Insurance with non-UK/EU licence

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
roiber

Post by roiber »

Hello everyone.

I have placed an order for a new Macan S and am counting down the days (or rather: the weeks) to delivery - I can’t wait! This forum has been super helpful in figuring out which specs are worth going for, so thanks for that!

So while I’m still riding high on my excitement, I turned to the dull part of car ownership: insurance... I have been driving accident-free for 20 years with my Swiss (i.e. non-EU) licence and last year, I got a UK licence as well (I missed the deadline to exchange my Swiss licence, so I had to take the driving exams again - I was almost twice my driving instructor’s age! :oops: ).

The issue I have now is that all insurers and brokers I have spoken to so far have just been going through their standard insurance forms where they let me indicate only one of my two licences, but not both. If I give my UK licence, they say I lack driving experience and with my Swiss licence, they penalise me for being a non-UK/EU driver. Either way, the results are horrendously high quotes (>£2k). Some even refuse to insure me altogether given the combination of the above and the value of the car... :roll:

So I thought I’d turn to the almighty Macan forums! So are there any non-UK/EU drivers out there who have experienced a similar situation? Or does anyone have a recommendation for brokers/insurers who offer a more bespoke approach?

Cheers!

Guy

Post by Guy »

Maybe try here: https://www.clements.com/insurance-solu ... overage-uk

Don;t be put off my the fact that it's based in the US. I used them when living and working in Romania, driving my Macan on a UK licence. It wasn't cheap, but far cheaper than any of the local Romanian companies. Mind you, most of the Romanian companies were not at all happy about my steering wheel being on the wrong side!
roiber

Post by roiber »

Brilliant, thank you! I’ll give it a go