Macan S spec - need your help/ opinions

All your ordering information here!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Lovely spec and nice to see someone else “go big” on an S 😂
Don’t buy into the GTS being the sweet spot in handling - it will handle slightly better on a track, but on UK roads? Nothing in it particularly if air specced.

No right or wrong in how much you spec but all cars depreciate and of course slightly more (relatively) with more options. But of course the longer you keep it the less impact this has in actual pound notes. Spec to what you want, there is no “sensible” just what you are happy to pay for and what you want 😊
Presume you are not selecting options for the next owner… 😉
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

andreas

Post by andreas »

londonmtl wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:28 pm
1) pebble grey extended leather vs black with deviated stitching
£1k price difference but i actually love the pebble grey. makes the inside seem so airy and light. But…will it lose its sheen/ look more quickly? (i have no kids or pets).
I have pebble grey interior, the car's just over 4 years old, with 30,000 miles, and the interior looks virtually as new. As already mentioned, blue jeans can leave marks on the bolsters, but it cleans off easily. Ideally, get the seats treated with Gtechniq when they're new.

However, your spec is huge on options and you'll waste most of that money unless you plan on keeping the car a long time.

If you only plan to keep the car for 2 or 3 years, I'd suggest you ditch the painted sideblades, PTVP, sports chrono, sports exhaust, lane change assist, acoustic glass and Bose, and save yourself around £6K.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

One point to consider "acoustic glass and pano roof opt together !! is that pano roof does not come with acoustic glass. So if your looking for less road noise, you will have to keep blind closed on pano roof to cut out road noise, so pointless having it if it is noise insulation only required, imo, I would not spec both as they counteract each other in this respect.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
londonmtl

Post by londonmtl »

Jon A wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:48 pm Lovely spec and nice to see someone else “go big” on an S 😂
Don’t buy into the GTS being the sweet spot in handling - it will handle slightly better on a track, but on UK roads? Nothing in it particularly if air specced.

No right or wrong in how much you spec but all cars depreciate and of course slightly more (relatively) with more options. But of course the longer you keep it the less impact this has in actual pound notes. Spec to what you want, there is no “sensible” just what you are happy to pay for and what you want 😊

Thanks Jon - the spec is solely to satisfy my cravings vs a view towards a future sale..:). I know i’ll probably lose money but this will likely be my last petrol new car so i want to go out with a bang..:)
On s vs gts - i also wanted the slightly more plush ride given the 20s and as you say, unless i am really pushing the cat to the limits doubt o would really ever feel the the incremental power difference. But other i am sure will have divergent opinion!
londonmtl

Post by londonmtl »

EDZ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:58 pm One point to consider "acoustic glass and pano roof opt together !! is that pano roof does not come with acoustic glass. So if your looking for less road noise, you will have to keep blind closed on pano roof to cut out road noise, so pointless having it if it is noise insulation only required, imo, I would not spec both as they counteract each other in this respect.
That’s a great point I had not thought of. You are right! Thanks
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

londonmtl wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:00 pm
Jon A wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:48 pm Lovely spec and nice to see someone else “go big” on an S 😂

Thanks Jon - the spec is solely to satisfy my cravings vs a view towards a future sale..:). I know i’ll probably lose money but this will likely be my last petrol new car so i want to go out with a bang..:)
On s vs gts - i also wanted the slightly more plush ride given the 20s and as you say, unless i am really pushing the cat to the limits doubt o would really ever feel the the incremental power difference. But other i am sure will have divergent opinion!
Yes many will say too much to spend on an S but we are talking about the difference between around £12k of options (that everybody accepts as about ball park) or £17k which is suddenly too much - it’s £5k extra on a £70k car!!
I would have bought a GTS too as I think it is a lovely car, but I can’t spend 18months waiting for it, I would rather get on enjoying my Macan 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

EDZ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:58 pm One point to consider "acoustic glass and pano roof opt together !! is that pano roof does not come with acoustic glass. So if your looking for less road noise, you will have to keep blind closed on pano roof to cut out road noise, so pointless having it if it is noise insulation only required, imo, I would not spec both as they counteract each other in this respect.
I have specced it more for the security and heat insulation than the noise. You can't shatter the side windows to gain access and the infra red transmission in reduced by 50%. The noise reduction is a bonus.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Unless you’ve seen it and hate it I wouldn’t dismiss the standard S piano black interior on mine I really like it and will give you some contrast which the aluminium + pebble won’t. If you want something different see if you can view a sample of the dark wood(not walnut) option. As for spend there is no right amount. Many will say no more than +10% of the car cost but it’s your car and you have to live with it and it’s a long wait for another new one if you don’t get what you want :) FYI I did about +10% and the car is still awesome but I do see the value in other things too!
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:07 pm
I have specced it more for the security and heat insulation than the noise. You can't shatter the side windows to gain access and the infra red transmission in reduced by 50%. The noise reduction is a bonus.
I specced the insulated, laminated glass together with the pano roof. I'm very happy with it. The standard sound system sounds great in the very quiet environment. I take the point about the pano not being insulated - but I think that a lot of the external noise in question is tyre/road noise? Opening the pano makes far less difference to noise than opening a window. I've only had it 2 days and haven't had the blind closed yet - I'll try that tomorrow. I doubt that the pano makes much difference to noise levels though because this car is at least as quiet inside as my Range Rover Sport - which has a solid roof (and laminated glass). I'd happily spec the combination again personally :-).
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

... another comment I'd make is about the GTS/S comparison.
I think the GTS can make a lot of sense if you genuinely value the "extras" it offers?
So if you really want Sport Chrono, air suspension, sport exhaust 21" wheels etc I can see that it makes a good case for itself.
I was drawn to it at first mainly for the extra BHP and the idea that it would be the most powerful ICE Macan ever made.

My decision was finely balanced because my "S" spec came out at 65k.

Over time, I changed my mind and went for the S.
This is because the GTS isn't meaningfully quicker in real life (below 100mph) - and no quicker at all if you tend to drive at my rather "dignified" pace :-).
I also came to realise that I really didn't want the particular bits and pieces that it offers.

For me in real terms, the GTS would just be a less comfortable "S" :-)
This isn't in any way a criticism of the GTS - just an observation that it really is a case of horses for courses.
(I doubt I'll even be pressing the "Sport" button very often :-)

I'm sure you'll love whatever options you do choose in the end - they're great cars :-)