New Owner - Vibrations at High Speed!!!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Wenners

Post by Wenners »

Well hello!
Delighted to say I picked up a 2017 GTS today and what a beautiful car it is!
The only thing is that when I finally got it up to motorway speeds there's a vibration that you can feel through your seat, less than 70mph you can't feel it. Steering wheel not shaking, pulled off the motorway and went to a tyre place who checked the balancing of the rear tyres but the adjustment they made was very minor and one they said I wouldn't be able to feel. Any ideas would be welcomed!
Luckily it's an approved car so under warranty.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Just not right, take it straight back to your OPC and have them sort it to your satisfaction.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
aj13

Post by aj13 »

Fwiw, I had similar thoughts when we got our turbo.
Coming from fpace, the macan seems to "feel" more vibbie, if that's a word.

We did same, checked wheels, tyres, Porsche checked suspension, engine, etc and did road test with me in car and all fine.
After many days on different bits of motorway and A roads i found that the macan just filters more of what's going on with road surfaces. Not uncomfortably so, just more than what what was noticed in fpace.

Not saying this is what OP is getting, but just my viewpoint.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Could be flat spotting if it's been sitting idle for some time. Take it for a long motorway run, over an hour, and see if that makes a difference. The higher ambient temperatures at the moment will help the rubber soften and return to its original shape.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wenners

Post by Wenners »

Many thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

The car had 4 new tyres on a few days before I picked it up so not flat spots but thanks for the suggestion Nuclear Nick.

AJ13 I know exactly what you mean about being feeling more 'vibbie', but I feel that the vibration is on top of that.

I'm not sure whether the fact that it's not a common fault is reassuring or not, just keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple and easily fixable!
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Isn’t a flat spot to do with the engine performance like dirty fuel injectors etc? Or does this equally apply to tyres?
Macan S MY 2023
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Skyway wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:44 pm Isn’t a flat spot to do with the engine performance like dirty fuel injectors etc? Or does this equally apply to tyres?
The flat spots will disappear once the tyres have reached their operational temperature and regained their normal shape. Semi-permanent flat-spotting will occur if the tyres have been standing still under vehicle load for a month or longer.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

also hard braking can flat spot tyres, when the car skids and will take a few 000s miles to get over
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

also hard braking can flat spot tyres, when the car skids and will take a few 000s miles to get over
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

Wenners wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:12 pm Well hello!
Delighted to say I picked up a 2017 GTS today and what a beautiful car it is!
The only thing is that when I finally got it up to motorway speeds there's a vibration that you can feel through your seat, less than 70mph you can't feel it. Steering wheel not shaking, pulled off the motorway and went to a tyre place who checked the balancing of the rear tyres but the adjustment they made was very minor and one they said I wouldn't be able to feel. Any ideas would be welcomed!
Luckily it's an approved car so under warranty.
Does the vibration disappear when you enter coasting mode?