New build v secondhand ???

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

I’m currently,y in the market fir a secondhand GTS and have seen a few messages here from those who’ve decided to go for a new build rather than dip into the secondhand market.

My thoughts are to avoid new as the price differential / depreciation for me makes this less viable. But given the higher prices of the secondhand market. ( and ignoring the wait for a new build) is this now a viable option ???

Some may always like to buy new and accept the price depreciation ( taking a longer term view) and others may like the value that the secondhand£ market (used) to offer,

So is it that the overpriced secondhand market makes new more viable? Or will there always be those who buy new and accept the finically hit?

Anyone done the numbers on this recently an£ changed their minds on new v used?
TIA
Tim

SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

This will depend on the numbers and the options you’re using for the sums. From reading this forum, as I see it, it depends on whether you want a highly optioned car or not, as it’s the options that depreciate the most. There’s also a worthwhile premium, in my view, for getting exactly the spec you want.

Remember that a new S will give you the performance of the Gen 1 or 2 GTS and with air suspension you can lower it and engage sports mode so you are most of the way to a GTS. The look may not be quite the same but does that really matter ? I prefer the slightly lower key look of the S but it’s a personal thing. Work through the numbers for a new S and see how it compares with a used GTS if you can find one. I know that what I paid for my lightly-optioned new S was quite a lot less than used GTS models advertised.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

I think a new GTS with a small number of options will do very well, so I’d get a new one.
The car market will suffer shortages for a couple of years yet I’m informed.
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

Food for thought. Thanks.

I’m now off to compare new S v older GTS v new GTS - weigh up the depreciation/ options/ timescales.

I’ve historically been quite impatient when I decide I want to change my car, seems older age is slowing me down ;) and I love my current RS5.

Thanks all
pmg

Post by pmg »

At present, new is the better option from the financial point of view. The issue is are you happy with your current car and prepared to wait more than a year for a new GTS or probably at least 6 months for a new S. Car on the road worth more than one in parts on a container ship etc.

New does have the risk of further increases in car purchase taxes at forthcoming budgets.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
cc3

Post by cc3 »

Issue you have is join the 12 month wait list for a new GTS or pay a high price for a second hand GTS

My 15 month GTS cost £70k Webuyanycar value at £67k so a dealer will put it up for £77k

I have an Gen 3 on order list £78k values will be underpinned by low supply and new EV Macan will start as Turbo at £85k plus

Probably a question of how patient you want to be to either join the new list or find the second hand car you want. There is not a lot of choice at present

They are fantastic cars so you won’t be disappointed whichever way you go
hood69

Post by hood69 »

The value is in new at the moment for sure and the reason being you can't get them and that could continue for some time.
Ifyou can't do the waiting thing take half a day off some midweek and phone around the dealerships for a cancelled S order.
They will be out there .Unlikely to be spec changeable or they would go to the next person on the list but I bet there will be a few.
I did this for a Gen2 GTS about a month ago(as I wasn't sure how long my gen3 GTS order was going to be) and turned up 3 cars one of which I managed to change the spec on.There were 2 or 3 Turbos available too but pricier.
Nobody has a crystal ball but I see the residuals on these being very strong for a few years yet.
If you do buy new the on the road fees are over £2K so you need to factor that in.
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

I did a comparison between the two a few weeks ago ( keep in mind its Australian spec). https://www.macanforum.com/threads/how- ... -s.180708/ In short it will depend on what you pay and what you’d like on the car. Keep in mind the GTS is the more sporty version so usually have more options and goodies ( air susp, sport chrono and sport exhaust). If those options or the GTS look ( black rims, badge cache) is more important for you, it is the one to go for. I appretiate the S’s more stealth look by comparison;)
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

Thanks all for the continued assistance.

Loved this comment by cc3

“ They are fantastic cars so you won’t be disappointed whichever way you go”

It’s a reminder that I’m buying a car I desire, so whilst money is always a factor, owning and driving the right Macan is the priority.

Thanks all
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

cc3 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 am Issue you have is join the 12 month wait list for a new GTS or pay a high price for a second hand GTS

My 15 month GTS cost £70k Webuyanycar value at £67k so a dealer will put it up for £77k

I have an Gen 3 on order list £78k values will be underpinned by low supply and new EV Macan will start as Turbo at £85k plus

Probably a question of how patient you want to be to either join the new list or find the second hand car you want. There is not a lot of choice at present

They are fantastic cars so you won’t be disappointed whichever way you go
CC get a quote off 'Motorway' they knocked WBAC out of the park.

When I put my deposit down on a Macan in April my 2015 Q3 started at £12k with WBAC. It has crept up gradually since then and the latest on Motorway this week was over £17,800!!!!!