Roof Rails - Popular Option?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Decided to leave them off on my order as I like the sleeker profile look without rails.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

I don’t get the slickness argument.

For the me roof rails add extra ‘length’ and pull the car back making it look more… erm… slick.

The ‘mottling’ or rainbow effect on the gloss black is easily sorted with some tlc. Plenty of information about on how to sort it.
Hunnmere

Post by Hunnmere »

I have them on my GTS (the transport system [cross bars] from Porsche cost £197 a set).
Thule do a system for Macans without Roof Rails - this costs about £240 if I remember correctly.
2021 Macan GTS (showroom model - too many accessories - in Crayon)
2017, 2019 Q5
2015 RS3
2011 TTS
Assorted other makes
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am
Kleynie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 am My opinion is that all models apart from the GTS should have them.
As my dearly departed grandad would say, “what a load of old tripe” :lol: its an SUV not a sportscar, I have specced my Gen3 GTS with them but you will be happy to know my 911 does not have them :mrgreen:
It is an SUV but the whole GTS thing means it should look sportier with its lowered suspension and sport’s addenda.
Anyway, that my opinion, but I never buy new so wouldn’t get a choice.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:53 pm I’m an adult so don’t own a bike, and if I did I’d ride it rather than adorn the roof of my car with it.
Well I’m an adult if 49 years and I own two bikes, but I have a Porsche tow bar mounted system to transport them.

By the way, some of us actually use a bike for commuting.

I have used the roof bars for transporting a ladder and also a real Christmas tree a couple of times, very handy.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Kleynie wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:48 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:53 pm I’m an adult so don’t own a bike, and if I did I’d ride it rather than adorn the roof of my car with it.
Well I’m an adult if 49 years and I own two bikes, but I have a Porsche tow bar mounted system to transport them.

By the way, some of us actually use a bike for commuting.

I have used the roof bars for transporting a ladder and also a real Christmas tree a couple of times, very handy.
i’m sure they have a use, I’ve just never had to use them on the only car I owned that had them, ( landy ). I did think about speccing them on the Macan though because I think they look quite good on the car, but ultimately decided that I’d not use them and they were a bit pricey just for aesthetics. As with all options I’d never suggest people don’t get them just because I didn’t, I can see there would be a use for them, just not for me.