Newbie hello and pre owned advice please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Daveyw71

Post by Daveyw71 »

Hi all,
I’ve been researching for a second hand car (daily driver, family with dog) and have found my way to the Macan. These questions have probably been asked before but With a budget of £50k is a post 2019 facelift S within range and is buying from approved Porsche worth the extra?
It would be a big purchase for us but would hope to keep it until EV/Hybrid Porsche became more viable/ affordable
Thank you, David

Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

I started out last year with pretty much the same idea.
I was looking to spend @45k on something with around 30k miles and went into a main dealer to explore the idea.
I ended up buying a new one.
This was simply because the prices of used cars at the moment are unusually high - so that I was likely to have to spend at least 50k on a used car - when new could be had for only a little more (if I was prepared to wait).
It left me feeling that I would actually be paying over the odds by buying used and that when the market sorts itself out, the used prices would fall to more reasonable levels - leaving me out of pocket?
I'd suggest that you could check this out by just taking a look at the used cars on a main dealer's site currently and see the prices - actually more than new in some cases because some people aren/t prepared to accept the wait for a new car?
I know it's no small matter to fork out the cost of a new Porsche - but on the other hand, it's not appealing to pay over the odds for a used car by buying during a temporary spike in used car values?
Hope that's helpful in your decision.
You may of course disagree entirely! :-).
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

... also , a brand new "S" starts at 54k odd! :-)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Daveyw71 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:55 am Hi all,
I’ve been researching for a second hand car (daily driver, family with dog) and have found my way to the Macan. These questions have probably been asked before but With a budget of £50k is a post 2019 facelift S within range and is buying from approved Porsche worth the extra?
It would be a big purchase for us but would hope to keep it until EV/Hybrid Porsche became more viable/ affordable
Thank you, David
Welcome to our friendly forum! :)

Danny P gives some great advice!

A quick look online will tell you if a post 2019 facelift S is within your budget. ;)

Many prestige car dealers charge prices pretty close to a Porsche Centre (OPC) price, but the warranty may not be as good.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Karpa

Post by Karpa »

Dannyp wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:20 pm I started out last year with pretty much the same idea.
I was looking to spend @45k on something with around 30k miles and went into a main dealer to explore the idea.
I ended up buying a new one.
This was simply because the prices of used cars at the moment are unusually high - so that I was likely to have to spend at least 50k on a used car - when new could be had for only a little more (if I was prepared to wait).
It left me feeling that I would actually be paying over the odds by buying used and that when the market sorts itself out, the used prices would fall to more reasonable levels - leaving me out of pocket?
I'd suggest that you could check this out by just taking a look at the used cars on a main dealer's site currently and see the prices - actually more than new in some cases because some people aren/t prepared to accept the wait for a new car?
I know it's no small matter to fork out the cost of a new Porsche - but on the other hand, it's not appealing to pay over the odds for a used car by buying during a temporary spike in used car values?
Hope that's helpful in your decision.
You may of course disagree entirely! :-).
Perfectly said. Same here as well. I was looking for the used one but found the new and used one are listed nearly the same price. Decided to wait for the new Gen 3 last year; booked Macan S in August end 2021, March 2022 Build and April delivery.
Karpa
Gen 3 Macan S, Night Blue - http://www.porsche-code.com/PNBG63J3
pmg

Post by pmg »

I agree with what has been said so far but would add one word of caution. A V6 Macan is not a sensible buy if mainly doing short journeys. The V6 takes up to 18 miles before the oil is fully warm. the contaminants from start-up never get burned off and that triggers early oil changes 2 to 4K miles rather than 2 years and up to 20.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Daveyw71

Post by Daveyw71 »

Hi, thanks for the replies so far. It certainly is a strange time to be buying a used car! I never thought about buying new but the difference is not as big as I’d thought. Also interesting note about the warm up time for the V6 but if I was going to indulge myself and buy a ‘luxury’ I think I’d regret a 2.0litre instantly.
It’s quite a minefield out there and in what I’d call a luxury budget the choices are dazzling to the point of confusing.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m buying new and am prepared to wait and am enjoying the constant spec messing, but that is a consideration you’ll need to make. Very long delivery times now with many probably not going to get delivered until 2023.
Macan S MY 2023
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Go for at least an S and make full use of it.

With an S you want to take the long way to get from A 2 B so getting the V6 warm will not be an issue.

Do get one with a reasonable spec ie, PASM, Pano, 14/28 way seats, leather interior (unless you find a GTS), rev cam, 20” or preferably for resale 22” wheels.

Do get as long a warranty as you intend to have the car included.

You may also wish to place a deposit or give a letter of intent with an OPC for a Macan EV to get a place in the queue, if they ask for a deposit then it is fully refundable if you pull out.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:29 pm Go for at least an S and make full use of it.

With an S you want to take the long way to get from A 2 B so getting the V6 warm will not be an issue.

Do get one with a reasonable spec ie, PASM, Pano, 14/28 way seats, leather interior (unless you find a GTS), rev cam, 20” or preferably for resale 22” wheels.

Do get as long a warranty as you intend to have the car included.

You may also wish to place a deposit or give a letter of intent with an OPC for a Macan EV to get a place in the queue, if they ask for a deposit then it is fully refundable if you pull out.
Hi Col. You seem to be getting your finger caught between the 1 and 2 keys. 28 Way seats and 22" wheels!
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel