MY22 Burmester option

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Hello All,

I’m newly registered to this forum as I took the plunge on the weekend and placed my £3k deposit against a Macan S (OPC estimates delivery in early 2022 😢)

I’m someone who likes better audio quality (expensive systems at home) and always specified Bang & Olufsen on my Q5’s, and Harman Kardon on BMW’s. (B&O better in my opinion). I have ticked the box for the Macan Burmester option, never having heard one in a Porsche, only in a MB.

Anyway, was wondering if any of you have optioned it on your new build or if any of you have it on your existing car ?

As my OPC wasn’t very forthcoming, can anyone let me know....

A) which of the higher fidelity file formats it supports/ you use .... DSD?, 64/128/256? , FLAC?, WAV?

B) any idea what the storage capacity is for the system?

Thanks very much 😀
Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Welcome. Pretty new here myself. Bit unlucky on your delivery date, i only placed my order 2 1/2 weeks ago and have a build date of Oct with estimated delivery in Nov.

I actually just went with the base stereo. I’m a semi-audiophile but not sure sitting in a car is the best place to appreciate music. I originally specced the Bose then thought about how often I have anything on in my car as anything other than a slight background distraction. Certainly if anyone is in the car with me I prefer talking. I have an upgraded system in my current car, but turns out its a bit wasted on me.

That being said, i would never suggest my views should influence other people’s buying decisions, and frankly if money were no object I’d probably spec the Burmester ( isn’t that carpet ?) system too.
Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Zadkiel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm Hello All,

I’m newly registered to this forum as I took the plunge on the weekend and placed my £3k deposit against a Macan S (OPC estimates delivery in early 2022 😢)

I’m someone who likes better audio quality (expensive systems at home) and always specified Bang & Olufsen on my Q5’s, and Harman Kardon on BMW’s. (B&O better in my opinion). I have ticked the box for the Macan Burmester option, never having heard one in a Porsche, only in a MB.

Anyway, was wondering if any of you have optioned it on your new build or if any of you have it on your existing car ?

As my OPC wasn’t very forthcoming, can anyone let me know....

A) which of the higher fidelity file formats it supports/ you use .... DSD?, 64/128/256? , FLAC?, WAV?

B) any idea what the storage capacity is for the system?

Thanks very much 😀
These 2 queries relate to the capabilities of the PCM system rather than the Burmester (which is just the amp/speakers). If you download the Porsche Good To Know app on your phone then select Macan MY2021. Then go to the Entertainment and Communcation->Media->Porsche Communication Management section, it gives details of the supported audio and video formats and max capacities.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Thanks, I didn’t know about the good to know app, thats, erm, good to know..about.

Ta
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Thanks Atlantis v. much for the info. re. PCM and the app. I’ll have a look 😁

@ OmniCognateSnr, thanks for the thoughts. In my case, as (pre covid) I regularly drive up and down the motorways to various sporting competitions with a fast asleep teenager in the back, I have lots of time to enjoy good music (plus something heavy played at v. high level when I want the sleepy-head to wake up)😜
Macan S arrived May’22.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Since MY 2019, the Porsche PCM has not offered what they used to call jukebox storage. So the limit is whàt the system can read on a USB stick or sd card. The limit is 10000 files. Sd cards are limited to128gb. It play most formats including flac, MP4, mov, wmv and aac. Max320 kbit /sand 48khz sampling.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

“I’d probably spec the Burmester ( isn’t that carpet ?”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan S arrived May’22.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I thought the Burm was a significant improvement, very good bass from the rear sub.

I've loaded a couple of cards with wav files which it seems to recognise well, Spotify Premium playlists are good.

You'll often struggle to tell the difference between 320k and wav files, can just be a difference in op amps in dacs.

PMC / Bryston / Lyngdorf user at home.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Thanks a lot pmg and Tim.

Issue I now have... reading the discussions about new order specs, is to drop the Burmester & loaded S combo I had chosen and instead just go for a GTS with BOSE - that works out only c £3.6k more, but it is £3k over my budget (will have to scratch around behind sofas etc), more expensive on 1st registration costs, no doubt a higher insurance bracket and ... when driving around in non-boy racer mode, will I kick myself for not having the Burmester?
Really torn.
🥺
Macan S arrived May’22.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Worth getting a few insurance quotes if you're tight for cash, at present interest rates borrowing £3.6k will add very little to your annual costs.

Personally i'd see what options you can get away with and try a basic GTS with Burm.

If your roads are a bit rough opt for basic small rims, i wouldn't miss the pano roof, i'm sure the basic lights are fine.

It's always tricky when you sit down with the sales guy and he tells you how great all the options are!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab