Extended Warranty and Service History

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Evening all!

I’m on the look out for a new car for my dad and have found a GTS for him, which had its second service outside the OPC network (at an independent called ePorsch in Woking). This service was carried out in September 2020.

Am I right in thinking that the warranty cannot be extended unless the car has had a full OPC history ? I assume that it is possible to have an extra service carried out now via an OPC and then add the warranty (after the mandatory 111-point check) ?

I guess there is always the possibility of running the car without warranty, but think it would be good for my dad’s peace of mind.

Am also thinking about upgrading my wife’s 2016 macan turbo for a PP or facelift, will get a classified ad put up.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Is the car outside the manufacturers warranty (ie more than 3 years old)?

I believe you are correct - it has to be serviced by Porsche for the extended warranty

You can pay for the 111 point check - and that is worth doing especially if the car is still in manufacturers warranty. It is very thorough.

I believe the Porsche extended warranty is very comprehensive and reasonably competitive price wise. That is before you take into account the rip-off service pricing (likely you've experienced this)

So one thought is:

Get the 111 point check done
Ask about Porsche extended warranty - if the car was serviced as recently as Sept it might still be an option
Look at other warranties

I may use a third party warranty when my extended warranty runs out in a year. Almost £1500 for a 4 year service was outrageous. By comparison a major service on an Audi SQ5 is £395
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks!

OPC Byfleet quoted £1700 for the major service as it needs spark plugs, PDK oil and brake fluid.

OPC Guildford was less unreasonable at £1500. Both seem pricey for a major service ?

The inspection does need to be carried out, and then it will be eligible for warranty.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Byfleet (I presume you mean Brooklands) labour rate is cheaper than Guildford so it can't be like for like - suggest you compare the details.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Yup, I compared the list of items in the service and it was equivalent. Will recheck on Saturday when the Centres open. Thanks!
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

If it does turn out to be cheaper at Guildford I’m sure Brooklands would match / beat it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Yup. They have usually been quite good about that.

Although I had our turbo booked in for brakes, had a quote which we negotiated down, and then was asked to pay the higher amount at time of payment.

Maybe just a genuine error, but glad I was not distracted at time of payment!

Just trying to figure out whether it is worth spending £1500 in order to be ‘eligible’ for warranty.