Cancelled GTS

All your ordering information here!
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

I can't contemplate the EV with the amount of miles and geographical location of places I'll visit........ the charging infrastructure isn't there. It's ok for local driving between tows etc. I'm also predicting the charging points/infrastructure will not be in place by mid 2023.
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8

SP6IGHT

Post by SP6IGHT »

MTUK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm I can't contemplate the EV with the amount of miles and geographical location of places I'll visit........ the charging infrastructure isn't there. It's ok for local driving between tows etc. I'm also predicting the charging points/infrastructure will not be in place by mid 2023.
I know what you mean. An EV wil be perfect for me 99% of the time. very rarely do long distance drives. Can charge easily at home in the garage. So it is a viable option.
drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

MTUK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm I can't contemplate the EV with the amount of miles and geographical location of places I'll visit........ the charging infrastructure isn't there. It's ok for local driving between tows etc. I'm also predicting the charging points/infrastructure will not be in place by mid 2023.

I totally understand the range anxiety coupled with the length of time to charge up the car that puts many people off the idea. However, in reality 99% (or more) of my journeys will be fewer than 200 miles. We drove up to Skye a couple of months ago and had a great journey in the Macan - as it happened the Three Chimneys Hotel (stunning food and accommodation by the way!) had an electric charging point so we could easily have made the journey in an EV.

I’m lucky that I could charge the car in my garage and the local council even offers free charging stations at some nearby parks. I know this will be a fundamental barrier to many people changing to EVs. You are correct that the infrastructure is not there yet and will not be sorted by 2023 but with the significant rise in new electric cars being purchased it will drive further investment in the charging stations. This together with newer battery / charging technology will tip the balance over the next 5-10 years.

Given the importance of the Macan as a revenue generator for Porsche, I am pretty sure this new model will be a complete game changer. Brand new chassis design (low CofG with battery packs) with technology and experience from Taycan - I’m hoping for something really special… fingers crossed they also squeeze in matrix lights and HUD!

My current commute is approximately 15 miles each way - in the current climate my Turbo is pretty much at operating temp by the time I’m pulling into my driveway. I reckon I’ll easily save £250+ per month in fuel costs which could either buy a nICE (see what I did there ;) ) toy for the weekends / longer journeys or hire something interesting for the occasional tour of Britain… I like driving new / different cars so that might keep the itch scratched and cost me less in the long run… I think I’m at car number 27 in 28 years of driving! :shock: :lol:
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I would love to buy and EV and as others have said for 95% of journeys an EV would be brilliant. Show-stopper for me is that I tow a caravan (pauses for the sniggering to stop........) The reduced range and difficulty accessing changing bays with a caravan juts makes it impractical at the moment. I have considered bying an EV as a second car but annual mileage is pretty low so doesn't make financial sense. So either need to sell the caravan or wait to see how the technology develops.
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

bobajob wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:38 pm I would love to buy and EV and as others have said for 95% of journeys an EV would be brilliant. Show-stopper for me is that I tow a caravan (pauses for the sniggering to stop........) The reduced range and difficulty accessing changing bays with a caravan juts makes it impractical at the moment. I have considered bying an EV as a second car but annual mileage is pretty low so doesn't make financial sense. So either need to sell the caravan or wait to see how the technology develops.
No sniggering from me as that's pretty much exactly the same situation as ours.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
hood69

Post by hood69 »

If the GTS you were on the list for was due in this or next quarter then you made a mistake imo.
If it wasnt due till after that then maybe makes sense.
If it was due shortly you would get good money on your own car and get a car worth well above list so by the time the electric one comes round I wouldn't see it costing you much if anything.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I would agree on taking a GTS if it was coming soon but the first post said it would be 2023 until a car arrived.
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Sound logic if your driving profile suits an EV.
GTS wait times are probably forcing many to think the same. And by the sounds of it 'S' times will be doing the same very soon too.
I'll find out on Saturday, got a test drive in a Macan and S.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Test drove both. My local OPC delivery chart showed early Q3 for the S, late Q3 for the base and Q1 next year for the GTS.

This surprised me regarding the base. I wonder if it is this what the delivery stop is on for and that's why it's slipped back.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

So which one did you order :D