Air or Bose??

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:56 am
BanZ wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 am
Jon A wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:50 am
Thanks Tracky - it’s more about the look of the car really for me, but I know there will be untold handling benefits (yes I am that shallow 😂)
Low doesn’t make you feel like you are in an suv anymore. Depends if you like the high ride feeling/looking down on people.
Its 15mm, right? Does it really make that much difference ( honest question, not a contradiction)
Absolutely it does in both looks and ultimately handling. The Gen 3 GTS will be 10mm lower, which of course can be raised with the off road or comfort setting.

As I have said before the steel base suspension is superb compared to most cars.

The PASM is even better and the air takes it to a different level. They are all very, very good.

I did start out with the intention of buying a Gen 2 base back in April and would have been happy with that but with all the bits I added on it made sense to stretch to a GTS as the extras are cheaper on the S and cheaper still on the GTS due to the start price being higher.

The base and S are both excellent cars and clearly cheaper to buy than a GTS it's just the price difference closes, quite dramatically, the more extras you add on.

I'm not a GTS frat boy btw. A Macan frat boy definitely!!!

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Low doesn’t make you feel like you are in an suv anymore. Depends if you like the high ride feeling/looking down on people.
Its 15mm, right? Does it really make that much difference ( honest question, not a contradiction)
Absolutely it does in both looks and ultimately handling. The Gen 3 GTS will be 10mm lower, which of course can be raised with the off road or comfort setting.

As I have said before the steel base suspension is superb compared to most cars.

The PASM is even better and the air takes it to a different level. They are all very, very good.

I did start out with the intention of buying a Gen 2 base back in April and would have been happy with that but with all the bits I added on it made sense to stretch to a GTS as the extras are cheaper on the S and cheaper still on the GTS due to the start price being higher.

The base and S are both excellent cars and clearly cheaper to buy than a GTS it's just the price difference closes, quite dramatically, the more extras you add on.

I'm not a GTS frat boy btw. A Macan frat boy definitely!!!
👍 nicely put
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Key word in the first sentence is "ultimately".

Porsche don't publish spring rates for any of their suspensions so it's not possible on this forum to compare the stiffness of the air suspension with that of steel coils. The "bum on seat" impression is that air is softer. Likewise, I don't know if the PASM settings differ between air and steel sprung cars. Ignoring those differences, lowering the ride height by 15mm will lower the centre of roll but away from a race track I question whether the driver will notice the difference.

Certainly, in my Gen 2 GTS the only way to raise the ride height is to select off road. You can lower it by a further 10mm by selecting low. Above a certain speed (and without checking the manual, because it's no in "Good To Know", I cannot remember what that speed is) the suspension lowers by 10mm to improve aerodynamics. Selecting low just pre-empts that.

If you stand a GTS on air next to an S (or 2L) on steel, you can spot the 25mm difference in height but I don't think sitting in either car gives you a different view of the world against the alternative.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Agreed
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Must definitely 100% you do not need Air Suspension at all.

A Macan is an SUV not a sports car and one fitted with air suspension and set low will handle slightly better but it will not be earth shatteringly better, been there driven Macans with and without PASM and with air.

My Turbo has Air which I specced for its improved ride quality, not for the improved handling.

There have been members who find air suspension to wallowing and they have soon sold on their Macan’s.

Bose imo would be a better bet for resale if that is your criteria.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 pm Must definitely 100% you do not need Air Suspension at all.

A Macan is an SUV not a sports car and one fitted with air suspension and set low will handle slightly better but it will not be earth shatteringly better, been there driven Macans with and without PASM and with air.

My Turbo has Air which I specced for its improved ride quality, not for the improved handling.

There have been members who find air suspension to wallowing and they have soon sold on their Macan’s.

The thing is I would like the best ride quality possible. If that means air and there are added handling benefits, then great, but ride quality is king for me. Already ruled out Bose, not worth £100 more let alone £840!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4436

Jon A wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 pm Must definitely 100% you do not need Air Suspension at all.

The thing is I would like the best ride quality possible. If that means air and there are added handling benefits, then great, but ride quality is king for me. Already ruled out Bose, not worth £100 more let alone £840!
depends on your definition of “quality’. if you mean disconnected ( and I don’t mean that as an insult) then go for air. You should try driving the Audi Q4 etron. It felt like floating on a cloud. My son loved it. I thought it was absolutely terrible
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

There is nothing floaty or disconnected about a car on air!!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 4436

Tracky wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm There is nothing floaty or disconnected about a car on air!!
air is floaty and disconnected. Your turn.

my point is we all clearly have different opinions, so the only real solution is to try it for yourself. to me air genuinely felt floaty and disconnected to you it clearly doesn’t
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Potentially going to sound the ultimate oxymoron (or just moron!!!)

Take a risk!!! Go for air. You can dial it down if you want and if you have chrono (again a very divisive subject) have fun swapping the settings!!! and from what I can see holds its value better than coloured stitching.

If I didn't want all these gizmos and the fun I may have with them I'd have bought something else!!!

Go for it.

Bin the Bose as it's £834 wasted that you probably will never notice as you'll be listening to whatever lovely exhaust you end up buying!!!!!

Btw bin the pano. Some folk swear by pano roofs. I don't want to risk the potential leaks caused by a bit of glass that's actually behind me as I'll be driving the car! (That's going to stir a hornets nest!!!)