New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
DanielKans

Post by DanielKans »

I have been considering the Macan Turbo for the about a year now and I’m about to take the plunge on a 2018 (decent spec bar the wheels and no performance exhaust).

I currently own have been driving a high specd X5 M50d, some of my friends are telling me that I will miss the luxury and the comfort drive of the X5.

Has anyone on here come from a large suv to the Macan?

Regards the standard 19 wheels, I was thinking of upgrading them in the future to the 21’s.

On another note, regards residual values, do you guys think a late 2018 will still hold good value after 4years as this is the term of my pcp.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

The way residuals are at present you will be paying a premium for a Turbo as used prices have gone up markedly due to a variety of factors.

I have no idea what the ride of a X5 M is but presume with it being an M it has a hard ride.

By contrast the Macan Turbo has PASM as standard and hence a great smooth ride and even smoother if the Air option is included.

Internal space and boot space will be way less than your X5 where a Porsche equivalent is the Cayenne Turbo or Hybrid.

The Macan does not have anywhere near the off road capabilities of the Cayenne if that is a factor for you.

As for luxuries, base spec is OK but as all Turbo’s are custom builds who knows what is out there that has what you consider important.

Your X5 will be a bit quicker off the mark than a Macan Turbo but by the time 60 mph is reached the Macan will be 1/2 second ahead, so if performance is partt of your requirements then the Sports Chrono option will give a very slight gain in acceleration times but a far more responsive engine and gearbox, alternately look for a Turbo PP.

Residuals, crystal balls are out of the window in these uncertain times.

Good luck.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

DanielKans wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm I have been considering the Macan Turbo for the about a year now and I’m about to take the plunge on a 2018 (decent spec bar the wheels and no performance exhaust).

I currently own have been driving a high specd X5 M50d, some of my friends are telling me that I will miss the luxury and the comfort drive of the X5.

Has anyone on here come from a large suv to the Macan?

Regards the standard 19 wheels, I was thinking of upgrading them in the future to the 21’s.

On another note, regards residual values, do you guys think a late 2018 will still hold good value after 4years as this is the term of my pcp.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Welcome to the forum

I currently have the X6 M50d and awaiting my new S in replacement. The ride in the X6 is very hard (and quite poor IMO) and in comparison to the S that I have driven with air suspension, the Macan is streets ahead.

Only thing I will miss from the X6 is the HUD and bags of torque - The ride and comfort of the seats, I certainly won't miss!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum. If ride is important to you then the 19" wheels will give a better ride than 21" but obviously don't look as good when you're standing outside the car.

Surely, it will be your PCP provider that is taking the risk on the value of the car at the end of the period and that will be reflected in the payments. As Col has said, the second hand market has gone mad at the moment with one year old cars being worth more than list price. Bear in mind that in four years time the car you're looking at will be seven years old at the end of the PCP period. By then the current madness will probably be a page in history. At five years old, my Macan SD went for 40% of its new value so at seven you're probably looking at 25-30%.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Further thought (which for me can be dangerous and costly).

If you live miles in the sticks and have weather extremes then an option I suggest is to consider:-

Keep the 19” and when the tyres are due for replacement put on a set of Winter tyres and get a Porsche set of 21” wheel shod with Summer tyres.

Then swap them over to the 19” wheels during the Winter months.

Summer tyres on a Macan in Winter can be a bit skittish when there is ice and snow on the roads.

Another suggestion, book a session at the PEC where you can drive a Macan flat out on the handling tracks and on the skid pan and ice hill.

BTW the PEC is The Porsche Experience Centre which is located adjacent to the Hangar Straight at Silverstone, they have their own website which is well worth a look. Put a deposit down on say a new Porsche Macan S and you get a free 1/2 day session at the PEC driving the car variation that you have chosen
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am Further thought (which for me can be dangerous and costly).

If you live miles in the sticks and have weather extremes then an option I suggest is to consider:-

Keep the 19” and when the tyres are due for replacement put on a set of Winter tyres and get a Porsche set of 21” wheel shod with Summer tyres.

Then swap them over to the 19” wheels during the Winter months.

Summer tyres on a Macan in Winter can be a bit skittish when there is ice and snow on the roads.

Another suggestion, book a session at the PEC where you can drive a Macan flat out on the handling tracks and on the skid pan and ice hill.

BTW the PEC is The Porsche Experience Centre which is located adjacent to the Hangar Straight at Silverstone, they have their own website which is well worth a look. Put a deposit down on say a new Porsche Macan S and you get a free 1/2 day session at the PEC driving the car variation that you have chosen
Highly recommended. The best fun I've had with my clothes on I can remember!!!!

:-)
bompey

Post by bompey »

I’ve had a Turbo and a GTS and test drove a BMW X4M and can say the ride of the Macans, both on steel suspension, was massively better than the X4M. The BMW will have more toys like HUD but the ride is much better in the Macan. Test drive on a decent twisty road and see what you think.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
DanielKans

Post by DanielKans »

Thanks guys for all the informative replies above.

As previously mentioned above, I think I will mos def miss the HUD and with the extended leather and the large screen, with the Macans interior feel a bit dated??

I can’t afford the facelift Turbo or the GTS for that matter and I love the new interior, would the 2018 Macan interior feel dated compared to the X5?
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I used to have the twin turbo diesel which was mapped to about The same spec as yours.

It was a good but big car

If you don’t need the size then you will find the Macan I much nicer / sportier drive on many levels although you’ll miss the torque and lazy pull

I had heads up on my previous AMG E class. Can’t say I miss it much at all! I had a panny last week with it when my 992 was in and it was nice but didn’t suddenly think I miss it.

Happy hunting
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S