Hi from a Newbie

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

Hello!

I’m in the very early stages of eyeing up my next car and the Macan has made it to my list of possibilities.

I currently know very little about them but I’m hoping I can find plenty of help on here to further my knowledge.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome, what else is on your list and when do you want it by?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Be warned, not only is a Porsche Macan addictive the Configurator known here as The Confuserator is famed for being a Time Sponge, a tweak here, a tweak there and its OMG does it really cost that much.

Do note that the 2.0 base is the stripped down variant, the S has more standard features and the GTS has the same as the S plus even more features hence it can easily become difficult to compare.

Me, I would suggest start with an S and keep options to your own Must Haves.

There are plenty of threads related to build configurations.

My twopenneth as options to add to an S:-

14 way seats give the best comfort options
Pano roof lightens a darkish interior
Spare wheel plus a bought can of sealant gives options in case of a flat (sayeth me who has had four flats in the last six years)
Reverse Cam , surround cam is better, rear quarter vision is poor

Good luck
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome

New or used
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

MikeM wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:09 pm Welcome, what else is on your list and when do you want it by?
The list is organic but other options include the X3 or iX3, Defender and maybe the XC60.

We have three children, 8, 9 and 11, so need something that can fit them in the back and have room in the boot too.

Timeframe is not an issue. I’m prepared to wait for a car so long as it’s the right car.
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:10 pm Welcome.

Be warned, not only is a Porsche Macan addictive the Configurator known here as The Confuserator is famed for being a Time Sponge, a tweak here, a tweak there and its OMG does it really cost that much.

Do note that the 2.0 base is the stripped down variant, the S has more standard features and the GTS has the same as the S plus even more features hence it can easily become difficult to compare.

Me, I would suggest start with an S and keep options to your own Must Haves.

There are plenty of threads related to build configurations.

My twopenneth as options to add to an S:-

14 way seats give the best comfort options
Pano roof lightens a darkish interior
Spare wheel plus a bought can of sealant gives options in case of a flat (sayeth me who has had four flats in the last six years)
Reverse Cam , surround cam is better, rear quarter vision is poor

Good luck
Thanks!

I had a quick play on the configurator and went through all of the stages you mentioned.

I think the S is the happy medium but I’m easily swayed by ticking a few extra options which may tip the balance.
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

Tracky wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:26 pm Welcome

New or used
I think primarily it’s likely to be new but if the right nearly new spec came up I’d not turn it down.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

rjberry wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:16 am
MikeM wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:09 pm Welcome, what else is on your list and when do you want it by?
The list is organic but other options include the X3 or iX3, Defender and maybe the XC60.

We have three children, 8, 9 and 11, so need something that can fit them in the back and have room in the boot too.

Timeframe is not an issue. I’m prepared to wait for a car so long as it’s the right car.
I wouldn't think a Macan has enough space for 2 plus 3 near teenagers unless you add a roof box or trailer.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

rjberry wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:16 am

Welcome to the forum.

You'll be able to fit your three children in the back of a Macan but if it's for frequent long journeys then the one in the middle will feel short changed. If my wife and I go away for a one to two week break we can fill the boot with luggage so five in the car plus luggage for much more than a weekend break is probably not on. The Macan is an SUV but the emphasis is on the "Sports". If your prime need is "Utility" then the Cayenne is the better choice from the Porsche range.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 4449

Post by Deleted User 4449 »

In all honesty my initial thoughts were not big enough ,
As others have said it depends on the journey time with the kids and how big your children are …

I’ve been a third rear seat passenger in a macan on a 150+ mile journey and it was snug was fine for a one off but not the best long term ..as previously said the Macan is sports biased , I would probably say you need to go up a class Cayenne , X5 , Q7 etc .

If you can I would try and organise a trip to your nearest OPC with the kids to see if the ‘glove fits’ …

Good luck…. :)