, paid up the £159 to keep Connect going and it earns it's keep.
I read somewhere only the two in centre consul have USB connectivity as well as power. The two USB or USB C connections in the back only provide power? I have used voice control to control the USB stick music, to move to that source or change artist. Sometimesthe voice control gets confused and brings in the artist on amazon prime streaming I have on my phomne but do not intend to use because of the reliability of the phone signal
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Hours of fun to be had! :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
RGS

Post by RGS »

I must admit I got confused regarding the Porsche connect app which I recently renewed for the princely sum of £159 only to get a message yesterday reminding me that my Porsche Car Connect was expiring in 30 days and renewal was another £99 ! The two names are similar but on different subscriptions. The Porsche connect basically gives you another year of live traffic information and since I also use Waze, I guess that was a waste of money. As far as I can make out, over the air navigation an software updates are not affected if you choose not to subscribe, but I could be corrected on that.. The £99 Car Connect app basically give remote information on your smartphone for things like total mileage, last trip info, tyre pressure info, service due dates, find my car info and other remote controls depending on your particular vehicle. It's a handy app but not essential, more manufacturers are adding subscription services also in order to fleece as much as they can from their customers so Porsche are not unique, just more expensive !
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You’re not alone in getting confused over Porsche’s nomenclature! But what you describe is what I pointed out on October 7 following your original post.

OTA map updates or the other online services that are part of the Navigation and Infotainment package will not continue if you don’t subscribe.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 pm You’re not alone in getting confused over Porsche’s nomenclature! But what you describe is what I pointed out on October 7 following your original post.

OTA map updates or the other online services that are part of the Navigation and Infotainment package will not continue if you don’t subscribe.
are/were they driven via the SIM slot that is no longer provided or was that for your own SIM if you didn't want to use the Porsche one?
pmg

Post by pmg »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 pm You’re not alone in getting confused over Porsche’s nomenclature! But what you describe is what I pointed out on October 7 following your original post.

are/were they driven via the SIM slot that is no longer provided or was that for your own SIM if you didn't want to use the Porsche one?

Over the air updates under a Connect subscription arrive by the inbuilt Vodafone sim not from any sim inserted in any present or not centre cubby sim slot ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

RGS wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:34 pm I must admit I got confused regarding the Porsche connect app which I recently renewed for the princely sum of £159 only to get a message yesterday reminding me that my Porsche Car Connect was expiring in 30 days and renewal was another £99 ! The two names are similar but on different subscriptions. The Porsche connect basically gives you another year of live traffic information and since I also use Waze, I guess that was a waste of money. As far as I can make out, over the air navigation an software updates are not affected if you choose not to subscribe, but I could be corrected on that.. The £99 Car Connect app basically give remote information on your smartphone for things like total mileage, last trip info, tyre pressure info, service due dates, find my car info and other remote controls depending on your particular vehicle. It's a handy app but not essential, more manufacturers are adding subscription services also in order to fleece as much as they can from their customers so Porsche are not unique, just more expensive !
I believe that £99 just gets you access to the tyre pressures, location and locked status of the car from your phone. I didn't renew that and haven't missed it. The £159 keeps navigation, POIs, fuel info and voice control for all those, something after 2 years of sceptical avoidance I'm now using more and more. Try it, beats the hell out of programming destination using the screen! The £159 also keeps the navigation plus allowing you to add & delete destinations from your phone. I find it money well spent.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ I suppose there’s no harm in repeating it again, even in the same thread! It’s confusing enough to ‘old hands’ let alone new arrivals.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

are they both included in Year 1 ?