Macan S Diesel 2017

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
andysaunders69

Post by andysaunders69 »

Good morning to all, first time poster.

I am at the final stages of committing myself to a 2017 'Porsche Approved' Macan-S Diesel with 44K miles. Full Porsche history etc etc and comes with Porsche Approved two year warranty.
Are there any known issues or recalls which arise at around this age and mileage that I should be concerned about? Electronics, DPF, bodywork.....

Thanks in advance.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

If you are buying from an OPC then all the recalls should have been actioned, find out the VIN and enter in to the Porsche website to check.

Its a Porsche, the electronics will be dodgy, they are not the best by a long way.

Worst fault is with the Transfer Box.

DPF not going into regen as it should due mainly by driver usage is something you need to be aware of.

Excessive disc wear.

Depending upon its mileage do ensure that major services have been carried out as that could be £1500 very easily, 40,000 is if memory is right for an SD is the major service mileage so that should have been done.

Tyre condition, its a £1000+ cost to change them with other N rated tyres, do make sure approved tyres are fitted and their condition is acceptable.

Oil and water leaks are occasional issues.

Pano roof drains can be blocked and another £2-300 to clear them as it is a wheels off and strip down to get to the drainage pipework.

Do make sure the Sat Nav maps are fully up to date.

The MFD display that shows mpg lies, expect actual mpg to be about 10% less than shown.

I am presuming it has 14/18 way seats, PASM and good headlights, if not avoid buying.

It has a constant speed cruise as standard, these are old 80’s tech, if you use cruise ensure the car has ACC.

Rear quarter vision is crap and a Rev Camera pretty essential, Surround Cam is vastly superior.

Again an OPC can enter the VIN and printout the Actual As Built spec of the vehicle which may differ from what is advertised.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

There is a lot of noise about transfer boxes. Search on this forum for links - ours is fast approaching 124k but we have had no issues (bought new). On low mileage cars used for short trips, there was an issue with the diesel particulate filters (DPF) clogging up. Again search for links on here, although there hasn't been a lot of mentions of this on here recently, probably as a result of Porsche not actually selling diesels any more. The PDK gearbox needs serviced every 40k miles - make sure that has been done too.
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

happy days wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:19 pm There is a lot of noise about transfer boxes. Search on this forum for links - ours is fast approaching 124k but we have had no issues (bought new). On low mileage cars used for short trips, there was an issue with the diesel particulate filters (DPF) clogging up. Again search for links on here, although there hasn't been a lot of mentions of this on here recently, probably as a result of Porsche not actually selling diesels any more. The PDK gearbox needs serviced every 40k miles - make sure that has been done too.
124k miles is good.

Great to see a Macan getting used properly :D
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

You're about as bullet proof as you can get buying from an OPC with 2 year warranty. There have been no reports of DPF issues on this forum or Facebook groups for a long time - I think any problems were due to a software regions that has since been superseded.

As Col says look at how much life is left in the tyres and brakes although you'd like to think these would be in good order coming from an OPC.

I bought a 2017 SD from an OPC back in 2019 and it was supplied with new tyres and brake pads. Only issue I've had in 30K miles is a split amble pipe that was fixed under warranty. Apart from that one set of tyres and disks / pads and servicing. Car is fantastic and I absolutly love it. A couple of times I've thought about selling but can't find an alternative that I fancy at a sensible price.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:24 pm
happy days wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:19 pm There is a lot of noise about transfer boxes. Search on this forum for links - ours is fast approaching 124k but we have had no issues (bought new). On low mileage cars used for short trips, there was an issue with the diesel particulate filters (DPF) clogging up. Again search for links on here, although there hasn't been a lot of mentions of this on here recently, probably as a result of Porsche not actually selling diesels any more. The PDK gearbox needs serviced every 40k miles - make sure that has been done too.
124k miles is good.

+1. The highest mileage on the forum, I’d say! :)

And welcome, Andy, to our friendly forum! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

As an Approved Porsche, it must have at least 3mm tyre tread depth all around, and tyres must be N-rated.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:24 pm
124k miles is good.

Yes, and we are WFH three days a week too! We had reached 115k after about four years!
Macan S D
718 S
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I have the greatest respect for most of Col's posts but £1000+ for tyres is scare mongering! August last year I had two new fronts at Sheffield OPC for £307.20. Previously had all 4 replaced in 2020 for £485.67 (not at an OPC). Tyres for a diesel, I believe, require a lower speed rating than for my petrol S so could be cheaper!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Like all oil based products, tyres have increased in price considerably in the past 12 months.......inflation ! :lol:

The cost of transportation from overseas factory to UK fitter has also increased.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver