Automatic Handbrake? Or not…

All your ordering information here!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

softsand wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:21 am “Before you switch off the engine jab the brakes so Hold shows on the MFD, handbrake is now engaged.

You can turn off engine and exit the vehicle.”

As someone who is a prospective buyer and used to auto hold, this doesn’t sound too bad to get used to. After all, your foot is already on the brake to put the car in park.
When you come to rest / stop, then you need to take your foot off the foot brake and quickly give the pedal a separate jab to engage Hold.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Personally prefer to not have automatic handbrake function when switching off. If parked up for a few days or longer the pads just adhere to the disc.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I thought the handbrake was virtually redundant now.

On my other automatic the handbrake is a common fail as it seizes up from lack of use.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Isn't it amazing how much a bunch of nerds we are when we can spend time debating how to avoid spending two seconds flicking a small lever when we park the car :lol:
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Judging by the number of cars I see stopped (e.g. at traffic lights) with their brake lights on, the vast majority of drivers don't know how to use their handbrake. As soon as we stop, we should engage our handbrake and take our foot off the brake pedal. This is for two reasons:

1. The car is properly secured. If anyone bumps into you, the car will not roll. In comparison, if your foot's on the brake pedal, it will slip off and the car will roll.
2. The highway code states you should do this to avoid blinding the person behind you, especially at night.

The problem - I imagine - is that most people are lazy drivers.

Every time I come to a stop I put the handbrake on. It's a flick of a switch. The Macan has the added benefit that it will automatically release when you press the accelarator to drive off.

As others have described above, the Macan has a hill hold function. This is not the same as properly engaging the handbrake.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
andreas

Post by andreas »

PaulR wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:37 pm Judging by the number of cars I see stopped (e.g. at traffic lights) with their brake lights on, the vast majority of drivers don't know how to use their handbrake. As soon as we stop, we should engage our handbrake and take our foot off the brake pedal. This is for two reasons:

1. The car is properly secured. If anyone bumps into you, the car will not roll. In comparison, if your foot's on the brake pedal, it will slip off and the car will roll.
2. The highway code states you should do this to avoid blinding the person behind you, especially at night.

The problem - I imagine - is that most people are lazy drivers.

Every time I come to a stop I put the handbrake on. It's a flick of a switch. The Macan has the added benefit that it will automatically release when you press the accelarator to drive off.

As others have described above, the Macan has a hill hold function. This is not the same as properly engaging the handbrake.
Surely the Hold function is even easier than applying the handbrake? It still turns the brake lights off.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

andreas wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm Surely the Hold function is even easier than applying the handbrake? It still turns the brake lights off.
On my Macan, when the Hold function is activated, the brake lights stay on.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Hill hold is just the same as keeping your foot on the brake. Brake lights remain on; handbrake is not engaged. The point of it is to stop your car rolling backwards when moving your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. It's not really supposed to be used for anything more than a second or two.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
andreas

Post by andreas »

AllanG wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 pm
andreas wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm Surely the Hold function is even easier than applying the handbrake? It still turns the brake lights off.
On my Macan, when the Hold function is activated, the brake lights stay on.
I must get out and look at the lights!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Ours stay ok too and therefore defeat the object as far as I’m concerned .
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S