Bose vs. Burmester? Classical without high volume

All your ordering information here!
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:01 am A lot of pretty negative comments so far.

One thing missing is what type of music file have you guys been using?

A standard downloaded MP3 will sound lacking and it did when I tested it out with another forum member one of our Macan meets.

I played the same music file but each were recorded at different data rates, 180 bps is what Windows rips a CD at and these are listenable but lacking in clarity and dull brass, 340 bps was vastly superior but still lacking in clarity.

Playing a WAV or AIFF was a vastly different much more pleasurable experience.

For reference I had bought a few AIFF digital albums and used the tracks as the source of converting them using Adobe Audition to the MP3 files that I used in the test.

The files were played back on the Bose system in my Macan.

So before you shell out on an expensive system play some high data rate or uncompressed music files on the system in a few cars at the OPC.

Do adjust the tone and ambience settings to suit.

I gave up being a full on audiophile years ago after deciding that listening to music was far more important than listening out for the deficiencies in the equipment and/or recording.

So if you are interested in top quality then Burmeister it is but do also remember to tick the Option box to include the upgrade to the glazing for on the move you have the road, wind and mechanical noise to content with.
Valid points
I had BOSE on previous 911s and Caymans and thought whats the point as the tyre noise is so great.
Macan is different though as the road noise is much less and I think that is a lot to do with why I think the standard Macan system is very good.

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:01 am A lot of pretty negative comments so far.

A standard downloaded MP3 will sound lacking and it did when I tested it out with another forum member one of our Macan meets.

I played the same music file but each were recorded at different data rates, 180 bps is what Windows rips a CD at and these are listenable but lacking in clarity and dull brass, 340 bps was vastly superior but still lacking in clarity.

For reference I had bought a few AIFF digital albums and used the tracks as the source of converting them using Adobe Audition to the MP3 files that I used in the test.

So before you shell out on an expensive system play some high data rate or uncompressed music files on the system in a few cars at the OPC.

I gave up being a full on audiophile years ago after deciding that listening to music was far more important than listening out for the deficiencies in the equipment and/or recording.

So if you are interested in top quality then Burmeister it is but do also remember to tick the Option box to include the upgrade to the glazing for on the move you have the road, wind and mechanical noise to content with.
Very valid point around quality.

Everything I’ve played is streamed, so no dubious quality downloaded mp3s. Yes it it’s significantly better than DAB, but the Bose system is still underwhelming for the money imho.
zuhair92

Post by zuhair92 »

This is very true something that gets overlooked. No two audio formats are alike. I have Apple Music subscription so I listen to music via Apple CarPlay and I find the Bose system quite good - Apple now use Dolby Atmos so the music is more crisp. But when I switch to radio sometimes (for example Capital UK), the difference in quality is very noticeable, especially the base and treble, where radio sound quality is nowhere near as good.
First time Porsche customer, following dads foot steps after he got his 2021 992 GT3

Current: 2022 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNPANU67

On order: 992 911 GTS: http://www.porschecode.com/PP1M4DU1