Green and looking to get into my first Macan advice please?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ramaya

Post by Ramaya »

People hello I'm sure people have asked these questions loads of times but I genuinely good not find anything related to my situation so here we go.

I am between these two cars:

Macan 2016 3.0 V6 S PDK - Most of the options ticked apart from Sunroof - Porche Warranty (Transferable/Extendable) costs (£840/year).
Approx 50k miles, Price is £32k Trade-in value is £28k. Full Main Dealer History. I will want to install carplay/android auto to bring it up to speed.

SQ5 2018 - Good specification again no Sunroof - No warranty but can purchase for £850 from Audi.
Approx 45k miles, Price is £32k Trade-in value is £32k. Full Main Dealer History
The Audi needs two tires at the back and front pads. Just had a service done.

My heart says Macan, I am just mindful though it is an older car albeit very well maintained and I am paying a very good premium over trade.

Could you guys please offer me your advice, I would much appreciate it.
Macan S - Air, Bose, 18-Way (2016)

Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Test drive both… I suspect you will find the Audi very wooden in terms of feedback compared to the Macan….
Ramaya

Post by Ramaya »

Do you think I should take the values completely out of my decision?
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

porsche is superor in every way, no brainer.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

porsche is superor in every way, no brainer.
Ramaya

Post by Ramaya »

Obviously, I understand that but I was looking for a bit more insight. Especially with regards to values, one is a 7yo car the other 5yo Shouldn't this play a factor?
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

Ramaya wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:17 am Obviously, I understand that but I was looking for a bit more insight. Especially with regards to values, one is a 7yo car the other 5yo Shouldn't this play a factor?
Not massively - miles and usage/condition are probably better indicators of whatever it is that you're concerned about. The tech is probably newer in the Audi (though I've not researched it) but even the latest Macan is hardly up to date - that's not why people buy them (currently) - don't bank on getting android auto in for example.

In looking at cars of that age I like to consider the realistic running/repair costs. Check the warranties out very carefully and make sure you're on top of any exclusions - Porsche servicing and repairs are pricey compared to Audi, and there are a couple of big cost items that you might get into - and again if you're considering modifying the car be aware if there are any consequences concerning warranty/servicing. I would definitely be checking out gearshift quality and any noises from under the car.
aj13

Post by aj13 »

Both great cars.
All comes down to whether you want a Porsche on drive or an Audi.

Any macan (even a base model)....will still be a PORSCHE.
While even the SQ5 version will just be a quick Q5 in many eyes...
Does that make sense 🤔

if you go with Porsche, make sure your aware of increased running costs with maintenance. The offset of this maybe higher residuals for Porsche, but not guaranteed with older models.

Also, SQ5s are lovely inside, and if you do a basic remap you are probably quicker A to B than a 2016 macan S would be

But on a run, which would you emerge smiling from more🤔😁
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Petrol or diesel versions ?
Ramaya

Post by Ramaya »

kalniel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:27 am
Ramaya wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:17 am Obviously, I understand that but I was looking for a bit more insight. Especially with regards to values, one is a 7yo car the other 5yo Shouldn't this play a factor?
Not massively - miles and usage/condition are probably better indicators of whatever it is that you're concerned about. The tech is probably newer in the Audi (though I've not researched it) but even the latest Macan is hardly up to date - that's not why people buy them (currently) - don't bank on getting android auto in for example.

In looking at cars of that age I like to consider the realistic running/repair costs. Check the warranties out very carefully and make sure you're on top of any exclusions - Porsche servicing and repairs are pricey compared to Audi, and there are a couple of big cost items that you might get into - and again if you're considering modifying the car be aware if there are any consequences concerning warranty/servicing. I would definitely be checking out gearshift quality and any noises from under the car.
The GB Warranty for the Porsche seems to be very good https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... dwarranty/ my understanding is that this includes a transfer case so that is peace of mind.

The Audi Warranty has an excess but still is good had it on a few Audis i had over the years.

I wouldn't modify these cars in anyway plenty of fast for my needs and don't particularly like messing with how a car was set from the factory.