Privacy glass or sunblind?

All your ordering information here!
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

So finally have confirmed build slot for our Macan S. Need to lock in spec however have a query on privacy glass.

We’ve added privacy glass mainly as we will have young children (aged <3) in the back and want to stop them getting blinded by the sun in their rearward seats. Is this effective or are we better speccing the roll up blind instead? Or perhaps both?

We’re not too fussed on the dark window aesthetic aspect so much. Just looking for practicality. Anyone able to shed some light (no pun intended!) based on their experiences?

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

With young kids I would spec both. The sun is still very strong and having the blinds will help them drop off.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The used car market will always want the privacy glass so definitely include that.
Macan S MY 2023
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

I've got a 4 and 5 year old and I've specced both. Works well. At times I've had to use the blinds as well and that wasn't even in the summer.
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

Great thanks for feedback all. Sounds like both will be on the order in that case!
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Have you considered the "insulated, laminated glass"?
It isn't as dramatic as the "privacy glass" but does offer 100% UV protection and (I think) a 10% reduction in light transmission?
I'm not keen on the full privacy glass look and don't trust the blinds not to rattle or become crumbs traps :-).
- so I specced the insulated compromise :-)

""..The Macan can also be equipped with enhanced thermally and noise insulated laminated glass – a new acoustic film in the laminated glass design provides improvements in three key areas: almost 100 per cent of harmful UV rays are completely blocked, external noise is reduced even more effectively, and better protection is provided against a break-in.

The thermally and noise insulated glass is optionally available in combination with privacy glass. With this option, which is also available separately, all windows behind the B-pillar are heavily tinted. This tinting reduces visible light to below 20 per cent for the rear side windows (below 30 per cent in combination with the thermally and noise insulated glass) and below 30 per cent for the rear window. To further increase privacy, the darker-tinted glass can be supplemented with sun blinds for the rear side windows.""
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Privacy glass.

My Grandkids were fine in the back of my Macan’s on Summer visits out.

Blinds for us would be a no go as they would be fiddling with them all the time, they fiddled enough with the rear heating zone controls so badly I had to shut down the control.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Don't know about Porsche but X5 blinds kept jamming.
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:36 pm Privacy glass.

Blinds for us would be a no go as they would be fiddling with them all the time, they fiddled enough with the rear heating zone controls so badly I had to shut down the control.
Hadn't considered the fiddling element! Still too young to really take notice now but I imagine that will drive us mad as they get older. Definitely food for thought….
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Joe390 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:57 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:36 pm Privacy glass.

Hadn't considered the fiddling element! Still too young to really take notice now but I imagine that will drive us mad as they get older. Definitely food for thought….
Porsche has thought about this issue already. If you put the child lock on (the one on the side of the rear doors) it then disables the rear ventilation controls and heated seats switch if you've optioned that. I took it to my OPC after taking delivery thinking that the rear unit console wasn't working until they told me about this.