Warranty

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 pm Well Porsche don't even know what their policy is. I bought an SD from Porsche Bolton as a used car. It had one year of the standard three year warranty to go and then was covered by the two year Porsche Used car warranty. Bought my 'S' from Chester in April. Asked if the same deal applied and was told categorically not. Just the two years Used Car warranty. On inspection, I have a one year Used Car warranty which begins in June 2022 when the 3 year one runs out. Sharp practice I fear. I have challenged them and they say it is normal practice.
Maybe it's just the actual OPC that is wrong and doesn't understand.
When I bought my GTS in October, the 3 year warranty ran out end November , which is when the 2 year used car extended warranty ran from/to.
This ties in to your earlier SD purchase.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White

AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

JurassicGTS wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:03 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 pm Well Porsche don't even know what their policy is. I bought an SD from Porsche Bolton as a used car. It had one year of the standard three year warranty to go and then was covered by the two year Porsche Used car warranty. Bought my 'S' from Chester in April. Asked if the same deal applied and was told categorically not. Just the two years Used Car warranty. On inspection, I have a one year Used Car warranty which begins in June 2022 when the 3 year one runs out. Sharp practice I fear. I have challenged them and they say it is normal practice.
Maybe it's just the actual OPC that is wrong and doesn't understand.
When I bought my GTS in October, the 3 year warranty ran out end November , which is when the 2 year used car extended warranty ran from/to.
This ties in to your earlier SD purchase.
My Macan was registered on 27.11.18 and I bought it in September 2019, so just under a year old. The invoice says the warranty expires on 27.11.2021. When I bought it I was told I'd just have the rest of the manufacturer's warranty I.e. a balance of just over two years. This will obviously be coming to an end in a couple of months.

Should I be getting the 2 and a bit years manufacturer's warranty and then after that the 2 years Used Car warranty?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 pm Just received my letter from Porsche re warranty. Either 1,2 or 3 years, on a 2016 SD. If purchased before expiry of existing warranty, 1 £800, 2 £1440 and 3 £2160. Just a few quid more if purchased after expiry of existing.

Like many insurances, the odds are stacked in favour of the insurer. All depends on one’s ‘attitude to risk’ and ability to pay for any repairs, should they arise. It’s unlikely that any needed repairs would exceed the cost of the warranty, but... What price does each owner put on peace of mind...? :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
davewf

Post by davewf »

Well I took out a two year extended warranty and when an oil leak was found from the timing chain cover it was a totally stress free repair with OPC dealing with the insurance etc. Yes this is a known issue and I guess I might have got a good will payment from Porsche but would still probably have had to pay a fair bit myself. OPC billed Porsche UK insurance £5K for this work which involved dropping the engine out.

If you look at the cost of the insurance compared to depreciation on a new car it just makes sense, my car is 5 years old in December and if I keep it and don't move over to the dark side of electric I will probably extend by a year.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

davewf wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 am Well I took out a two year extended warranty and when an oil leak was found from the timing chain cover it was a totally stress free repair with OPC dealing with the insurance etc. Yes this is a known issue and I guess I might have got a good will payment from Porsche but would still probably have had to pay a fair bit myself. OPC billed Porsche UK insurance £5K for this work which involved dropping the engine out.

If you look at the cost of the insurance compared to depreciation on a new car it just makes sense, my car is 5 years old in December and if I keep it and don't move over to the dark side of electric I will probably extend by a year.
I pretty much always extend the warranty if I keep the car. I tend to be quite risk adverse anyway, and its nice knowing that if something horribly expensive does happen I've already budgeted for it. Of course, they'll always try to wriggle out of it and things like clutch plates (I assume the PDK gearbox has those) will undoubtedly be very expensive and probably not covered, but it still takes a lot of the stress away.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ As you say, for the risk averse, warranties are ideal! :)

Obviously, you every person that ‘avoided’ a £5k repair bill, there will be others that buy warranties and never claim on them. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 am ^^^ As you say, for the risk averse, warranties are ideal! :)

Obviously, you every person that ‘avoided’ a £5k repair bill, there will be others that buy warranties and never claim on them. ;)
I made a claim on my Aston warranty, which ended up being about £150 worth of work (seemed to be a big problem, but was just a sensor). I then sold the Aston and the Aston Insurance people said that as I had made a claim they were not able to repay ANY of the £1895 policy, even though it still had abut 10 months to run. Bit of an expensive mistake that one.
pmg

Post by pmg »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:48 am
Wing Commander wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 am ^^^ As you say, for the risk averse, warranties are ideal! :)

I made a claim on my Aston warranty, which ended up being about £150 worth of work (seemed to be a big problem, but was just a sensor). I then sold the Aston and the Aston Insurance people said that as I had made a claim they were not able to repay ANY of the £1895 policy, even though it still had abut 10 months to run. Bit of an expensive mistake that one.
At least as I understand it the Porsche one transfers if you sell to an individual but proportionally refunded if you sell the vehicle in motor trade??
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Guy

Post by Guy »

pmg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:33 am At least as I understand it the Porsche one transfers if you sell to an individual but proportionally refunded if you sell the vehicle in motor trade??

Yes mine was refunded pro-rata when I sold to the trade via Wizzle. It took over two months of chasing to get the refund though!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:25 pm Trevor, agreed but I suspect all dealers, regardless of brand are likely to be similar. Might the answer be to hang on to the Porsche, hard to beat as a conveyance, but go independent for maintenance?

My local OPC, Sheffield, is owned by JCT600 and I've recently head tell of the effect their ownership had on customer service and staff moral at "The Carpeople" a cars sales supermarket they bought out of family ownership. Other OPC franchisees are: Listers, Sytner and Pendragon to name three, might any of them be better? I'm not overly optimistic it might all come down to establishing a relationship with one decent contact in the business.
For one I regret what has happened to car dealers over the last 20 years as they transformed from primarily being sellers of cars to sellers of financial services. I have found very little difference between the major franchises locally for BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and the other quality brands. When the BMW dealers for Western Hampshire and Sussex all need up being owned by an American financial conglomerate there was an exit of car knowledgable salesman and high salesman turnover has continued since and long term contacts were lost

I did look at the last accounts for Inchcape PLC who are purely vehicle wholesalers and retailers and own Portsmouth and Bournemouth OPC. The companies Profit in 2019 was 4% of turnover and 2.5 % in 2020. I suppose that shows the costs of the centres and the corporate overheads
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8