Roof Rails - Popular Option?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My opinion is that all models apart from the GTS should have them, I use mine a lot with my roof bars. However, it’s disappointing that the black finish does seem to go off colour.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

The Macan is an elegant, tall bruiser with big wide wheels, mahoosive and (if you have a Gen 1) seriously noisy factory exhausts, and a get out of my way Porsche front end. Slick and smooth?

The roof rails help me carry bikes, boxes, wood, stuff to the tip without ever sullying the interior, and whatever I need on a road trip.

So roof rails get my vote👍 And they do make the car look balanced, for an SUV😉

Lots of people on Amazon and eBay sell stick on roof bars for the Macan, but they are all for show. Retrofit really is a no, no. Better/more cost effective to just part ex for one with.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Kleynie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 am My opinion is that all models apart from the GTS should have them.
As my dearly departed grandad would say, “what a load of old tripe” :lol: its an SUV not a sportscar, I have specced my Gen3 GTS with them but you will be happy to know my 911 does not have them :mrgreen:
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Guys, thanks for your views.

On reflection, I think I will keep them in my spec.

The car looks great with and without them, and I think when coming to sell, it would be benefit a buyer who has a family or requirement to transport additional luggage or bikes.

Now I know what is involved to retro fit, it's a relatively small price to pay now rather than later.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am
Kleynie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 am My opinion is that all models apart from the GTS should have them.
As my dearly departed grandad would say, “what a load of old tripe” :lol: its an SUV not a sportscar, I have specced my Gen3 GTS with them but you will be happy to know my 911 does not have them :mrgreen:
Why

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/porsc ... -even-911/
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Guy

Post by Guy »

I had roof rails on mine for skis, as I was living in Bavaria at the time.

I can imagine that driving to the slopes from UK could be more popular this year, which reminds me, I must list my new unused Konig snow chains for sale on the forum! :idea:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

My preference as I don't need roof rails, picture (hopefully) of my Gen 3 Macan S order in Dolomite Silver

Macan S Gen 3.jpg

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I had roof rails on my Landrover and never used them. I’m an adult so don’t own a bike, and if I did I’d ride it rather than adorn the roof of my car with it. I’ve also never been in the situation where the car was so full I had to put stuff in a box and strap it to the roof.

If I were to get them it would be solely based on aesthetics, and I do think they look quite good. At the end of the day, however, I decided to put the money into other toys from the Porsche goody bag.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Tracky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:32 pm
r1flyguy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am
Why

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/porsc ... -even-911/
Because if I need to carry any decent load and with family I’ll use the Macan.
However, yes I do have the option to fit a roof box to the 911 as you don’t need roof rails fitted at time of build thankfully :)
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Specked them on mine. And as a real DIYer, I’ve used them many times. In fact they’ve been a real bonus, when needed.. As said earlier, the don’t look bad at all, and it is after all an SUV. But it’s purely a matter of choice.