Gen3 build allocations

All your ordering information here!
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Winryn wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:36 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Winryn wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:52 pm .... My gts is from Silverstone as they have double the allocation of Wolverhampton.....
I don't get this. Are you saying some OPCs are allocated more units to sell than others? Surely that can't be the case. Surely an order is an order, and they get allocated a build slot in chronological order regardless of the OPC taking the order.
Yes allocations are based on previous sales history. Silverstone sell 1050 cars a year compared to wolves who sell 520. I called almost all uk dealers when ordering a gts. Lakes for example historically said they get 1 a month (gts), Silverstone 5-6. The flagships also have a different system for allocations. For example wolves get an allocation and the sales manager allocates from their orders who gets which slot. The flagships put their orders straight into Porsche factory and Porsche take those into account when deciding on slots given to other dealerships.
Wtf! For clarity, are you saying the SM at Wolverhampton (and by inference SMs at other non 'flagship' dealers) decides which customers get their cars in which order?
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.

Winryn

Post by Winryn »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 pm

I don't get this. Are you saying some OPCs are allocated more units to sell than others? Surely that can't be the case. Surely an order is an order, and they get allocated a build slot in chronological order regardless of the OPC taking the order.
Yes allocations are based on previous sales history. Silverstone sell 1050 cars a year compared to wolves who sell 520. I called almost all uk dealers when ordering a gts. Lakes for example historically said they get 1 a month (gts), Silverstone 5-6. The flagships also have a different system for allocations. For example wolves get an allocation and the sales manager allocates from their orders who gets which slot. The flagships put their orders straight into Porsche factory and Porsche take those into account when deciding on slots given to other dealerships.
Wtf! For clarity, are you saying the SM at Wolverhampton (and by inference SMs at other non 'flagship' dealers) decides which customers get their cars in which order?
What I was told is they get an allocation of cars and they pair orders to build slots. Any build slots they don’t have orders for they spec themselves hoping for sales before arrival. I imagine there is scope for abuse. Read many threads where people have placed orders for the rare 911’s for example and they’ve been bumped down the order as more frequent spenders jump the queue

I imagine it gives them the flexibility to control delivery dates for customers. Imagine some want to come out of their pcp at a certain month of the year so they can allocate a build slot to match the part ex date
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Winryn wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:56 pm I imagine it gives them the flexibility to control delivery dates for customers. Imagine some want to come out of their pcp at a certain month of the year so they can allocate a build slot to match the part ex date
Or the flexibility to prioritise the orders that give them the best profit perhaps. After all, why risk losing a sale where they're making extra profit from finance or paint protection, etc. :evil:
Last edited by Old Chimer on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
pmg

Post by pmg »

There is a new Nick Murray video tonight the second half of which deals with the situation in the USA were dealers have had few allocations this year and large waiting list of those with paid deposits. nick reckons us dealers normally get about 2500 911's a qtr. ist qtr 2022 they have been given 900. Allocations well down on 718's as well Reasonable no's of base and S Macans but few GTS's Porsche make a smaller margin o US sales and Nick reckons builds are being allocated to more profitable markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTibY2dDN0&t

relevant bit starts about 4 m 30 secs
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
jharrower

Post by jharrower »

Hi, All
Just got a call from my OPC (Wolves) and been told I have a build date (Status 8, apparently) for 28 Jan 22. While slightly later than I had hoped, does anyone know what the Status 8 code means? Is it simply that a build date has been allocated. Am I correct in thinking the OPC gets an allocation by month or quarter and it is the OPC who then 'allocate' who gets which slot? I have been told and confirmed several times, that I was first in the queue for a build slot when the OPC received their next (presumably Q1) allocations. Perhaps I'm being too hopeful to think that my build date might have been earlier than 28 Jan 22.

Thanks.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

jharrower wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:37 pm Hi, All
Just got a call from my OPC (Wolves) and been told I have a build date (Status 8, apparently) for 28 Jan 22. While slightly later than I had hoped, does anyone know what the Status 8 code means? Is it simply that a build date has been allocated. Am I correct in thinking the OPC gets an allocation by month or quarter and it is the OPC who then 'allocate' who gets which slot? I have been told and confirmed several times, that I was first in the queue for a build slot when the OPC received their next (presumably Q1) allocations. Perhaps I'm being too hopeful to think that my build date might have been earlier than 28 Jan 22.

Thanks.
CP8, if the same as 'Status 8', is the point when the car has finished build and enters the factory compound before transition for onward shipping,

Yes, you are correct on the allocation process.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 pm I don't get this. Are you saying some OPCs are allocated more units to sell than others? Surely that can't be the case. Surely an order is an order, and they get allocated a build slot in chronological order regardless of the OPC taking the order.

At all OPCs, there is much ‘smoke and mirrors’ with who get to buy which cars. As mentioned, on the GT cars in particular (including GT3s, GT4s, Spyders, Speedsters etc) you pretty much need to be on the ‘VIP list’ to even be allowed to order a new one. Then many of these new orders are ‘flipped’ for huge profits! :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:49 pm

At all OPCs, there is much ‘smoke and mirrors’ with who get to buy which cars. As mentioned, on the GT cars in particular (including GT3s, GT4s, Spyders, Speedsters etc) you pretty much need to be on the ‘VIP list’ to even be allowed to order a new one. Then many of these new orders are ‘flipped’ for huge profits! :roll:
Sadly true

Friend of mine missed out on a GT3 despite having already spent loads with the dealer on other cars and already having GT products

So he bought a new GT4 as a daily as stop gap until the RS will be announced - he was told he should finace the GT4 even though he didn't need to - just to tick the relevant box for the selection criteria and also be prepared to Part ex the Gt4 back to them so they could flip it
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ :(
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018