BASE v S v GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:38 am
sd1985 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 am
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:16 pm

I still think the word “better” needs to be use with care. If you aren’t interested in a v6 engine then the base Macan is “better” for you out of the 3 cars. If you want something thats fast, comfy and well specced ( and, lets not forget, has last years GTS engine) then the S may be a “better” car for you. If your focus is performance then….well, you get the idea.
I dont think we will ever agree on this :)
100%. And to be clear, because I know I need to spell it out for the GTS frat boys (joking, you know who you are) I'm just saying the use of the word "better" is very subjective. There are plenty of reviews that say the Base model is all you'll ever need, or the S is the sweet post, or the GTS is the king of the hill and we all chose the one we feel proves we are right. Basically we all pick the model we like the most or best fits what we are prepared to spend on a car (or can afford). I "can" afford a GTS, my S is only about £2k short of the price of a GTS but for me the S is a "better fit" to my needs and, yes, budget. I can get a lot of extras in that price that make the car more suitable for me, and the GTS comes with a lot of things I absolutely don't want. So its better for me, but not a better car (if you see what I mean). I would never say the S I have ordered is "better" than a base, it just fits my needs better.

So, to be clear, I am arguing semantics not automotive design, and clearly have too much time on my hands. Anyway, pretty sure I've done that to death now.
I think we all have to much time on our hands and probably to much money to be wasting on cars as well ;)

1st world problems eh

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

sd1985 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 am
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:38 am
sd1985 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 am

I dont think we will ever agree on this :)
100%. And to be clear, because I know I need to spell it out for the GTS frat boys (joking, you know who you are) I'm just saying the use of the word "better" is very subjective. There are plenty of reviews that say the Base model is all you'll ever need, or the S is the sweet post, or the GTS is the king of the hill and we all chose the one we feel proves we are right. Basically we all pick the model we like the most or best fits what we are prepared to spend on a car (or can afford). I "can" afford a GTS, my S is only about £2k short of the price of a GTS but for me the S is a "better fit" to my needs and, yes, budget. I can get a lot of extras in that price that make the car more suitable for me, and the GTS comes with a lot of things I absolutely don't want. So its better for me, but not a better car (if you see what I mean). I would never say the S I have ordered is "better" than a base, it just fits my needs better.

So, to be clear, I am arguing semantics not automotive design, and clearly have too much time on my hands. Anyway, pretty sure I've done that to death now.
I think we all have to much time on our hands and probably to much money to be wasting on cars as well ;)

1st world problems eh
absolutely :D
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Once upon a time these discussions were reserved for the pub over a few pints, oh happy days....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4436

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:20 am Once upon a time these discussions were reserved for the pub over a few pints, oh happy days....
definitely. I think once our cars start turning-up and the world is starting to get back to normal we should all meet up in the middle of the country somewhere and do just that.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Reviews mean zilch, nothing, na da.

It is what is going to work for you and your family that matters.

If all you want out of a car is a display of class and superiority you buy a Roller or a Bentley.

A Porsche is about a Sporting, quality, well designed and manufactured car that is for most people an aspirational car to covet and to dream of owning.

So test drive the various models and do your research into what is and what is not standard fitments then build a configuration that will include all the necessities of your chosen car.

A quick test drive with an SE sat next to you is no use whatsoever, you really need to test drive a car as close in spec to what you intend to include in particular seating, suspension and wheels since these govern the ride and handling.

I have long advocated test driving over a known route that includes all types of roads. Then take out a Jag or Beamer over the same routes and not the differences.

You then throw everything out of the window and say its my first Porsche so I am going to town and getting a GTS :D
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 am
definitely. I think once our cars start turning-up and the world is starting to get back to normal we should all meet up in the middle of the country somewhere and do just that.
Yes, haven't seen a proper pub brawl in a lot of years!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4436

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am
Yes, haven't seen a proper pub brawl in a lot of years!
Zimmer frames at dawn 🤣
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:20 am Once upon a time these discussions were reserved for the pub over a few pints, oh happy days....
GTS drivers will be at the pub first in the best seats with smug looks on their faces.

Though it might need to be 2023
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Orange juices all round...!! ;) 🍊
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Wonder at what point surging energy prices begin to impact manufacturing costs and therefore consumer prices …
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose