First Porsche - Lucky GTS Gen 3

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Just joined up as I've got a Gen 3 GTS on order that I managed to get very, very lucky with. More about that later...

The Macan will replace my previous daily driver which was a 2020 RRS P400e hybrid. Nice to look at and comfy seats but all round by far the worst car I've ever had. It was constantly broken and the local dealer were unfortunately completely incompetent so it had to go, I managed to reject it 18 months into a 3 year lease. That was in November and left me without a daily and on the hunt for something that wasn't British or JLR!

I also have a 2020 AM Vantage and a Clio Trophy (used as a track car), however the Trophy is currently SORN awaiting me having time to do some work on it and the Aston isn't exactly a winter hack. I've been lusting after a Porsche for a while and I'd very nearly swapped the Aston for a GT3 back in the summer, however just couldn't stomach paying over RRP for a 3-4 year old car so stuck with the Vantage. When I got the opportunity for a test drive in Nottingham's black Gen 3 GTS I thought it was worth a shot, although probably not worth the money for a small SUV and probably not practical enough for a daily. How wrong I was. A couple of hours in it and I was sold, I was blown away by the chassis and overall performance. The boot isn't quite as big as I'd like (I'm a drummer and guitarist in bands and do plenty of trackdays in the Clio so used my RRS as a van to cart all the stuff around with me) but I can make it work. I reckon it's the best of both worlds, I can have a Porsche whilst keeping the Vantage and achieving a fairly sensible daily...man maths is a wonderful thing.

As for the lucky bit, once I realised the massive lead times (my local dealers were quoting 14 months) I asked around as much as I could and a chance conversation led me to putting down a deposit with a dealer not local to me, but with a shorter waiting list. This was November, with a rough ETA of June/July. The week before Christmas I got a call from them saying they had an earlier build slot that the people ahead of me in the queue didn't want, so it was mine if I could lock the spec asap. Needless to say I was straight over there, paperwork all done and it should be built in Feb, delivered early March if no delays. Hopefully that doesn't make me too unpopular on here...all I can say is don't rely on your local dealer and speak to as many people as you can! A friend of mine got an allocation for the latest Cayman GT4 doing exactly the same thing - he'd never even bought a new Porsche before!

I went quite heavy on the spec - not looking at the price until the end was perhaps not the best way to do it - but I reckon it'll be a keeper. I've gone for the Burmeister as I love my music, along with all the mod cons these should really have as standard! The only thing I'm slightly questioning now is the 18 way seats after reading here the the 14 way are more comfortable, however the car I test drove had the 18's and I thought they were really good.

mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Must say I love my 18 way seats but i am wary of ‘sitting’ on the bolster every time I exit the car. There will be wear on that piece over time so something to consider - other than that very comfortable for me now that I had time to play around with the settings properly.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:53 pm Just joined up as I've got a Gen 3 GTS on order that I managed to get very, very lucky with. More about that later...

The Macan will replace my previous daily driver which was a 2020 RRS P400e hybrid. Nice to look at and comfy seats but all round by far the worst car I've ever had. It was constantly broken and the local dealer were unfortunately completely incompetent so it had to go, I managed to reject it 18 months into a 3 year lease. That was in November and left me without a daily and on the hunt for something that wasn't British or JLR!

I also have a 2020 AM Vantage and a Clio Trophy (used as a track car), however the Trophy is currently SORN awaiting me having time to do some work on it and the Aston isn't exactly a winter hack. I've been lusting after a Porsche for a while and I'd very nearly swapped the Aston for a GT3 back in the summer, however just couldn't stomach paying over RRP for a 3-4 year old car so stuck with the Vantage. When I got the opportunity for a test drive in Nottingham's black Gen 3 GTS I thought it was worth a shot, although probably not worth the money for a small SUV and probably not practical enough for a daily. How wrong I was. A couple of hours in it and I was sold, I was blown away by the chassis and overall performance. The boot isn't quite as big as I'd like (I'm a drummer and guitarist in bands and do plenty of trackdays in the Clio so used my RRS as a van to cart all the stuff around with me) but I can make it work. I reckon it's the best of both worlds, I can have a Porsche whilst keeping the Vantage and achieving a fairly sensible daily...man maths is a wonderful thing.

As for the lucky bit, once I realised the massive lead times (my local dealers were quoting 14 months) I asked around as much as I could and a chance conversation led me to putting down a deposit with a dealer not local to me, but with a shorter waiting list. This was November, with a rough ETA of June/July. The week before Christmas I got a call from them saying they had an earlier build slot that the people ahead of me in the queue didn't want, so it was mine if I could lock the spec asap. Needless to say I was straight over there, paperwork all done and it should be built in Feb, delivered early March if no delays. Hopefully that doesn't make me too unpopular on here...all I can say is don't rely on your local dealer and speak to as many people as you can! A friend of mine got an allocation for the latest Cayman GT4 doing exactly the same thing - he'd never even bought a new Porsche before!

I went quite heavy on the spec - not looking at the price until the end was perhaps not the best way to do it - but I reckon it'll be a keeper. I've gone for the Burmeister as I love my music, along with all the mod cons these should really have as standard! The only thing I'm slightly questioning now is the 18 way seats after reading here the the 14 way are more comfortable, however the car I test drove had the 18's and I thought they were really good.
Welcome. Care to share your spec and Euromillions numbers for tonight? 😊
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

Congratulations and welcome along to the forum. Would be interesting to see your spec :)

I've got the 18-way seats in mine and think they're great... actually much more comfortable than the 18-way seats I had in my 992 C4S which really did bite into your thighs!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I found both 14 and 18 way very comfortable. I chose 14 way because I just couldn’t get out of the 18 ways without bashing into the bolsters or at least not without contorting myself. Many 18 ways show evidence of this with unsightly creasing of the outside bolster on drivers side.
Again personal choice as I think 18 way look pretty slick 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Youre choice of course but 18w on a GTS!!!! I have and my fat arse fits fine!!

14w are more relaxed and less sporty looking IMHO and fine for a base or an S.à

Congrats on build date. My deposit went down April and it's being built this month though I defered a Gen 2 twice for a Gen 3
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't actually have a code as I specc'd it at the dealer, so have just gone onto the configurator and built the car:

PNS7UPQ8

Red doesn't seem too popular on here, however it's my favourite colour so was the easiest thing to choose! I really wanted a Miami blue GT3 and still think it's the best colour on Porsche GT cars, although after seeing a Miami Macan in the flesh at Nottingham it just didn't suit it...if I hadn't seen that I'd have been tempted to have it on this one. The Shark blue is fantastic also, although paying the PTS price for a standard offering on other models was a non starter.

The Aston is a very bright blue, similar to Miami (called 'Elwood'), but different enough that they would have looked weird together so I reckon red was the safest bet all round...just the Trophy for it to clash with!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Red is the best colour, congrats. 18 way seats any day of the week, especially in a GTS
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Wotsits, a great result to pick up a GTS so quickly. It’s nicely specced and Carmine with the standard black wheels is the true Porsche GTS look. Both the 14 and 18 way seats are comfortable, the 14 are easier for entry and exit, the 18 look much better and fitting for GTS. We’ve had LR’s for over 20 years, still running one. Always quite fancied a RR Sport but put off by so many tales such as your own experience. Many thanks for giving me another reason to strike it off my list 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D

Great looking spec.. I like the GTS in red - my favourite :D :D