One year with my Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

One year since I bought my ex demo Macan “S” instead of the new Macan “T” that I cancelled , both would have cost the same ( reduced VED) and I got the car 6 months earlier, so a few thoughts on did I make the right choice on the car and the different options.

My Macan “T” would have been Carrara White with options – Pano Roof, 21”alloys, air suspension, surround view camera, painted lower sections, body colour sideblades, brushed aluminium trim , extended black leather and 18 way seats, 75 litr tank, black roof rails ,privacy glass and spare wheel. On the maybe list was Bose and Lane change assist.

My ex demo Macan “S” is Gentian Blue with options – – Pano Roof, 20” alloys, air suspension, surround view camera, body colour sideblades, brushed aluminium trim , extended black leather and 14 way seats, 75 litr tank, chrome roof rails ,Bose, Lane change assist , adaptive cruise, comfort entry, dimming mirrors, Porsche crests on headrests, PDLS+ , illuminated kick plates, extending towbar , thermal insulated glass + privacy, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen and side steps.

The different bits :-
White with black trim versus Gentian with chrome trim – jury is still out, although I quite like the Gentian but is difficult to keep clean.

20” wheels versus 21” wheels – the standard “S” wheels look great with Gentian and are much easier to clean and easy to clean the red calipers. Would still probably spec 21” on a new order. (I wish)

The air suspension ( always set to sport and car lowered) coupled with the insulated glass make the Macan a comfortable and quiet car to drive. You can still hear the engine growl ( very habit forming) when you want to press on.

14 way seats versus 18 way seats – test drive was with 18 way and like the way they looked and hugged you , I think the 14 way are called “comfort” seats for a reason.

I haven’t got Sports Chrono – in 50 years of driving I’ve never had need of launch control and a good press on the accelerator usually makes short work of overtaking, if I needed to press the “sport response “ button to overtake then I probably shouldn’t be overtaking. I’m retired so my driving style doesn’t need sport chrono.
Painted lower sections – on a dark car I don’t think there’s much point in getting the front lower trim painted – plastic is more forgiving than paintwork to stone chips, Much rather the rear lower section painted on any colour, although the section behind the wheels does suffer badly from stone chips.

Side steps – after reading the comments on this site I didn’t have them on my new Macan. The demo came with them – Love them, after a few weeks you don’t even notice they’re there when getting in & out of the car. They make cleaning the roof and loading my kayak a dawdle.

Lane change assist – pushing my budget on the new car but happy to have it on the demo.

Comfort entry – had it on cars previously – car’s always garaged - but could well live without it.

Adaptive cruise – wouldn’t have specced it and still wouldn’t spec it. Handy in slow moving or restricted speed traffic but not worth the money for my type of journeys.

Tow bar – probably never be used.

Porsche crests on headrests – waste of money.

Heated steering wheel and windscreen – car’s garaged so I haven’t used either in the past year.

Illuminated cill guards – nice but I wouldn’t spec them.

Pano roof – had a Pano roof on my last three MBs , specced it purely for way it brightens up an otherwise dark interior. Never had any problems with MB pano roof (car spends most of it’s life in the garage) so not particulary worried about the drains.

Last but not least –
Macan “T” 2.0L versus Macan “S” 2.9l V6
I have to admit that much as I originally wanted the “S” my budget couldn’t stretch that far, so a new “T” it had to be. After driving the “S” for a year I don’t think that the “T” would have been the Porshe that I always wanted. I’ve had quite a few reasonably fast cars over the years and the “T” would only have been another reasonably fast car whereas the “S” is a very fast car and there’s nothing like the sound of the V6 engine on the boil.

MPG – 10 mile journey to my old workplace – 22-23 mpg
80 mile round trip to my favourite lake with kayak on the roof – 27-28 mpg
50 mile run in the sun yesterday , speed restrictor in passenger seat – 31.9 mpg
Annual insurance - £500 this year

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nice write up Scoob, very balanced and informative 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Thanks for taking your time to write this balanced comparison, Scooby, and hope you continue to enjoy your S 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are enjoying the S, thanks for posting the detail.

I too bought a ready configured Macan, but mine was the showroom car.

Two things that I found missing on that Macan were ACC and surround cam, although it did have revcam..

As I live in the North West where to go most places we use the Motorway and ACC is vastly superior to the standard rubbish fitted and I use it all the time.

Whilst my Macan is also garaged in the Winter months having the heated steering wheel is not now an Option that I would omit, in fact it would be a deal breaker if a used motor did not have it, the same with Surround Cam, another must have.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

How on earth are you getting over 31mpg?

On long runs, the best I’ve seen is 28mpg. And that’s driving like Miss Daisy’s in the back 😂

Good write up though.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Sound review, have a Gentian arriving soon and would agree re keeping clean compared to lighter colours. Also had 14way, currently 18way which look great but switching back to 14 as definitely more comfortable seat and access. Heated steering wheel though.. Yes every time ❄️
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon
Current
2024. Macan GTS gentian. https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

A few items I missed -
Bose , it was on my maybe list but £900 and circa £450 for Lane change assist was really squeezing my budget. Excellent sound reproduction but still not sure if it's £900 better than the standard audio.
Spare wheel - sourced a reasonably new (2020) Porsche collapsible + tools via ebay for a fraction of the price quoted by the dealer. The Porsche jack is a meaty bit of kit and I've had no qualms about using it to swop winter to summer wheels, although it was done in my garage with a 50mm piece of timber under the jack.
Mpg figure of 31.9 was with 95RON fuel as there was no 98RON available at the garage.

Only one Major complaint - even after one year of use I still don't understand why the Macan doesn't have an automatic set and release handbrake PIT PIT.

The main reason that the jury is out on White v Gentian is the scene in my garage every time I go in there -

IMG_3321A.jpg

Last edited by Scooby_Doo on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Your MPG figures, off the MFD by chance?

Neat pair of insulated Hormann Garage doors BTW, I have a double garage but just one large door. Zero issues with the door but dropping the remote did it no good at all.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great write up and lovely garage too :D :D
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:03 pm Your MPG figures, off the MFD by chance?

Neat pair of insulated Hormann Garage doors BTW, I have a double garage but just one large door. Zero issues with the door but dropping the remote did it no good at all.
Installed the electric doors when the house was built 24 years ago, they've gone up and down virtually every day in that time and I've only had to replace one of the tensioning springs .
MB saleman dropped my remote a few years ago, had to get a new one and they're not so easy to source after 24 years.
MPG was MFD , I keep intending to do a brim to brim to check but keep forgetting, old age .