X2 Michelin Latitude N1 295/35/R21 swap or sale

Classifieds section for all Macan Owners.
911F

Post by 911F »

Have just paid for a 2 year warranty extension and was specifically told before that it would fail for having N1 on one axle and N0 on the other. This is despite the fact that they are 2021 Michelin Latitude sport N rated, and were the only available tyres at the time.

I just bought a set of nearly new GTS wheels and tyres for the 111 check.

The whole process seemed nonsensical

Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

That is nonsensical. The difference N number is just the generation of the tyre. N0 first, N1 second etc. The difference could be a slight variation in the tread pattern or composition, barely nothing.
If the N0 was old and showing signs of cracking I would get it, but assuming they are all in good condition and not very old the fact that you have the same N number on each axle should make absolutely no difference whatsoever as both have been approved by Porsche.
Even crazier given the Macan had different sized wheels/tyres on the front and rear axles in any case?!?!?
A dealer con me thinks.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:49 pm That is nonsensical. The difference N number is just the generation of the tyre. N0 first, N1 second etc. The difference could be a slight variation in the tread pattern or composition, barely nothing.
If the N0 was old and showing signs of cracking I would get it, but assuming they are all in good condition and not very old the fact that you have the same N number on each axle should make absolutely no difference whatsoever as both have been approved by Porsche.
Even crazier given the Macan had different sized wheels/tyres on the front and rear axles in any case?!?!?
A dealer con me thinks.
Except read earlier entries N1 in the rear 21 size that fits the Macan had a 107Y rating were approved for the Cayenne. N0 and N2 had a 103Y load rating and were approved for the Macan
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

That’s correct, the N1 is completely the wrong tyre for the Macan due to the load rating.
I suspect Cazoo put them in the car not realising
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

The higher load rating won't upset the balance. The higher rating simply means the tyre can carry a greater weight. 107 wouldnt be any problem for a macan and are recommended for the by both Michelin and Pirelli. If you put tyres on with a lower than recommended load rating that would be a problem.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:25 am The higher load rating won't upset the balance. The higher rating simply means the tyre can carry a greater weight. 107 wouldnt be any problem for a macan and are recommended for the by both Michelin and Pirelli. If you put tyres on with a lower than recommended load rating that would be a problem.
Based on experience with other car brands a higher load rating will not help ride quality
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Yes, the side wall is stiffer and can upset the balance of mixed with N0
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I just find it incredible that miniscule differences in construction can affect ride, handling and invalidate the warranty. When we all know that tyre pressure is the most important factor. If porsche could charge for it they would. Next thing will be you can only use Nitrogen otherwise you invalidate the "Warranty". If they sense it at a service they will deflate, refill and there's an extra £100 thanks. Then 5 years on will insist on new boots all round as they have lasted so well. Why has common sense and technical reality gone out of the window ? Why's it all about fleecing the consumer now?
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Porsches are designed and developed in Germany where they have a lot of deristricted autobans. Hence their preoccupation with tyres and their potential for running at 150 mph+:speeds for many kilometres at a time. Big tyre heat build up as a result.

A 35-series tyre on a 2 ton SUV has a lot of stresses on the sidewall, so the OE spec load rating is important even here in the UK.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:46 am I just find it incredible that miniscule differences in construction can affect ride, handling and invalidate the warranty. When we all know that tyre pressure is the most important factor. If porsche could charge for it they would. Next thing will be you can only use Nitrogen otherwise you invalidate the "Warranty". If they sense it at a service they will deflate, refill and there's an extra £100 thanks. Then 5 years on will insist on new boots all round as they have lasted so well. Why has common sense and technical reality gone out of the window ? Why's it all about fleecing the consumer now?
I agree that the whole N tyre approval thing is a factor a find negative about owning a Porsche. It is anti-competitive and stops progress and innovation.

There are other issues. In the UK climate ( over than those who live in the Highlands and around the Northern Pennines for whom summer and winter tyre sets are best) the best most efficient tyre for UK Use is one of the modern all seasons like Michelin Cross Climate but none have N approval