Advice for a Newbie please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Brand new member, living in Merseyside.
Put my £3K down 2 weeks ago on a Macan, been told March/April for build slot but not hopeful this will happen.
1st few goes at the configurator have come up with a 2.0 Litre base with about £12K extras taking it to £61K without RFL.
Seen a 19 plate S for sale with nice package and 10K miles and on offer at £58K. Not sure what to do.
On paper the S is so much quicker. Currently got a Audi TT 230bhp Quattro which is one of the best driving cars Ive owned, but need more space. Even though the base Macan has 265 bhp I'm thinking the S model will feel more like the TT, just a pity it hasn't got Chrono.
I did have a test drive in a gen 3 base and thought it performed ok, especially handling.
Thoughts anyone?

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Personally, I’d go for the S, and I wouldn’t worry about it not having the Chrono option 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

petew0557 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:44 pm Brand new member, living in Merseyside.
Put my £3K down 2 weeks ago on a Macan, been told March/April for build slot but not hopeful this will happen.
1st few goes at the configurator have come up with a 2.0 Litre base with about £12K extras taking it to £61K without RFL.
Seen a 19 plate S for sale with nice package and 10K miles and on offer at £58K. Not sure what to do.
On paper the S is so much quicker. Currently got a Audi TT 230bhp Quattro which is one of the best driving cars Ive owned, but need more space. Even though the base Macan has 265 bhp I'm thinking the S model will feel more like the TT, just a pity it hasn't got Chrono.
I did have a test drive in a gen 3 base and thought it performed ok, especially handling.
Thoughts anyone?
Welcome.

Do yourself a serious favour and go for the Macan S.

£12k extras on a base Macan is way to much.

Look at this thread, and for less than £60k you can get a Macan S with a great engine, the best ride on the road, almost the best handling (that title goes to the GTS which has a different suspension setup) and the most comfortable seats.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11614

Use this as a guide and then to add to it to give the level of detail you require.

Remember external bling is only seen when you walk towards the car or are washing it, other people will see the car and wow what a great Porsche, they will not give a damn that it has £3k wheels or black trim, or PSE.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

Or a lighter speced S is far better than an over speced base, especially If you need to be thinking about your return in a couple of years time, big loss on an over speced Base.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

This is entirely personal choice and I agree with Col and others to an extent…
The S is a far superior engine without really sacrificing much in the way of economy so if you can, why not??
Re looks, this is personal but I put a lot of store in the look of the car and the Macan can be a tricky one to get right. It is a car that can be a real head turner if specced correctly, but this doesn’t mean necessarily expensively. On the other hand, it can look extremely ho hum as well (nothing wrong with blending into the background BTW) - so it’s what is important to you in the end. Thank goodness for choice!! 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Reading the various opinions will make you go backwards and forwards in the spec but after a couple of months and 300 iterations on the configurator you will settle into a stasis that only changes with your mood on any particular day. I'm now 3 months in and only change the spec once or twice a week. By the time of lockdown I should have it more or less sorted. At the end of the day it is your car, your money and your choice. Enjoy the ride and pleasant Macan dreams over Christmas.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

The 2.0 is pretty good IMO, having driven back to back before purchasing. I would not say it ‘strains’.

We wanted an everyday Macan, with best mpg, lowest cost (well, relatively speaking after a few must have extras!) and that would not be underpowered however. Had ours since March 2020 and can honestly say it is such a good all rounder.

I was recently looking at other cars, which are more common and ‘run of the mill’, which still come in at c.£50k. With £9k of extras and after a small discount, we paid just over £55k. Job done!

I find it ok ‘pulling’ wise and certainly no issues overtaking! I have a 911 too (which is used much less) and still don’t feel I am missing anything. If my only car, I would likely look at a GTS rather than S, but again, depends on circumstances/need at the time and personal choice!

Enjoy.
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I agree with Col and EDZ, a “lightly” specced Macan S would be the better option than a base with 12k of options. My wife’s Macan S was 62k all in, including RFL, and we could have easily dropped quite a few options from it to bring it in under 60.
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Thanks for all the advice. Just configured S as close to my base model config but without sports exhaust, chrono and std 20" alloys as opposed to 21" rs alloys and price of S is only £1000 more than 2.0 litre base so certainly given me something to think about. 1st year RFL also the same at £1910
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

petew0557 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:50 pm Thanks for all the advice. Just configured S as close to my base model config but without sports exhaust, chrono and std 20" alloys as opposed to 21" rs alloys and price of S is only £1000 more than 2.0 litre base so certainly given me something to think about. 1st year RFL also the same at £1910
That sounds like a good option to me.

You might however be faced with quite a long wait for a new S.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman