Bose vs. Burmester? Classical without high volume

All your ordering information here!
jrz1026

Post by jrz1026 »

I just placed an order for a 2022 GTS, and I'm conflicted between Bose - the option I initially selected - and Burmester. The price difference is significant, but I love my music. Specially, I listen to a lot of classical. And slightly less frequently, rock/metal. However, I almost never crank the volume. A lot of threads and other material seem to suggest the Burmester really shines at higher volumes. Whereas at lower, normal listening volumes, Bose isn't horribly different.

Is this actually the case, or does Burmester really shine regardless of the volume? Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance the listen to the Burmester in person, so I need to rely on your collective wisdom ;)

Thanks for your input!

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

This has to be about THE most subjective question anybody can ask.......... Pass. Radio 4 is just fine on the standard system.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I have Bose on mine. And people have mentioned how good it sounds. With all the other noises coming at you, from in and outside the car, there will be a lot to mask the pure quality, you may get sitting in the quiet lounge with the cans on your ears.
Even with the Bose, which has plenty of bass/treble to adjust, I find it more than ok without it being maxed out.
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

jrz1026 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:23 pm I just placed an order for a 2022 GTS, and I'm conflicted between Bose - the option I initially selected - and Burmester. The price difference is significant, but I love my music.
Hi, I am a great music lover. “Audiophile” I guess,
having invested a lot of time and money assembling decent systems at home and going to live concerts whenever possible.

Absolutely, a decent hi-fi should be able to reproduce all the range and nuances of a piece of music at both low and high sound levels and I think the Burmester in car (although nowhere near as good as the home kit) will do so.

I have eclectic music tastes, including being deeply appreciative of opera and classical music, courtesy of having learnt to play the piano as a youngster.
Anyway, Bose (to my ears) is not worth the money and although it is not cheap, have specc’d the Burmester for my S which I hope will be delivered in Q2 2022. I intend to only play Hi-Res or ‘lossless’ audio files in the Macan.

If you are unable to find a macan with Burmester to demo and if my car arrives before your spec lock date, and you are anywhere in travelling distance of Reading OPC, once I have the car, you are welcome to meet me there and bring some music to demo.
Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Zadkiel wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:23 am
jrz1026 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:23 pm I just placed an order for a 2022 GTS, and I'm conflicted between Bose - the option I initially selected - and Burmester. The price difference is significant, but I love my music.
Hi, I am a great music lover. “Audiophile” I guess,
having invested a lot of time and money assembling decent systems at home and going to live concerts whenever possible.

Absolutely, a decent hi-fi should be able to reproduce all the range and nuances of a piece of music at both low and high sound levels and I think the Burmester in car (although nowhere near as good as the home kit) will do so.

I have eclectic music tastes, including being deeply appreciative of opera and classical music, courtesy of having learnt to play the piano as a youngster.
Anyway, Bose (to my ears) is not worth the money and although it is not cheap, have specc’d the Burmester for my S which I hope will be delivered in Q2 2022. I intend to only play Hi-Res or ‘lossless’ audio files in the Macan.

If you are unable to find a macan with Burmester to demo and if my car arrives before your spec lock date, and you are anywhere in travelling distance of Reading OPC, once I have the car, you are welcome to meet me there and bring some music to demo.
I’ve taken delivery of my gen3 S with Bose and I’m pretty underwhelmed and would agree with the above that I don’t think it’s worth the money. If I spend £800 at home and the sound was as flat as the Macan Bose I’d be disappointed(I know to some people £800 is nothing but the comparison point is still valid). I haven’t tested the Burmeister to give a comparison sadly.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

In my view Bose in a Macan S was sub-standard to the Hardon-Kermann I had in my BMW 435i. Now I drive Boxster with a standard radio, which is rather poor sound quality.

I never had Burmaister, but if you are a connoisseur, Bose might be underwhelming, and standard radio will be a shocking experience.

How about fitting some large speakers to the rear parcel shelf a-la GTI conversion kit…
I will get me coat :D
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
pmg

Post by pmg »

I have the Bose, I have never heard the Burminster. I thought that was too much to spend on a car sound system with the other sound sources like tyre noise.

I am happy with the Bose and do play classical music on it at mid-volume. I find the Bose has detail across all frequency ranges

I have a school friend who is a full HIFI nut every Saturday goes to a local for him Lancashire Hifi club listening to various home systems. He does not rate my lounge cinema system when the subwoofer is on. When the subwoofer is not connected he rates it, i.e he has a bias against systems with enhanced base. This friend actually rates the Bose. I suspect those who do not are fond of a heavy base and I suspect the Burminster may be capable of a more enhanced base.
Last edited by pmg on Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

So it's more about YOUR ears and TASTE, nobody can advise. Just like wine, Cheers! 🍷 🍷
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

I had the Burmester system in my 992 and have the Bose in my Macan.
The Burmester system definitely has greater clarity to the sound, whether or not that is worth £3k+ is very subjective. Overall I liked the system in the 992 but wasn’t totally blown away by it. The Bose in the Macan is ok, but sounds a little flat to my ears. I’ve heard the Burmester in a Panamera and it sounded fantastic, so obviously the interior dimensions, speaker placement/size all play a huge part.
If specifying a car from scratch, I’d be tempted to add the sound insulating glass in the first instance and then, depending on budget, spec the Burmester.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A lot of pretty negative comments so far.

One thing missing is what type of music file have you guys been using?

A standard downloaded MP3 will sound lacking and it did when I tested it out with another forum member one of our Macan meets.

I played the same music file but each were recorded at different data rates, 180 bps is what Windows rips a CD at and these are listenable but lacking in clarity and dull brass, 340 bps was vastly superior but still lacking in clarity.

Playing a WAV or AIFF was a vastly different much more pleasurable experience.

For reference I had bought a few AIFF digital albums and used the tracks as the source of converting them using Adobe Audition to the MP3 files that I used in the test.

The files were played back on the Bose system in my Macan.

So before you shell out on an expensive system play some high data rate or uncompressed music files on the system in a few cars at the OPC.

Do adjust the tone and ambience settings to suit.

I gave up being a full on audiophile years ago after deciding that listening to music was far more important than listening out for the deficiencies in the equipment and/or recording.

So if you are interested in top quality then Burmeister it is but do also remember to tick the Option box to include the upgrade to the glazing for on the move you have the road, wind and mechanical noise to content with.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags