My first Porsche - Macan S Ordered Nov 21

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

pmg wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:32 am
Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 am
One of my colleagues has a Macan and has the running boards. Obviously a personal opinion but having seen them fitted in the flesh I thought they added a bit of extra finishing along the sills and would keep some of the grime from reaching the doors. I also thought they might add some extra side protection from the dreaded door from the car parked next to you - might be completely wrong of course. I’m still not decided on this.
I read in another thread, that someone found when entering the car they picked up dirt from the running boards on their trousers?
I’ve found that on other long term loan cars too eg Q7s and RRS and thought they were more hassle than they were worth too and yes got dirty trousers !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 am Thanks so much for all the responses so far. Seems everyone agrees on the spare which I will certainly add.
Welcome to the Forum.

I do not agree with the space saver spare being needed. Unless you suffer with complete tyre deflations regularly?

Most punctures are slow punctures where you have adequate time to get to a tyre depot or to call out a mobile tyre fitter.

Even assuming that you are in a safe place to change a wheel, do you really want to do it on the roadside. First you have to inflate the space saver which takes quite a long tins with the small provided compressor. Next - cracking to initially undo the wheel bolts, not always easy with the provided wrench if they haven't been loosened for a while. Then - Jacking up the 2-ton Macan with the provided screw Jack. Hopefully on firm ground. Finish undoing / removing the set if bolts. Fit the space saver and tighten the bolts adequately with that small wheel wrench. Oh! then man handling the heavy deflated wheel & tyre assembly to find somewhere to store it like the boot. Hoping you don't have a luggage / stuff already in there! You'll also have dirty hands and clothes by then and probably nowhere to wash.

Porsche Roadside Assist to come to your aid if you do suffer a complete deflation.

I have had one slow puncture in 4.5 years with my Macans. The TPMS alerts you if you do loose pressure. So I inflated the tyre back to its max recommended pressure. Drove (at max 50 mph) to the nearest tyre depot to get it repaired..... You'll end up there even if you do change the assembly yourself. :oops:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I agree With what you are saying but if I was abroad in the middle of nowhere I’d rather do it myself to get going than wait for somebody that doesn’t speak the language trying to fix it his way for me - no idea how good Porsche assist would be in the Alps for example or how long id have to wait.

I’d have that wheel changed before they turned up
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:33 pm
Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 am Thanks so much for all the responses so far. Seems everyone agrees on the spare which I will certainly add.
Welcome to the Forum.

I do not agree with the space saver spare being needed. Unless you suffer with complete tyre deflations regularly?

Most punctures are slow punctures where you have adequate time to get to a tyre depot or to call out a mobile tyre fitter.

Even assuming that you are in a safe place to change a wheel, do you really want to do it on the roadside. First you have to inflate the space saver which takes quite a long tins with the small provided compressor. Next - cracking to initially undo the wheel bolts, not always easy with the provided wrench if they haven't been loosened for a while. Then - Jacking up the 2-ton Macan with the provided screw Jack. Hopefully on firm ground. Finish undoing / removing the set if bolts. Fit the space saver and tighten the bolts adequately with that small wheel wrench. Oh! then man handling the heavy deflated wheel & tyre assembly to find somewhere to store it like the boot. Hoping you don't have a luggage / stuff already in there! You'll also have dirty hands and clothes by then and probably nowhere to wash.

Porsche Roadside Assist to come to your aid if you do suffer a complete deflation.

I have had one slow puncture in 4.5 years with my Macans. The TPMS alerts you if you do loose pressure. So I inflated the tyre back to its max recommended pressure. Drove (at max 50 mph) to the nearest tyre depot to get it repaired..... You'll end up there even if you do change the assembly yourself. :oops:
Having once had a car fall off of one of those crazy poor jacks I’m inclined to agree. I certainly wouldn’t want that to happen again.
Macan S MY 2023
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Even if you wait for somebody to do the work - at least you have a wheel ready and waiting for you when they get there
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

I've never understood the running board thing. They are effectively useless, look chavy and get your trousers dirty.

I'm looking to change out of my diesel Cayenne soon and an SQ5 Vorsprung would have been on the shortlist were it not for the fact that it comes with standard fit chav steps on the side.
I want air suspension so other specs aren't an option, so that is the SQ5 out.

I shall now be contacting my local OPC for a Macan and Macan S test drive.

And in the collapsible spare subject - definitely. I had an Audi TT that had a 3 inch hole ripped in one of it's tyres once by a chunk of metal. Never again.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Cobnapint wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:14 pm I've never understood the running board thing. They are effectively useless, look chavy and get your trousers dirty.

I'm looking to change out of my diesel Cayenne soon and an SQ5 Vorsprung would have been on the shortlist were it not for the fact that it comes with standard fit chav steps on the side.
I want air suspension so other specs aren't an option, so that is the SQ5 out.

I shall now be contacting my local OPC for a Macan and Macan S test drive.

And in the collapsible spare subject - definitely. I had an Audi TT that had a 3 inch hole ripped in one of it's tyres once by a chunk of metal. Never again.
Audi will remove the running boards for free.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m sensing a lot of negativity with the running boards I have selected. Is there anyone who has the factory fitted ones on their Macan? If so, how have they been in reality?
Macan S MY 2023
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Jon A wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:17 pm
Cobnapint wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:14 pm I'm looking to change out of my diesel Cayenne soon and an SQ5 Vorsprung would have been on the shortlist...
Audi will remove the running boards for free.
Well that's a positive. The only downside then is the Q5's steering.

OPC here I come.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

Skyway wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:50 pm This is my first Porsche and the most I’ve ever spent on a car but looking forward to it :D . Seems I will have to wait at least a year to take delivery though :roll:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNDFCZH7
Which OPC has quoted you a year for delivery?
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats