Help me get my first Porsche please!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
TonyS123

Post by TonyS123 »

Wow! I didn't expect to receive such helpful advice so quickly - so thank you everyone for your input so far!

I do enjoy listening to music in my car and a good quality system will help! We test drove the GTS which had the Bose speakers in so I do not currently know what the standard speakers sound like, but I have a feeling I will opt for the Bose. I would love to go for the Burmester, but cannot justify the £3k+ tag!

Thanks for the advice re Comfort Access and the Illuminated Door Sill Guards - I will remove these. It would be nice to be able to drive without putting the key in the ignition, however definitely do not want to compromise security for that feature.

I also hear the point regarding the heated steering wheel but I feel I could probably live without this?

With regards to the tyre sealing compound and compressor / spare wheel - I am definitely going to struggle to change the tyre myself so will have to rely on the Roadside Assistance in any case. Would I therefore be ok without the compressor and spare wheel?

Thanks everyone again!!

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 pm
Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 pm I’m planning on carrying a spare for someone else to change the wheel :D. What I don’t want is a service to come out and force me to take an expensive tyre that’s not Porsche recommended and affect warranty.

I’d never use or allow to be used one of those stupid scissor jacks. Once had a car fall off of one :(
I'm with you. I was stuck in France without a spare and had to wait 3 days for a small town garage to source a replacement tyre at a cost of £500. If I'd been able to get to the nearest large town I could have changed it same day for half the cost.
I think this is good enough a reason for me to stay with the spare. I have no intention of jacking my Macan up myself though :D
Macan S MY 2023
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The real problem with Porsche's Comfort Access is that there's a dummy key sitting in the ignition slot (to start/stop the engine) and nowhere to store the comfort access key. So the car always looks as if you've parked it and left the key in and you are still carrying a key around.

If you test drove a Gen 3 GTS it will have been on air suspension and 21" wheels. Make sure you're happy with the ride of the S on steel suspension and 20" wheels. Admittedly, the S suspension is supposed to be softer than the GTS.

If you saw illuminated sills during the GTS test drive they will have been black brushed aluminium to match the interior. I've got them on my Gen 2 GTS and think they look great but you're probably right to skip them on an S unless you go for the aluminium interior.

I've been on this forum for more than six years and the debate about spare wheels has been going on for nearly as long. You can buy a compressor (mine is by Ring) and sealing compound for less than the £42 charged by Porsche. The one that came as standard on my SD linked to the terminals under the bonnet whereas most commercially available ones will plug into the onboard 12V sockets. Risking fate :D , it was 1973/74 when I last had a puncture that brought me to an immediate stand. In any event, the standard wheels will not fit into the spare wheel well so IMHO it's better to rely on Porsche Assistance or RAC/AA.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

On-Track wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 am Hi and welcome to the forum.

The real problem with Porsche's Comfort Access is that there's a dummy key sitting in the ignition slot (to start/stop the engine) and nowhere to store the comfort access key. So the car always looks as if you've parked it and left the key in and you are still carrying a key around.

If you test drove a Gen 3 GTS it will have been on air suspension and 21" wheels. Make sure you're happy with the ride of the S on steel suspension and 20" wheels. Admittedly, the S suspension is supposed to be softer than the GTS.

If you saw illuminated sills during the GTS test drive they will have been black brushed aluminium to match the interior. I've got them on my Gen 2 GTS and think they look great but you're probably right to skip them on an S unless you go for the aluminium interior.

I've been on this forum for more than six years and the debate about spare wheels has been going on for nearly as long. You can buy a compressor (mine is by Ring) and sealing compound for less than the £42 charged by Porsche. The one that came as standard on my SD linked to the terminals under the bonnet whereas most commercially available ones will plug into the onboard 12V sockets. Risking fate :D , it was 1973/74 when I last had a puncture that brought me to an immediate stand. In any event, the standard wheels will not fit into the spare wheel well so IMHO it's better to rely on Porsche Assistance or RAC/AA.
Soundss like a simple question but can you point out or link to the compressor and sealing compound you bought/recommend. I didn't think £42 was a huge cost to add to spec but if it is better value elsewhere then I would opt for that
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 pm I’m planning on carrying a spare for someone else to change the wheel :D. What I don’t want is a service to come out and force me to take an expensive tyre that’s not Porsche recommended and affect warranty.

I’d never use or allow to be used one of those stupid scissor jacks. Once had a car fall off of one :(
I'm with you. I was stuck in France without a spare and had to wait 3 days for a small town garage to source a replacement tyre at a cost of £500. If I'd been able to get to the nearest large town I could have changed it same day for half the cost.
Did your Roadside Assistance company not arrange for a replacement tyre to be sourced and fitted or your vehicle to be recovered to the nearest large town tyre dealer?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

£42 for the Porsche sealant and compressor is good value - at least you know that the sealant volume is right for the tyres, and it stores securely . The Porsche spare wheel is heavy, and awkward to drag out - if i was desperate I'd use it but would always try to keep a tyre inflated to get cautiously to a tyre shop. With a boot liner and dog cage in the back it would be a prolonged effort to fit the spare and the deflated wheel would have to go in the cabin somewhere.

I'd drop the illuminated sills and the comfort access as already stated by others. I don't find the steering a problem at low speeds so you could also save a bit on the power steering plus option. Dropping those three would almost pay for the panoramic sunroof, which will bring plenty of light into the cabin.

Heated steering wheel is a nice addition, its the one item you have contact with almost permanently. I've had heated windscreens on previous cars and they work fine, but wouldn't option one myself.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

martinto8 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 am
On-Track wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 am Hi and welcome to the forum.

Soundss like a simple question but can you point out or link to the compressor and sealing compound you bought/recommend. I didn't think £42 was a huge cost to add to spec but if it is better value elsewhere then I would opt for that
This is the latest version which has now increased in price to £39 but there are cheaper ring compressors on Amazon.

This is the tyre sealant I use.

It look as if it's still possible to get a compressor and tyre sealant for £31, just not the ones I purchased some years ago.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

87F9E216-8DF0-453B-AD47-BC504A41096D.jpeg

Sealant would not seal this.

I had no mobile phone signal.

It was 16:00 when it happened.

Changed the wheel and dropped it off at OPC just before they closed.

Drove home slowly.

Next day a loan car was arranged and my Macan transferred to OPC via Porsche Assist.

Having a spare wheel (which includes an air compressor) gives you OPTIONS, you do not have to change the flat yourself.

Buying a can or two of sealant inflator as well as specifying a spare is the best advice you will receive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The AA's multi-fit spare wheel solution.

Innovative solution for cars that don't have a spare wheel:

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom ... -fit-wheel
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am
Did your Roadside Assistance company not arrange for a replacement tyre to be sourced and fitted or your vehicle to be recovered to the nearest large town tyre dealer?
In a hindsight world, I wish I'd had that foresight . But I had no choice in where I was taken. AA 5 Star do the bare minimum.

No. We were picked up and taken to the nearest tyre garage and dropped off. After much head scratching they didn't have one in stock. They then called their supplier who couldn't deliver until "demain". We got a taxi back to the hotel. Demain was Saturday but in true French fashion it translated into Lundi. Once fleeced of just under €600 we set off home and I stopped at a French kwik fit equivalent to check that the offside rear was OK for the 1000 mile journey home. It was but if I wanted a new one it would be €300.

If I had had a spare I would have been able to drive to the nearest kwik fit and all would have been fine.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6