2021 Macan S vs 2018 Macan GTS - Cost vs Time

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 am If you do your research further you should find that a GTS is a far more desirable car than an S and hence retains its value.

I would suggest consider getting the GTS & also to place a deposit on a Gen3 GTS.

See how thinks go, as you will only heed to firm up the contract to buy the Gen3 at spec lockdown which will be c6 weeks prior to the build date. You then decide keep, trade in or sell privately.

Can you share some of the research that shows its “far more desirable” and to whom it is more desirable? Given that the one that sells the most is the base model Macan I would have thought that alone makes it “the most desirable” as its the one most people actually buy.

Not saying you’re statement is wrong, just saying I’m interested in the data. I would have thought if it was based on desire rather than purchase, or even on the boot badge, the Turbo would have been more desirable than the GTS.

SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

For what it’s worth, here are the actual 2020 registration figures for all the Macan models taking the figures from the Howmanyleft site using pages such as this one for the S
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/p ... -a#!newreg

Macans.png

The S is clearly in the lead. The Base had as many registrations as GTS and Turbo combined.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Deleted User 4436

SmallWheels wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:14 am For what it’s worth, here are the actual 2020 registration figures for all the Macan models taking the figures from the Howmanyleft site using pages such as this one for the S

Macans.png

The S is clearly in the lead. The Base had as many registrations as GTS and Turbo combined.
Thanks. Shows how “research” works. All the reviews I have read so far have all said the base Macan is their biggest selling model. Seem that’s wrong. So the reviewers also need to do a bit more research. Maybe the base has sold more over the total time the Macan has been on sale. Or possibly those numbers are UK only, and globally the base
Macan sells more
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:21 am
SmallWheels wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:14 am For what it’s worth, here are the actual 2020 registration figures for all the Macan models taking the figures from the Howmanyleft site using pages such as this one for the S

Macans.png

Thanks. Shows how “research” works. All the reviews I have read so far have all said the base Macan is their biggest selling model. Seem that’s wrong. So the reviewers also need to do a bit more research. Maybe the base has sold more over the total time the Macan has been on sale. Or possibly those numbers are UK only, and globally the base
Macan sells more
In terms of total sales, since the 2014 launch of Macan, the SD was the biggest selling model and until it was dropped for the 2019 model year. The base Macan was then touted as the "best mpg" option with it's demise.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I would say the base Macan is the biggest selling model globally. China is a huge market, and they sell tons of base Macans there.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Not sure the volume of sales translates very closely to the depreciation ratios on this model. The number of sales is just down to affordability coupled with those buyers who are happy with an everyday Macan.

A lower volume of GTS sales should be less supply but as its more the enthusiasts Porsche then surely there are less buyers as well?

Interestingly found this website which calculates depreciation in terms of monthly cost so you can set used cars against new cars.....not sure what data/algorithims they use but strongly suggests that i'm far better off buying new.

themoneycalculator.com/vehicle-finance/calculators/
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches
Deleted User 4436

Smokey99 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:10 pm Not sure the volume of sales translates very closely to the depreciation ratios on this model. The number of sales is just down to affordability coupled with those buyers who are happy with an everyday Macan.

A lower volume of GTS sales should be less supply but as its more the enthusiasts Porsche then surely there are less buyers as well?

Interestingly found this website which calculates depreciation in terms of monthly cost so you can set used cars against new cars.....not sure what data/algorithims they use but strongly suggests that i'm far better off buying new.

themoneycalculator.com/vehicle-finance/calculators/
So for clarity ( and again, I know this can be read as snark so I want to be clear it isn’t meant to be ) are we classing “desirability” as being the same thing as residual value in this context?
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

If you don't ask, you don't get so why don't you go to that OPC tell him you'll take the GTS now and place a deposit for a new Macan S if you can work out a decent deal on the used car? He might be very keen as he's be getting a good car back in 6-9 months, make another wedge on it & sell a new one. The T&C's for the deposit will be the same so you can still cancel up to spec lockdown date.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Deleted User 4436

Alfanut wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:50 pm If you don't ask, you don't get so why don't you go to that OPC tell him you'll take the GTS now and place a deposit for a new Macan S if you can work out a decent deal on the used car? He might be very keen as he's be getting a good car back in 6-9 months, make another wedge on it & sell a new one. The T&C's for the deposit will be the same so you can still cancel up to spec lockdown date.
If you have the money to do that, given the state of the second hand car market just at the moment, that may be a really good idea. You'd probably end up making money on the deal. Even on my Mini I am being offered £1500 more now than I was in July (by the same company). This second hand car value bubble will burst, but probably not in the time it takes your S to come through.
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Alfanut wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:50 pm If you don't ask, you don't get so why don't you go to that OPC tell him you'll take the GTS now and place a deposit for a new Macan S if you can work out a decent deal on the used car? He might be very keen as he's be getting a good car back in 6-9 months, make another wedge on it & sell a new one. The T&C's for the deposit will be the same so you can still cancel up to spec lockdown date.
That's actually a really interesting proposal..... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches