EU speed limit tech from 2022

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
cc3

Post by cc3 »

Hope my new car arrives before this is fitted

https://industryeurope.com/sectors/tran ... s-by-2022/

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I suspect it wont be long if similar tech is used to replace speed cameras ie wherever you are your car is tracked against the speed limit and fines issued automatically. Insurance companies will eventually make black boxes mandatory too.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Quote from the above link:

ISA can also be temporarily overridden, by pressing the accelerator hard to the floor, for example when overtaking.

This might be OK in a Fiat 500 for example but would be downright dangerous in something like a Macan GTS.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 4436

Imagine this functionality on your new Ferrari or Lambo.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Difficult to see how this can be introduced ‘by 2022’ when we’re nearly there! Some cars will have the tech but many will not. There’s been some fairly mischievous speculation in the press about this for a year or two now. Hopefully the final implementation in the UK won’t be quite as draconian as the EU politicians would like it to be.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

I’ll get a whole load of 5mph signs made up and put them up outside my house. Possibly have one I can hold out the car window when someone tries to overtake me so their car suddenly slams on the brakes. Seems like a really sensible and safe idea.
Deleted User 4436

Should probably look at the website that posted this “news”. Their about page says:

Industry Europe offers targeted advertising placements in our printed and online magazines focused on specific issues, which provide high-impact visibility to boost your presence and show off your skillset to Europe’s manufacturing sector.

So its click-bait for advertising
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Most of the Tech’ needed is out there already. The Satellites above can track where the car is. And our Sat Nav’s show our present applicable speed limit, which can be programmed into a database. Just that pesky black box in the car, and a database to suit, and boom, more revenue for the government.😭
RAA

Post by RAA »

I wonder if the drivers on the German Autobahn will eventually have a speed limit imposed.
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

Speed limiter tech is already built into my Gen 2 (you can select Cruise control or Speed Limiter from the stalk) so they just need to link this to the speed limit detected from nav and they have a solution. BTW - I keep mine set to Cruise as I have only found it had the Speed Limit option recently !!

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981