Wanted - Macan S Diesel

Classifieds section for all Macan Owners.
Pertabolis

Post by Pertabolis »

Hi there !

So I think I'm ready to start considering having a think at looking at options to possibly buy a Macan :) I've been dragging my feet long enough :lol:

My goal is to find a Macan as below:
- Diesel
- Less than 70-75k miles
- Is under Porsche approved warranty or seller happy with having the car checked by OPC (so I can put in on PA), or as a compromise had the transfer box replaced.
- PASM
- Pan roof
- PDLS
- Black leather interior
- 19" wheels or above, that are not black.

I am strongly leaning towards buying at a Porsche dealership, but perhaps someone will be selling a car with these criteria at a better price point. I'm not fussed about the age of the car.

Any thoughts ?

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I think you've started in exactly the right frame of mind and in the right place, however, I reckon folk on here with diesels that meet your criteria probably aren't minded to part with them. Good luck!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Pertabolis

Post by Pertabolis »

Thanks Neil. Yeah it feels like a long shot but it's worth a try. Websites trading autos (not naming any here 8-) ) are flooded with garbage adverts and I find it hard to separate them from the genuine ones. Dealership is the safe choice, but also the more expensive one. So let's see !
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Porsche website is currently showing 17 SD’s for sale that all meet your mileage criteria so if you do not get any member here parting with their pride and joy then an OPC is a safeish bet.

There is a nice looking saphire in Glasgow, £32500 and 35k miles

The SD is not the most economical diesel out there if that is a factor, whatever the display shows as mpg take 10% off the reading as a more realistic actual.

Rather than an SD a Turbo or S are also available under £40k and a Turbo is a much more satisfying drive than an SD, but having had both I would always have a Turbo.

One thing to avoid is any Macan with halogen headlights, which are worst than useless, walk away from any no matter if it satisfies all your brief.

Good luck finding whatever suits

BTW, whatever you decide on do check when the next big service is due as that itself could be a shedload of cash as are new tyres.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Over five years and 43k miles, my SD averaged 35.4mpg. That was mainly on long runs and not bad for a nearly 2ton SUV. If your planned usage involves a lot of town work and short trips then the SD would be a wrong choice. Given that type of use, they are known for clogging up the PDF.

My GTS has averaged 28.7mpg over nearly four years and 23k miles. OK, it runs on 98 octane fuel which is more expensive than diesel (but not that much) but a 2.9 (or 3.0)L petrol Macan is not that much more expensive to run than a diesel one.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Pertabolis

Post by Pertabolis »

Thanks both these are good advices.

I'm now doing 30 min of highway twice every day for my commute (new job), lots of small city driving (I am my daughter's taxi...:)) and a couple of long trips to the south of France every year (typically 3500 miles round trip in 3 weeks). But my current motive is really this commuting in the Panamera which I think is not realistic as I average 30mpg at best (on the computer, real mpg is defo lower).
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The 30minute commute and town driving are not conducive with SD ownership.

To get a DPF Regen cycle complete the SD needs a certain constant engine speed for at least 40 minutes.

You would be better off buying something like a Mini Cooper which does 45mpg+ or an Audi Q3 which we used to have and that did almost 50mpg.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pertabolis

Post by Pertabolis »

Yeah DPF can be something to watch. Does it all have a EGR valve like the 2L TDI in the VAG group ? That can be a source of problems too.

We've also got a Cooper S which is a really good car indeed. Q3 TDI 177BHP I had in the past and that wasn't the best in terms of fuel economy, probably comparable to the macan diesel or a little better.

I am not chasing the best fuel economy possible, but I'm also considering a BMW series 3 touring which is a nice cruiser with low mpg.

Though where's the fun in these ! Owning a Porsche Panamera was something else. So how can I get a Porsche with good-ish fuel economy? And that my wife accepts to drive every now and then (she found the Panny too big but she's OK in a Q3/Q5) ? Macan SD is my best option really.

There is also the idea to buy a cheap Renault Zoe electric for my commutes and have a nicer car for the fun bit, like a 997. It wouldn't help my longer holidays but could be fun none the less.

I feel good about the Macan right now.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Porsche and good fuel economy do not make good bedfellows
Col
Macan Turbo
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

how often is this needed? To get a DPF Regen cycle complete the SD needs a certain constant engine speed for at least 40 minutes.