75 Ltr Tank

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Tracky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:00 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:30 pm
mb8388 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:13 pm I like the 75-litre tank: it gives a 460+ mile range (on a long drive) with my 2020 Turbo, but filling it up from near-empty with premium unleaded is expensive!
the cost is the same, its more a cashflow issue :)

At the moment I guess its a little over £100 for a 75 litre tank full.

My mini would take about 2 months to drink that much. Oh well, back to spending stupid money on cars.
More if you proper fuel 😉
Right, whole different conversation there. I know this is VERY off topic but I have often wondered what the benefits of “proper” fuel are ( the benefits to the petrochemical companies are obvious ). I always used “the good stuff” in my Aston but what difference does it really make?

I would assume most modern cars would adapt engine settings based on the fuel being used. So if you use higher octane does you cars brain adjust how it runs so that it always runs the same, irrespective of the octane rating of the fuel? i.e. does it maintain a mean average irrespective of what fuel you use ( unless you accidentally put Diesel in). American petrol is garbage, but I doubt Porsche changes the engine mapping to account for that. I do, however, expect the EMU automatically accommodates for it.

Often wondered this, so any technical chaps or chapesses out there I’d be interested to hear from you.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ from the Porsche Good To Know App....

Screenshot_20210727-183900_Porsche Good to know.jpg

From my GTS fuel flap...

20210727_183600.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Is that the new 2.9 S

I’m sure ours says 98 min but could be wrong but I’ve always run them on v power - luckily I have one in my village

On a rolling road when the lotus was tuned, the fuel made a big difference
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tracky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:24 pm Is that the new 2.9 S

I’m sure ours says 98 min but could be wrong but I’ve always run them on v power - luckily I have one in my village

On a rolling road when the lotus was tuned, the fuel made a big difference
Yes I have the 376bhp 2.9 GTS. I have run it since new on Shell V-power too. We have two Shell stations within 4 miles fortunately.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I always try to use proper fuel :D :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Tracky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:00 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:30 pm

the cost is the same, its more a cashflow issue :)

At the moment I guess its a little over £100 for a 75 litre tank full.

My mini would take about 2 months to drink that much. Oh well, back to spending stupid money on cars.
More if you proper fuel 😉
Right, whole different conversation there. I know this is VERY off topic but I have often wondered what the benefits of “proper” fuel are ( the benefits to the petrochemical companies are obvious ). I always used “the good stuff” in my Aston but what difference does it really make?

I would assume most modern cars would adapt engine settings based on the fuel being used. So if you use higher octane does you cars brain adjust how it runs so that it always runs the same, irrespective of the octane rating of the fuel? i.e. does it maintain a mean average irrespective of what fuel you use ( unless you accidentally put Diesel in). American petrol is garbage, but I doubt Porsche changes the engine mapping to account for that. I do, however, expect the EMU automatically accommodates for it.

Often wondered this, so any technical chaps or chapesses out there I’d be interested to hear from you.
There's been extensive debate here on this over the years with the usual nonsense spouted by fans of internet myth etc. And as you allude, many claim it's just profiteering and/or marketing hype. But the fact remains that the premium fuels are higher octane and modern high performance engines are capable of making use of this while also adapting to lower octane fuel when necessary. Primarily this is done by advancing or retarding the ignition to the point where preignition or 'pinking' is prevented. My 911 clearly demonstrated this in the Alps once when I was forced to use 95 octane. On steep, fast full throttle climbs the power noticeably dropped and sounded a bit like it was hitting the rev limiter, which it wasn't. The next fill of 98, and 100 when I could get it, restored normal service.
Premium fuels also contain more additives for smoother running, better starting and fuel system maintenance, among other things. Additives are expensive and this is where the supermarkets trim the costs. The fuel still meets British Standards, but isn't the same as the premium stuff. But you'll still get people asserting that "it all comes from the same place" and other falsehoods from someone they met in the pub.
I used to use Shell V Power but now use Esso Supreme as, in most parts of the country, it doesn't contain ethanol.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
RAA

Post by RAA »

I read somewhere that all petrol sold will have its ethanol content increased to 10% (not the 5% currently in most petrol). Does anyone know if this will include Esso petrol, which I understand from comments on previous posts on this forum, that Esso is the only car fuel that is 100% petrol (with no ethanol) ?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

RAA wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 am I read somewhere that all petrol sold will have its ethanol content increased to 10% (not the 5% currently in most petrol). Does anyone know if this will include Esso petrol, which I understand from comments on previous posts on this forum, that Esso is the only car fuel that is 100% petrol (with no ethanol) ?
Nothing yet on this from the Esso website - https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

But they say this could change in the future and they they will comply with legislation……..
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

It’s only meant to be normal fuel to change anyway
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I have used BP Ultimate for many years in my BMW's, getting better performance and mileage than the regular fuel. A couple of weeks ago, due to driver shortages, BP had no Ultimate on tap so I ventured up the road to Esso and put half a tank in of their premium stuff. Although the difference in RON was 98 vs 99 respectively, I got even more mileage from the Esso fuel. And some might not believe me, but the car definitely felt 'sharper' on the throttle too. I tested my theory out on my wife's car - she hates filling up with fuel, so took her car to Esso for half a tank. A few days later, she asked me whether I had done anything to the car as it felt faster. To compound matters, last week neither BP or Esso had any premium fuel so I was forced to put in some 95 :shock: . A lot more throttle needed to get the engine to pick up, undoubtedly, so for me, Premium fuel all the way. BTW, I tend to run the tank down each time to around 20 miles remaining, so there's very little mixture of one fuel to the next.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018