Spec help and specifics

All your ordering information here!
Hertsman

Post by Hertsman »

I am struggling with deciding on a couple of options and I wonder if members with these options could assist with the real world practicalities of them. I am not going to start the BOSE or 18 Way seat debate, these are very individual preferences which you either like/want or don't. My indecisions are:

1) ACC - I like the idea of it and normal CC does get on your nerves when you are constantly having to reset it when you change speed with the traffic. I don't do a lot of motorway driving but think i would make good use of it. However, i am a little put off with the emergency braking issue when someone cuts in for example. I understand the system is not the third generation one with an additional camera, but relies on the radar only and can mistake passing traffic etc as a reason to slow down. How big an issue is this in real life usage - do people use it or leave it switched off?

2) I am thinking of the surround camera to aid parking, protect the wheels (hopefully) but mainly because my drive is a bit awkward to reverse out, and even worse to reverse in. I presume that in the early mornings when windows are wet/frosty, the cameras will be just the same and not much will be seen? Also, how much can you see on the surround system at night (if i was to reverse into my drive after using the vehicle and the lenses being clear). Can anyone enlighten me on how good this option is?

3) I like the sound of the heated screen, they were always fantastic on the Fords of the late 80's. I understand on the Macan it is a different system which does not clear the screen as quick but is still a lot quicker than the normal demisters. Question - the side windows will still need manual clearing so is this really worth it? I suppose its only £300 and worth a punt, but can anyone add any other pros or cons?

4) PDLS+ I have the auto dimming main beam on both my current Audi Q5 and BMW and I love it. They work perfectly on both cars and I am keen to get it again. I have heard that sometimes they can be a bit hit and miss on the Macan which is really disappointing. I am not interested in any of the other features of the PDLS+ only the auto dimming. How do members find them - are they worth a go at an extra £350 ish?

Thanks in anticipation.

andreas

Post by andreas »

I have Surround View, and find it very useful - day and night (side view obviously depends on ambient light at night). It's a good way of preserving the alloy wheels!

I don't have a heated screen, but you're right that the side windows need de-icing too. I find that leaving the car ticking over for a few minutes with heated seats and heated backlight on, plus recirc air, will clear everything fairly quickly.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I have the PDLS+ option, and I find the auto dimming main beam function works very well, and would spec it if ever I order a new Macan.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Surround view in my opinion is essential, PDLS + I also think is very good.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Having had to deal with the last few frosty mornings I’ve just added the heated wind screen especially as it’s not the system with visible wires. I’ve removed PDLS+ because I’ve heard it is sluggish and it’s the cornering component I really wanted which standard PDLS delivers. Surround view was always in my spec and always will be. :)

P.S. I ruled out ACC because it comes with way too many safety features that might actually cause a crash ;)
Macan S MY 2023
penport

Post by penport »

I find ACC very good and use it on most motorway journeys - as long as you're aware of it's shortcomings and are ready to over-ride / switch off it's well worth it.

PDLS+ I go through periods of trying to like it but always end up turning it off - although the sideways lighting at junctions and around bends works well.

Talking about heated things - heated steering wheel is nice to have too
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

These options depend on many ways where you live and the sort of driving you do. Living in London and with narrow roads and tight parking, Surround view gives me that extra bit of assistance and reassurance and I wouldn’t be without it.

I’ve only had to use the heated front windscreen once and it fully cleared a heavily frosted windscreen in 2 minutes. Was really impressed. But, of course the side windows take longer if you’re relying on the fan so you don’t necessarily get a quicker getaway unless you clear those windows yourself. . Still think it’s well worth having though, although on my car it’s operated from the same button that controls the heated rear window which seems odd.

Re ACC, it seems to me like some people are far more happy and confident with it than others. Some rely on it to stop the car in traffic but I’m too nervous for that. I also get periodic warnings that the systems don’t work because of a build up of dirt on the radar. I can’t see me using it much except perhaps on quiet motorways or ones where there’s 20 miles of roadworks and a 50mph limit. I feel far happier being on control.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Hertsman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm I am struggling with deciding on a couple of options and I wonder if members with these options could assist with the real world practicalities of them. I am not going to start the BOSE or 18 Way seat debate, these are very individual preferences which you either like/want or don't. My indecisions are:

1) ACC - I like the idea of it and normal CC does get on your nerves when you are constantly having to reset it when you change speed with the traffic. I don't do a lot of motorway driving but think i would make good use of it. However, i am a little put off with the emergency braking issue when someone cuts in for example. I understand the system is not the third generation one with an additional camera, but relies on the radar only and can mistake passing traffic etc as a reason to slow down. How big an issue is this in real life usage - do people use it or leave it switched off?

2) I am thinking of the surround camera to aid parking, protect the wheels (hopefully) but mainly because my drive is a bit awkward to reverse out, and even worse to reverse in. I presume that in the early mornings when windows are wet/frosty, the cameras will be just the same and not much will be seen? Also, how much can you see on the surround system at night (if i was to reverse into my drive after using the vehicle and the lenses being clear). Can anyone enlighten me on how good this option is?

3) I like the sound of the heated screen, they were always fantastic on the Fords of the late 80's. I understand on the Macan it is a different system which does not clear the screen as quick but is still a lot quicker than the normal demisters. Question - the side windows will still need manual clearing so is this really worth it? I suppose its only £300 and worth a punt, but can anyone add any other pros or cons?

4) PDLS+ I have the auto dimming main beam on both my current Audi Q5 and BMW and I love it. They work perfectly on both cars and I am keen to get it again. I have heard that sometimes they can be a bit hit and miss on the Macan which is really disappointing. I am not interested in any of the other features of the PDLS+ only the auto dimming. How do members find them - are they worth a go at an extra £350 ish?

Thanks in anticipation.
1) I’m a fan of ACC and can live with the few minor quirks. I find it works well and use it very often. No issues with passing traffic. And importantly, without it, you don’t get any of the emergency braking functions (PAS).

2) SurroundView is another essential for me, very useful to precision park the car against kerbs, or within marked spaces.

3) I’ve never had a heated screen and never missed it - mind you, I am retired and rarely have any early morning starts!

4) I’ve not tried PDLS+. The standard lights seem pretty good however.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

ACC. No
Surround View. Yes
Heated Screen. Yes
PDSL. Yes
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

ACC - huge yes for emergency braking alone
Surround - yes
Heated screen - never had it never felt I should
PDSL - Ambivalent, I wouldn’t use it enough to make a difference.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0