Just Joined.. Looking for a Macan

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jd03459

Post by Jd03459 »

Hi All,

after narrowing down a few options, i have finally settled on getting a Macan.

Looking around a 66/17 plate - what sort of things should i look for?

what sort of mileage should i be looking at for around 33/35k

any help/advice appreciated

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jd03459 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:56 pm Hi All,

No better choice in my view. Specification is subjective in the extreme, I'll be in a minority that would steer clear of the pano roof but you can expect many different views. Regardless the most valuable attribute to look for will be a Porsche warranty which you will be able to extend. Personally I'd also want one that's had been used, not just sat in a garage or only been to the Post Office and back on pension days!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pmg

Post by pmg »

Are you after Diesel or Petrol?

Agree with Neil1911 comments about Porsche extendable warranty and panorama roof. Otherwise, all N approved tyres and full service history etc. Decide which seats suit you be trying all options and going for vehicle with option that suits you best.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

At 2016/17 the SD was the most popular but that was when VWgate raised its head and the SD was dropped.

Popular options included are:- larger wheels, Pano, PASM, 14 or 18 way seats, Xenon or LED lights, revcam, interior leather upgrades, Connect services.

Pano, not essential but without one the interior is a dark place. If not maintained leaks can occur primarily due to the drains becoming blocked.

Lights, standard halogen are dire, avoid any Macan with them.

PASM, turns a hard riding car into a smooth ride and it vastly improves the handling.

Standard 8 way seats have no support and would be best suited in an old eastern european car, they are that bad.

Rear quarter vision is poor, a rev cam is very desirable

Do check under the boot cover for a spare, they are an extra

ISSUES
On SD model it is the DPF filter blocking and car going into limp home mode.
Fuel, water and oil leaks
Timing chain cover leaks
The big issue Transfer Box
Discs can wear out far more rapidly than they should
Infotainment system is pretty poor, but if all you want is to listen to the radio or music on an SD card it is more than adequate
Tracking system is very indifferent, many simply ignore it once free period has expired.
Displayed fuel consumption is a tad optimistic by about 10% over actual.

For a car in the same class as a Q5, X3, F Pace the internal space and especially the boot could be better.

Now for my contentious comment, avoid the bade 2.0 litre it is way to underpowered for the size of car, a Beamer 118D can out accelerate one, I know because one did when I was driving a loaner 2.0 litre Macan

I love mine which is a long term keeper and the 14 way seats are the most comfortable and the ride is sublime.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Depends how many miles you do as to what mileage to buy.

I prefer low mileage cars & bought my (17) SD with 5K on the clock 5 months ago. I've driven 9K miles in 5 months. The only options that were a must for me were 21' wheels & wasn't fussed about anything else. I have Pan Roof which has turned out to be fantastic, I really didn't want it but so pleased I have it. Standard sound is good. I have other things which aren't necessary like power steering plus, heated rear seats, full leather..... all things the car doesn't need. Transfer box has been replaced although I don't think it needed to be done. Sunroof drains have been cleared.
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

On the Porsche website there isn't a single car that meets your criteria. You might find something in an independent garage but IMHO you're either going to have to consider an older car or be prepared to pay more. Mind you, I'm no expert on used prices as both my Macans have been bought new.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Couple of nice examples on Cazoo that fit your criteria. I have bought from them as have a couple of others, and a very positive experience.
There will be things to look out for like warranty and service history but the importance of these things may diminish at your price point.
If I were buying a five or six year old car I would probably get it serviced at an independent and buy a third party warranty - other opinions will be available!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Best bet is to check the Porsche used website, Cazoo & Cinch to get a feel for what your budget buys (very little in the case of the official Porsche site) - this will at least allow you to see whether a 66 plate diesel with moderate spec and say 50k miles is within reach or not, Ditto the 2.0T base model (just called Macan).

Once you have a feel for the sort of engine and spec (ie extras ) you might like start trawling Autotrader, especially for private sales where cars still have a Porsche extended warranty present - they might represent better value.

There are certainly some decent spec diesels out there if you are happy with 65-80k miles - one on A'trader from Jardine Select for example. Equally there are some quite low spec cars out there that are not great value when compared to others - the white diesel at CarGiant for £32698 fior example, only has the stock 18" wheels, no pano roof, no leather upgrade, only standard 8 way seats with no heating.
Jd03459

Post by Jd03459 »

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions etc

it would be diesel i would be opting for.

my miles wouldn't be immense for work purposes but more for personal trips, probs around 7/8k per year max i would be clocking up

so the question i suppose the question is. slightly older with less miles? or newer with more miles? need to check the service history and look into a warranty

i test drove a 17 plate with 59k on - 20's 1/2 leather - was up for 35k - was nothing wrong as such, just didn't have front sensors on which is something i would be after. colour wise i am not too fussed, just as someone mentioned above, wheel choice is the key thing.
smithers-jones

Post by smithers-jones »

I can't help you source the car, but my 2p worth is that the SD is a really good engine/transmission mix. Think I was getting 34-36mpg depending on journey type and in the 3 years I owned it from 09/15 it was faultless. Inc the Pano roof. PASM transforms the ride and handling, and is well worth looking for. Didn't have a reversing cam on mine and I regretted it as the standard PDC was over-sensitive to the point I ignored it, and once when I shouldn't have done so. The drive experience is, on my humble opinion, excellent and more than outweighs the negatives of the cars. They aren't the quickest, but I'm no lights jockey, and I've owned some seriously quick cars which I've never taken full advantage of, and the macan happily keeps up with traffic and sets a good pace if pushed on.

Don't ignore the base 2 litre: I had a couple as loaners over the years and I was genuinely surprised that Porsche have managed to get so much out of that engine and transmission combination: worth a try of one should the chance arise.

Wheels and colour combinations weigh heavily on the cars' appearance. But that's your personal choice from what you can source
Best, Ade

Incoming:
Papaya GTS build PPTLLZB0
Aurora Blue Cupra Born V3 77kW

Current:
BMW E92 330D Le Mans Blue

Previously loved:
2015 Sapphire Blue Macan SD
2014 Sapphire Blue 981S Cayman
2016 Racing Yellow 981GTS Cayman
Variety of ALPINA