2021 Macan S vs 2018 Macan GTS - Cost vs Time

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Ok folks so this may or may not be a fair fight but having placed my deposit for a nicely specced 21/22 Macan S at around £66k I’m now getting itchy feet.

Been looking longingly at beautiful 2018 GTS with a very nice spec for around £10-£12k less and of course saving the luxury car tax and delivery charge of £1900.

If we make an allowance for the fact their different models you could argue the saving is closer to £15K-£20k and not having to wait around 8-9 months.

I’m sure I’d be happy with a 380bhp S but it was the 2018 GTS that first got me seriously considering a Macan in the first place.

I’m more comfortable at the lower price but have the funds for the new model.

What would you do?

Stick or twist? 🤷‍♂️

Chris
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

2018 GTS if it has your ideal (or close to) spec, and especially if it has a lowish mileage :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

What is the lead time on the new car?

Go with the GTS and sell it when the new car arrives? Or just keep it
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

The improved tech of the Gen 2 and Gen3 cars over the Gen1 plus surround-view camera at the rear having a washer, would mean I personally would not buy a Gen 1 car now
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nothing wrong with Gen 1 Macans.

Surround Cam on my Turbo works very well.

The GTS is pretty well equipped without options so if the one you are interested in has what you want, go for it.

A standard GTS at that time had 8 way seats as standard so do check what is fitted to the one you are interested in.

An OPC can look up the actual supplied spec, all they need is the cars VIN
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

I would go for the new model as it's 3+ years newer and also drop off some options to get the price down. Depending how long you plan to keep the car the new one will, I'm sure, hold its value better because it's newer. Once the chip shortage passes the value of older cars will most likely drop back to close to where it was so there will be big depreciation on cars bought used at the current time.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Smokey99 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:34 pm Ok folks so this may or may not be a fair fight but having placed my deposit for a nicely specced 21/22 Macan S at around £66k I’m now getting itchy feet.

Been looking longingly at beautiful 2018 GTS with a very nice spec for around £10-£12k less and of course saving the luxury car tax and delivery charge of £1900.

If we make an allowance for the fact their different models you could argue the saving is closer to £15K-£20k and not having to wait around 8-9 months.

I’m sure I’d be happy with a 380bhp S but it was the 2018 GTS that first got me seriously considering a Macan in the first place.

I’m more comfortable at the lower price but have the funds for the new model.

What would you do?

Stick or twist? 🤷‍♂️

Chris
Is the price of the GTS the going rate for this year/model? Unsure of what the original OTR price was but seems reasonable obviously out of warranty now though. You could always put the reg into WBAC and see what they value it as 👍
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

SmallWheels wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:05 pm I would go for the new model as it's 3+ years newer and also drop off some options to get the price down. Depending how long you plan to keep the car the new one will, I'm sure, hold its value better because it's newer. Once the chip shortage passes the value of older cars will most likely drop back to close to where it was so there will be big depreciation on cars bought used at the current time.

I agree.
The brand new one will have:

No previous owner's scuffs, marks, kerbing damage or pollution.
3yrs warranty (full peace of mind) and road assistance.
Brand new set of tyres, battery, exhaust, discs and pads.
No service needed for 2 years.

This above all adds up money wise for new vs secondhand.

Also the latest spec and tech.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Thinks............2018............... will have had four year service (probably) well specced? Better 'buttons', nicer rump and soon to be (ok 12 months) £135 VED and just as comfortable and quick in the real world as a new one.......................................

Thinks again.................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Thanks guys and fully expected the split responses. Its not cut and dried is it.

Just for context as sone have mentioned warranty.....the car I'm looking at is at a Porsche Dealer and therefore comes with a 2 year Porsche Warranty and assist package which seems pretty comprehensive. This is worth about £2000-£2500.

Also I'm told (and it seems genuine) that all Porsche AD's have to refinishing the front of the car to near new condition to satisfy Porsche guidelines.

Spec is very good with 18 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Dynamic PDLS, Alcantara and the usual GTS goodies so better than the S.

I think the last version of the GTS will hold it value reasonably well as good ones will be in short supply. If I buy now will it lose more than £10-£15k over the next 2 years?

But the fact that for around £10k I can spec an almost ideal 380BHP S is very very tempting but I'm already bored of the wait.
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches