How far ahead do OPCs get given allocations?

All your ordering information here!
estymasko

Post by estymasko »

Hi folks.

Just curious as to how the releasing of build allocations works. Monthly? A single build slot fished out here and there at random? If quarterly, how soon before the beginning of the quarter do we reckon the slots are released?

Been told I am next in line for an allocation so just trying to gauge when I should finally have a build date to my name.

Turns out my S5 order that I cancelled in October was not, in fact, cancelled… and is arriving at Audi this week. So now my dilemma is to pick up the S5 this week, or continue to wait indefinitely for the Macan. The decision would be much easier if I had even a hint of an inclination as to when my build slot will be :roll:
2024 Porsche Taycan 4S sport turismo
2022 Porsche Macan S
2022 Audi S5 Sportback
2019 Porsche 718 Cayman
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2016 Audi TT

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

estymasko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm Hi folks.

Just curious as to how the releasing of build allocations works. Monthly? A single build slot fished out here and there at random? If quarterly, how soon before the beginning of the quarter do we reckon the slots are released?

Been told I am next in line for an allocation so just trying to gauge when I should finally have a build date to my name.

Turns out my S5 order that I cancelled in October was not, in fact, cancelled… and is arriving at Audi this week. So now my dilemma is to pick up the S5 this week, or continue to wait indefinitely for the Macan. The decision would be much easier if I had even a hint of an inclination as to when my build slot will be :roll:
Do you want an SUV or a coupe hatchback? Diesel or petrol? Two very different cars I think…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

Every couple of months, the next allocations come out in March. If you get an allocation in March it could still be up to 12 weeks before you actually have it. So my guess is your earliest will be late May / June. There is a very rare occasion an OPC gets a random one off allocation. Good luck.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Having cleared all back-orders (ahead of mine) with their Jan and Feb. allocations, my OPC has advised me that I am 100% guaranteed a slot from their March allocation … and this is expected to result in a car delivered in April or May. Hope that’s not SE BS, i.e. too optimistic.
Last edited by Zadkiel on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6
estymasko

Post by estymasko »

Zadkiel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:10 pm Having cleared all back-orders with their Jan and Feb. allocations, my OPC has advised me that I am 100% guaranteed a slot from their March allocation … and this is expected to result in a car delivered in April or May. Hope that’s not SE BS, i.e. too optimistic.
This sounds positive. Do you know when your OPC will receive their March allocations? I’m hoping I’m in a similar boat!
2024 Porsche Taycan 4S sport turismo
2022 Porsche Macan S
2022 Audi S5 Sportback
2019 Porsche 718 Cayman
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2016 Audi TT
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

estymasko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 pm
Zadkiel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:10 pm Having cleared all back-orders with their Jan and Feb. allocations, my OPC has advised me that I am 100% guaranteed a slot from their March allocation … and this is expected to result in a car delivered in April or May. Hope that’s not SE BS, i.e. too optimistic.
This sounds positive. Do you know when your OPC will receive their March allocations? I’m hoping I’m in a similar boat!
It may be a little optimistic but wish you luck !! as you get about 2 to 4 weeks to lock your spec in when given an allocation, it is then around six weeks to build from lock in, then approx a week to build and get to docks for shipping. shipping and getting to dealers is again minimum of a week, PDI at dealers etc around another week. So if you are lucky enough to get an allocation say first week of March it's still approx a minimum of ten weeks at best, So as I quoted above end of May / June. January's allocations were for builds in March and April, spec lock downs in Feb / March. March allocations will probably be for builds in May and June.

PS: I'm in the same boat and this is precisely how it was explained to me by my SE as I did,t want to be told BS, lead up the garden path or given any false hope.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

EDZ wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm
estymasko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 pm
It may be a little optimistic but wish you luck !! as you get about 2 to 4 weeks to lock your spec in when given an allocation, it is then around six weeks to build from lock in, then approx a week to build and get to docks for shipping. shipping and getting to dealers is again minimum of a week, PDI at dealers etc around another week. So if you are lucky enough to get an allocation say first week of March it's still approx a minimum of ten weeks at best, So as I quoted above end of May / June. January's allocations were for builds in March and April, spec lock downs in Feb / March. March allocations will probably be for builds in May and June.

PS: I'm in the same boat and this is precisely how it was explained to me by my SE as I did,t want to be told BS, lead up the garden path or given any false hope.
That fits in with my experience. Ordered Sept told lockdown would be Dec, build Jan, delivery feb/Mar. Now lockdown Jan done, build march delivery Apr.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

FWIW a current gen S5 isn't in any sort of league similar to a Macan S. I'd put good money on the Macan S out performing and outdriving an S5 in almost every way.

I'll never forgive Audi for going to diesel engines on the V6/longitudinal S models.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
TimB

Post by TimB »

I've just sold my 2018 S5, albeit a petrol version, but that one did outperform the Macan s by some margin.

Much more responsive and fun to drive.
Macan S on order (17/11/21, no build slot - estimated May 2022)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTQDE40
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

TimB wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm I've just sold my 2018 S5, albeit a petrol version, but that one did outperform the Macan s by some margin.

Much more responsive and fun to drive.
Mine didn’t! Less power and terrible steering feel. Good car overall but different postcode from a Porsche…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0