New owner with Car Connect questions - 2019 Macan S -

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
DearHello

Post by DearHello »

Hi everyone,

I picked up my new to me Macan S last Saturday and I'm loving it!

Having had the hassle of rejecting two cars (other brands) in the past 6 weeks I am hoping that this will be third time lucky....

F7E7C761-D5D8-49A1-9E1B-EB2E29B38F91_1_105_c.jpeg

It's a 2019 S with the following options:

SportDesign package with SportDesign sideskirts
Panoramic roof system
Privacy glass
Door handles painted in black (high-gloss)
Sideblades painted in exterior colour
Side window trims in black (high-gloss)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Sports tailpipes in black
75 litre fuel tank
Power steering Plus
18-Inch collapsible spare wheel
Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest
20-inch Macan Turbo wheels painted in Black (high-gloss)
Compass display on dashboard
Heated windscreen
14-way electric seats (front) with memory package
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel
Smoking package
White instrument dials
Compass instrument dial in White
Comfort lighting package
LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Automatically dimming mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View
Lane Change Assist

One thing I'm struggling to get my head around is the connected side of things and could do with some help.

I've got the My Porsche app installed on my iphone and this is working correctly i.e I can see the status of the car, the tyre pressures, fuel range and when the next services are due. This expires in May 2024 and was an existing subscription that was purchased by the previous owner of the car. When this runs out next May, I assume that I will lose this functionality unless I renew?

Under the PCM services I see the following:

IMG_7871.PNG

I was also given a 10 day trial of Porsche Car Connect (in conjunction with Vodafone) which I am under the impression would allow me to lock / unlock the car remotely and see trip information etc?

If so, how does this work? Is there a separate app for this as I can't see a way of accessing this from the My Porsche app?

All help appreciated!

2japs

Post by 2japs »

I’m crap at the tech stuff, but lovely looking car, enjoy 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

We picked up a 2019 S yesterday. Does not have Connect, so we don't see what you see remotely. BUT, we do see it all when in the car.

Having never had the pleasure of doing things remotely we couldn't see the benefit and won't be subscribing to Connect.

You may however miss this if you get used to using it to May 2024. Your choice as to whether to continue it of course.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There are two different Connect systems.

The first is the vehicle tracker system which requires a subscription with Vodafone via Porsche, there are three cost options depending upon the lack of service level you get from Vodafoney. I have a very low set of expectations from anything Vodafone related and usually they fail to meet those expectations. The fobs for my Macan reside in a desk drawer and have done so for six years, the tracking system on my car is useless.

The other Connect is for online services, map updates, live traffic, fuel etc this requires another subscription whose cost depends upon generation of the car. A Data SIM or fee if there is an embedded SIM is also required so yet again most cost involved but a preloaded SIM is easy to buy each time the data is used up.

Apple Car Play became available in late 2016 as part of a Connect+ option

Do find out what connected service option is fitted as a retrofit is expensive for what is involved if you require the top end.

Porsche and IT do not go together well
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I'm on my second new Macan and currently amid the free subscription period for connect (not tracking, no insurance benefit so what's the point?) while the car data: tyre pressures, fuel, location, trip info, etc. is of passing interest its really a gimmick and not worth paying for, however, the Navigation+ is worth it in my view and in 18 months when required I'll stump up the £159 to keep it. I like the info it has and the voice control for setting destinations, radio stations or music selections. That said, if like most iPhone users you're bound to Apple at a cellular level none of that will matter and it'll be Carplay all the way for you!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Bound to apple at a cellular level but I cannot stand car play. Will be renewing the connect too when the time comes.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
Marksy

Post by Marksy »

https://connect-store.porsche.com/gb/en ... macan_2019

I dont think the Porsche Connect services on the Macan offer remote lock / unlock. More so to do with vehicle tracking and navigation information I think.. I could be wrong.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:37 pm I'm on my second new Macan and currently amid the free subscription period for connect (not tracking, no insurance benefit so what's the point?) while the car data: tyre pressures, fuel, location, trip info, etc. is of passing interest its really a gimmick and not worth paying for, however, the Navigation+ is worth it in my view and in 18 months when required I'll stump up the £159 to keep it. I like the info it has and the voice control for setting destinations, radio stations or music selections. That said, if like most iPhone users you're bound to Apple at a cellular level none of that will matter and it'll be Carplay all the way for you!
One aspect I am unsure of with the newer Macan’s is about getting the Sat Nav Map Updates.

On my Gen 1 it happens via the Info and Nav package but for the map updates I need a Data SIM fitted which I have and use a preloaded SIM so no subscription just a one off cost of the SIM.

Not sure how it functions with Gen 2 or Gen 3 but I do see that there is a separate Data Subscription which I am presuming will be needed on top of the subscription for the Info & Nav pack.

Can somebody clarify?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Marksy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:30 pm https://connect-store.porsche.com/gb/en ... macan_2019

I dont think the Porsche Connect services on the Macan offer remote lock / unlock. More so to do with vehicle tracking and navigation information I think.. I could be wrong.
The MyPorsche App shows if the vehicle is locked or unlocked. BUT you cannot remotely close / open. The only active thing you can do from your smartphone to the car is send a navigatio route / destination to the PCM.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:16 pm ...unsure .. with the newer Macan’s about getting the Sat Nav Map Updates.

On my Gen 1 it happens via the Info and Nav package but for the map updates I need a Data SIM fitted which I have and use a preloaded SIM so no subscription just a one off cost of the SIM.

Not sure how it functions with Gen 2 or Gen 3 but I do see that there is a separate Data Subscription which I am presuming will be needed on top of the subscription for the Info & Nav pack.

Can somebody clarify?
On Gen2 & 3, Sat Nav updates download over the airwaves just with the built in SIM, no need for an external one or any add on (exorbitant) Porsche contract. Whether that is true in the abscence of the Navigation+ (£159 after the initial 24 months free) I can't swear to as I've always coughed up!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP