Newbie - Macan Turbo Gen 1

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
phild

Post by phild »

Evenin' all!

Long time lurker, first time poster...!

Having been a sometime Porsche Owner:
  • 2004 996 C4S (first love...)
    1995 993 Turbo (well, you HAVE to really)
    2010 Panamera S V8 (heartbreaker, too soon to talk about it)
I am now thinking of dipping my toe into Macan-land. Am starting with a 40k budget and have plumped for the Gen 1 Turbo. I did think about a GTS, but was attracted by forced induction... ;)

Would be curious to know if anyone as any feedback on the Gen 1 Turbo.

Have found a likely candidate and will post the advert shortly.

Thanks!

Phil

andreas

Post by andreas »

phild wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:11 pm I did think about a GTS, but was attracted by forced induction... ;)
Welcome to the forums!

The Macan S, GTS and Turbo all have twin-turbo engines, just with differing power outputs.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Gen 1 S and GTS had a 3.0 litre power plant whilst the Turbo and Turbo PP had 3.6 litre units.

The standard Turbo is a bit quicker than the GTS in a sprint but the GTS should be able to pull awsy in the twisties thanks to its tuned suspension.

The Turbo is an effortless car to drive, so much so I rarely take mine into Sport or Sport+ mode.

MPG indicated on the MFD for me has ranged from 22 to 30 with about 23/24 a good average over the five + years that I have been running mine.

No significant faults at all since new.

Specs will be all over the place but the Turbo had more standard features to start off with.

My own comments on suggested options to look out for:-
Pano, lightens a dark interior
Rev Cam highly desirable but Sur Cam vastly better
Two versions of the infotainment system were available, Connect and Connect+ so do your homework

Desirable to have a spare wheel but if one is not included do buy a good quality repair kit.

Any Turbo you find locate the VIN and have an OPC print out the as supplied spec, as sometimes what is advertised is not what is included.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

andreas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:23 pm
phild wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:11 pm I did think about a GTS, but was attracted by forced induction... ;)
Welcome to the forums!

The Macan S, GTS and Turbo all have twin-turbo engines, just with differing power outputs.
I believe the S gen1/2 only had a single turbo and it was only gen3 that has moved to the 2.9L twin turbo. The GTS gen2 engine is the same as this. The power outputs of all have gone up as the newer models have come out e.g. gen3 S has more power than gen1 GTS. Turbo is the exception as peak power of the PP gen1 was similar to gen2 turbo.
andreas

Post by andreas »

BanZ wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:35 pm
I believe the S gen1/2 only had a single turbo ....
Here's what it says in the catalogue. Oh, and I bought one.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 20.00.06.png

Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
phild

Post by phild »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm The Gen 1 S and GTS had a 3.0 litre power plant whilst the Turbo and Turbo PP had 3.6 litre units.
SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!
Thanks for the info - just what I was hoping to find!

One thing I have noticed about the car I am looking at is the lack of "Sport+" button , "Sport" yes but no "Sport+" - but it DOES seem to have a "suspension" icon. I have attached "snip", sorry it is not a better resolution.

I've tried to hide the fact it has "expresso leather interior" which I rather like. My previous Panny was a sea of beige with the "yachting pack" - if you know, you know...

snip.PNG

phild

Post by phild »

andreas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:02 pm Here's what it says in the catalogue. Oh, and I bought one.
IIRC, the Turbo I am looking at has a 3.6 litre engine...
pmg

Post by pmg »

phild wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm The Gen 1 S and GTS had a 3.0 litre power plant whilst the Turbo and Turbo PP had 3.6 litre units.
SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!
Thanks for the info - just what I was hoping to find!

One thing I have noticed about the car I am looking at is the lack of "Sport+" button , "Sport" yes but no "Sport+" - but it DOES seem to have a "suspension" icon. I have attached "snip", sorry it is not a better resolution.

I've tried to hide the fact it has "expresso leather interior" which I rather like. My previous Panny was a sea of beige with the "yachting pack" - if you know, you know...
As far as I can tell from the photo of the buttons the sport button has two small lights by it so wiii be pressed twice to get to the sports plus setting
Last edited by pmg on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
andreas

Post by andreas »

phild wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 pm

IIRC, the Turbo I am looking at has a 3.6 litre engine...
You first said you were attracted to the Turbo because of forced induction. I merely pointed out that the Gen ! S, GTS and Turbo all have twin-turbo engines.
peter7

Post by peter7 »

I have no connection to this car but its the one we looked at with lots of options

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 000&page=1
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars